close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 break in period

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Alex g30, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Alex g30

Alex g30

I have a question during the break in period for a 1911. As i understand it, you should run 500 rounds threw the gun without cleaning or oiling it. During that period doesn't your gun become dirty making more prone to ft feed and other types of jamms ? Your rails and feed ramp are dirty.Can't that in its self make more prone to fail? With that , if you experience a ft feed or other types of malfunction, is your gun the problem or is it because of lack of cleaning ? After you experience this when does the gun become reliable to carry.

2. gconan

gconan

Always lube your 1911. Do not let it run dry. Fire as many rounds as you like, but add oil frequently. It keeps wear down. Only a Les Baer Stainless model says to shoot it for 300 or so rounds before cleaning. Anything else It is a myth.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010

3. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

You should do a thorough cleaning and lube before runnig the gun. No clean or lube and you probably won't get through the 500 rounds without total frustration. Clean good with some Hoppes, then lube well with CLP or even 20W motor oil. If your gun runs 200 rounds without a failure it will run fine for you.

Don't overthink the cleaning / lube aspect. Just make sure it's cleaned and lubed with "oil", not grease.

4. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Break-in periods on 1911's are more myth than reality. The only time I think the "break-in" may be necessary is after a finish that builds up the surface dimensions; hard chrome or baked-on styles come to mind.

There is no magic number, either it runs out of the box our it doesn't. If it doesn't run, shooting 5000 rounds would not make a serious problem go away. I wouldn't let any of my pistols go without lubrication, not sure where you heard that?

For all my prospective carry pistols in the future, I will accept no less than 1000 rounds without any failures that can't be attributed to mags or ammo, YMMV.

If it's built right it is very possible.

http://www.10-8performance.com/News.html

5. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

I "mostly" agree. The exception was my Kimber Ultra Carry II which was a failure to feed every mag until it hit about 450 rounds. Runs great now.

My Colts never conformed to the break-in theory. They were lemons and ran right out of the box. :cool:

6. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

You have more patience than I do. I would never deal with a pistol for that many rounds if it had failures during every mag.

A buddies UC did the same thing, it just didn't stop.

7. Alex g30

Alex g30

Thanks for the great information.

8. bac1023

bac1023

Most 1911s do run better after a few hundred rounds, whether there were failures in the beginning or not.

9. bunk22

bunk22

My Ultra Carry II definitely required a break-in or something to get it to fire just about everything I put through it. The more I shot it beyond the 500 mark, the better it got as long as I used good magazines. One Wilson magazine was a nightmare and one Kimber made magazine would not always feed the last round. I don't count those issues as failures of the gun. So if that's the case, looks like I've had 7 failures (all but 1 FTF's), 6 of which were in the first 570 rounds and only 1 since and it was a failure to go into battery, about a 1/4 of an inch. I've got around 1300 rounds through it now. My UC II likes Kimber Tac-Pro magazines and that's all I use.

10. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

I was extremely close to dumping it. I was quite bummed but it cleaned up just before I finally gave up. Has run great ever since.

11. BubbaShoots

BubbaShoots

Wilson Combat is the only manufacturer for which I am aware that recommends shooting 500 rounds in their new 1911's before stripping or lubing.

12. Drestin Black

Drestin Black Unafiliated

Kimber recommends a break in.

In the majority of cases I can break down a 1911, stone everything smooth, lube it good and never have problems. Of course if you happen to get an out of tune extractor, etc. you will still have issues but that is not a "break in" issue. I recommend doing it to any production 1911, stoning goes a long way.

I also do it to magazines with steel followers.

"Break in" on most production 1911's is due to lack of attention in stoning burr's, etc.

I had A Dan Wesson Cbob jam up so tight I barely got it apart the first time, had to take a rubber mallet to it (among other things). I did my usual stoning after I finally got it broke down and it was fine.

13. brzusa.1911

brzusa.1911

What is your source for this info? I own a LB stainless steel and nowhere says that, I have also spoken to Les Baer himself about not cleaning the gun during the first 500 and he said it was not necessary, keep it running wet! I field strip both of my LBs before first range, and after every trip to the range - both flawless!

As far as break in period, I say if a gun chokes from the first couple of mags the gun has a problem. The "break in" is necessary to make the gun run smoother, smooth the trigger...remember 1911s are all metal, no plastic! Some lapping is necessary for the gun to run at its best and I think that 500-1000 rounds you will feel you have a different, better, gun the when you first took to the range!

14. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Agreed. Those parts need some time to effectively "mate" to eachother. Note how much smoother the action is after several hundred(or thousand)rounds.

15. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Les Baer did for the most part start this nonsence decade ago.

"Take the gun out shoot it 500 time and to not clean it. Add CLP to keep it wet.
    If it is a 1.5 gun shoot it 1000 times. Do not call me if the gun is malfuntioning unless you have hit the recommended reound count with Federal ball. If you do I will cuss you out and hang up!!":rofl:

As much as I love Baer's, that was bullhocky.

If the gun doesn't run after a mag.....something is wrong. Fix it.

If the gun magically fixes itself after 500 rounds...there was still something wrong. The extractor was to tight, the slide/frame needed more lapping, there was a burr in the chamber..... Something was wrong.

16. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

:agree:

Except for Colt. It's in its own league.

NIB WWI 1918 Reproduction:

[​IMG]

After 37 rounds - snapped extractor. Great machining quality on a $1k pistol, huh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  17. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

Could not agree more Cobra.. glad to know I am not the only Colt hater around

18. gconan

gconan

That is good to know now. However I saw it at the 1911 Forum someone posted a pick of the instructions that was shipped with a Stainless Baer. That was at least a year ago, so it sounds like a change of policy.

19. paul45

paul45

Ok, now that there is just funny! :rofl:

20. woodrowNC

woodrowNC

i feel the same way, except you spelled it wrong. should read kimber.