1911 and Glock, the bad and the ugly?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Putok-Glock, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

"Finally , a topic about shooting
    I'm curious
    What is different sa glok and 1911?
    My friends shoot both w/ no prob naman please relate"

First, these are just my opinions from my experience.

Anybody who had handled a glock and a 1911 can compare the differences b/n these two great pistols. These are quite obvious. From design, manufacturing, materials used, weight, rifling, trigger,handling characteristics, feel, etc. THey are miles apart from each other. Different hardwares need different softwares. At least thats my experience. And logic.

I had learned to shoot a pistol first w/ a glock in 2004. I shot it in Prod div in 9mm then later in Std div in cal.40. In my early days in std div w/ a glock, my buddies and most competitors are one in opinion that I was at a disadvantage w/ a glock competing w/ 1911-equipped shooters. But my belief was that I was at an advantage w/ a gk35. And my match results attested that I was right in my belief. In both divs I had good results w/ a glock.

Then after the Bog Anniv shoot last Nov 2006, I decided that my 2007 new years resolution would be to shoot 1911 in standards.

:hugs: I thought it would be a walk in the park. But, boy, I was mistaken! As all shooters who are in the same line of thinking, i think. Whatever skills I had for glock, I could not carry them over to my 1911! Oh yes, I can shoot the 1911 in any situation but not in a PPSA sanctioned IPSC match! And w/ not so good results.

In the first 2 months, the moment I drew my para from my rig, my confidence was gone. Its s.a. trigger bothered me so i must be carefull or i might a.d. At presentation, the sights would not automatically align w/ my target as they used to be in my g35 bcos the grip angle is different and its weight is really heavy and balances queerly in my hands. Whenever I had to reload, my thumb must reach out hard to hit the mag release button and my weak hand had to firmly grab the spare mag bcos its much heavier and slippery. Its recoil impulse is different so much so that my glock timing is totally off. The first time I encountered these realities, I nearly gave up. Thought it was easier to return and shoot my g35 and improve on it than to shoot my para but start from square one and learn new technics thats applicable for 1911. The latter option though more difficult in my situation, got the better of me. Now, three mos. into 2007, Im still struggling w/ my para. But Im happy w/ it.:)

I envy those who can shoot both 1911 and glock w/ profficiency. Me, I have to give up one to learn the other. I can only serve one master at a time. Or maybe, it depends on how I define the word "shoot.";)

2. jasonub

jasonub

your answer is drifire. Si JR speed. uses a glock sa production and 1911 sa standard. he is very good with both platforms, but practice pa rin ang kailangan.

Currently, I suck at steel with my LDA but im very proficient with my SVI on steel.

this is due to lack of practice/dryfire. But i will concentrate using the LDA till i can see my name in the top 3 in production division like sa standard division.

Ill give it 6 months, If i fail ill sell this sucker and go back to standard division:thumbsup:

3. 9MX

9MX Rei!

if i'm not mistaken...

there was a timejerome morales and jag lejano briefly switched to glocks and had good results.
    anthony sy is now competing with a glock 17, iirc he would take 1st place every now and then

4. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Maybe I can switch btn 2 platforms after learning good the 1911. On 2nd thought, di kaya practicing on one platform eats up your time and attention you are supposed to spend on the other plarform? Also, maybe they can do it as long as the glock is 9mm and the 1911 is major cal. What if both are in .40? in my experience, the diff in recoil impulse is very noticeable when both are in .40. And diff. recoil management often results to different technic. Or, it is also possible to be good on both but not as masterfully if you only practice one platform.

Too many variables, too many ifs...makes it more interesting. But if I try to tread each path of variables I might get lost and end up nowhere.:upeyes:

5. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

What Im really saying is, transitioning from one platform to another requires lots of time and correct practice. I cant just jump from one to the other like flicking a switch. Each has its pecularities that require careful study and learning. As Jason says, dry fire, practice, range time, etc... whatever, it must be done correctly and cannot be rushed. Never a walk in the park. But never be afraid of change...

6. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

mahirap talaga mag transition between platforms. dryfire and range time kelangan.

but its more fun kickin' butt with your g35 all those 1911 jocks, di ba? :supergrin:

7. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Not exactly, doc. Though I admit kickin' butt is really fun, he he he...it doesnt happen often enough to earn braggin' rights;) The greatest satisfaction for me is the challenge. It is because of my great respect to you 1911 shooters.

Btw doc, totoo ba abstain ka daw ngayon sa shooting? Yan balita ko sa BRPG nung hinanap kita.

8. Allegra

Allegra

I used to be a std shooter, nag production lang ako just when I stopped shooting
    Binigay lang ng PBD yung baril ko just a week before the Prod Nationals
    Parang buong linggo hawak ko yung baril pati pagtulog hehe

The guys abve are corrct
    Dryfire lng katapat nyan ( wag mo rin bitawan ng isang linggo hehe )
    Pero stick w/ one gun muna gugulo lang muscle memory mo
    Pagsanay na sanay ka na sa isa , mas madali mag switch sa ibang platform
    Plus stop thinking mahirap , isispin mo madali :) it helps

9. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

P-G: No, wala pa kasi yung PTT ko. Besides, Sat. may work pa ako. I just applied last weekend through armscor. Since nasunog Comelec building, baka matagalan na release ng mga ptt's.

I tried Mark the Spark's G35 last weekend. Very good sight combo and trigger pull!

the only thing that bothers me with the glocks is the high incidence rates of slide breakages. di bale sana kung madali magpa warranty sa mga local dealers.

10. MR_BIG

MR_BIG

sakin di pa dating:sad:

11. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Pagnagkataon pala, you can't shoot the whole election season. Abt work, storbo talaga yan sa shooting so what I did was avoid it as much as possible. You can always follow my footsteps if you want. :supergrin: I wont charge any royalty to a BoG.

Up to now, my g35 wears dawson fo front and glk rear. I use green fo, red/orange is too bright for me bcoz when the target requires greater precision I usually concentrate on the black outlines of the sights. And my trigger was stock w/ 3.5# connector. I was and will always be interested in improving the trigger as atmarcella had in another thread. I will try to see him in san pablo on the 31st to share w/ his trigger success. I dont know Mark the Spark. How improved was his glock trigger? Hope i can meet him in the future.

I know you are aware of the breakage of my gk35 slide 2 yrs(?) ago. It can be avoided by using snap cap while dry firing., Or use a glockmeister trigger reset kit, w/c is the best option, I think. Otherwise, the whole pistol is very durable w/ or w/o any mods.

W/ your predicament now, hindi ka ba nagkaka-withdrawal symptoms?:shocked: If it worsens, come to my range anytime. you can shoot my g35 there to your heart's content. Pati ammo mayron dun palagi. Sagot ko slide breakage, just in case. Sagot mo lang pamasahe... :wavey:

12. mtho

mtho

PG,
    this is what JR of lonewolf adviced me to do. I did everything except the polishing part(tamad pa ako eh)

For a great trigger I would go with the LWD 3.5 connector, LWD Ultimate Trigger Stop, Wolff 4 lb striker spring and Wolf 6 lb trigger spring. Polish these parts & the trigger bar and you should be in the 2lb trigger pull area.
    JR

Mark

13. revo

revo

Most shooters have the same experience as yours.

The skill required to shoot each platform is different but the basics of good pistol shooting remain the same.

- proper mental focus
    - breath control
    - balanced grip and stance
    - proper sight picture : front sight
    - follow-through

With the 1911 and a light SA trigger, you can basically slap that thing around while with the Glock, you have to roll with it.

14. maskytrading

maskytrading Guest

I have never shot competition; although I know that "Production Division" is for factory double action pistols i.e.CZ75s, Para LDA,BerettaM9s etc -Glock pistols included while "Standard Division" is for SA Pistols like 1911 without optics and compensators/ports/...My question is this...What if there was another division wherein you merge standard and production together? Who/which do you think will win most if not all the time? Would it then be safe to say that the winning pistol is the better tool for what it is made for? To put it another way; the original intended use of a pistol is to kill; whether such action by the user is criminal or just is beside the point; when the pistols in question here are challenged or tested by proficient users in competition and one always beats the other, then again, is that pistol better? Just wondering because these 2 "platforms" are mostly used by us here in RP :upeyes:

15. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

Advocates of competiton shooting will get a lot of people disagreeing if it is truly beneficial or not for everyday ccw situations.

I view competition as a way to hone my shooting skills, but just that! Nothing else! It doesn't train me to think tactically or to be street wise.

And I have no qualms that my being an ipsc shooter will get me out of a gunfight alive, if ever, but competition develops good shooting skills and that what I point my pistol at, I know I can hit accurately. Pag present mo ng pistol, naka align na agad sights mo and you are already on target and ready to shoot. Tawag nila doon, muscle memory.

16. wingz

wingz speed not power

A very clear and precised quote there doc!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

17. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Thanks for the info. I will try it.

18. Allegra

Allegra

The winner will be the std 1911 ( hindi out of the box 1911 )
    It's just too easy to shoot

19. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Originally posted by maskytrading
    "...My question is this...What if there was another division wherein you merge standard and production together? Who do you think will win most if not all the time? Is it then safe to say that the winning pistol is the better tool for what it is made for? "

Masky, think your theoretical "Div" always exist every time we shoot w/ our buddies, each using their competition guns either in prod, std, open or mod. In practice matches, there is no div classification, basta laro lang but w/ score/time. It always happens that the shooter who is most proficient w/ his gun wins. Proof that its not the gun nor the caliber, whether maj or minor, but the one behind the gun that wins the game.

20. Allegra

Allegra

So dapat pagsamahin na ang std at prod division?
    I dont think the std shooters would mind