1911 .45 ACP in IDPA or USPSA ?

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by ChrisD46, Oct 17, 2019.

1. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

I usually say that shooting is 99% the shooter, starting with the fundamentals: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control, then transition and movement. Any newbie is far, far, far better off to take competition shooting lessons from a IDPA Master or USPSA GM, then to get another gun.

2. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

Once again, I agree. I compete quite a bit and to be honest, I never compete to "win" I always aim to have my personal best. What the other shooters do doesn't affect me much. There are those that match shooting is all they do and they dedicate themselves to it 100% and they sacrifice for it. I'm not that person at this stage. I used to be back in the 80's when I shot IHMSA.

3. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Yea, we used to have a IHMSA club but it died out. Shot my TC Contender a couple of times. Too slow compared to action pistol.

4. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

Yup. I excelled at IHMSA and qualified at "International". I shoot Steel Challenge and IDPA just as fast. :)

It died out because Eljin Gates, the founder/president, embezzled all the money.

5. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Didn't know about the politics. It died out here because the youngest shooter was like 75, and they ran out of boy scouts to run out and set steel.

6. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

It was fun to knock the rams over with this 35Rem TC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bus007 likes this.
  7. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

Indeed. I was shooting the same pistol and round but it was “Armor Alloy”. I also had a 357 Max I shot in Field Pistol and I still have my Ancshutz Exemplar that I shot in .22 unlimited. Man....lots of water under the bridge.:cheers:

8. Webologist

Webologist

Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I would just hijack this one because it is relevant to the original title.

I moved from CA to a free state a few years ago, where I used to host range days and parties with a great bunch of friends. I moved to a free state and now host long weekend parties. My friends come out we shoot, game and party all weekend.

We usually time it to coincide with an IDPA and/or 3GUN match weekend. (Last time both) We typically have a little competition within the competition between us.

Most of us are experienced IDPA shooters, but we had a new shooter, with just one IDPA match under his belt join us this time. His only gun is a new Springfield Operator 1911.

The weekend of the party, only a USPSA match was available locally. To make it more fair to the relatively new shooter, a few of us decided to join him in Single Stack Major with our 1911s.

I used to dabble in IDPA a few years ago with my relatively out of the box Springfield RO 1911. It was a fine and reasonably competitive platform there.

Practicing for USPSA I found that while my 2 Wilson ETMs would seat with the slide closed, only one of my 47Ds would. Not something I worried about in IDPA except at load and make ready time.

My Son In Law ended up getting hammer bite during practice with his GI 1911. He installed a new hammer and beavertail prior to the match. During the match he ended up with a good slide bite cut. His 1911 mostly ran fine, but he had one stovepipe. The Chip McCormick 8 rounders all seated fine fully loaded with a closed slide.

Our new shooter's 1911 ran like a top with zero issues, but most of his 47D mags similarly wouldn't seat if fully loaded.

My RO had about 2000 trouble free rounds prior to this match. I had 2 stages with issues where I couldn't pull the trigger and a few failures to eject and a few failures to return to battery.

While reloading magazines, I noticed sand wedged between the base pad and body of one of my magazines. When I rapped it on the table to get it out, about a tablespoon of sand and little pebbles came out all over the table. After that my gun ran fine. If I shoot another match with my 1911, I will pay attention to the cleanliness of my mags each time I reload.

In the end, my buddy, who didn't join us in SS Major and instead ran Limited Minor with 20 round magazines, ended up winning our little match in a match. I was proud to lose to a dedicated shooter who I got into shooting and mentored.

9. Recon-pull

Recon-pull Billy Jacked

Using 1911 in IDPA in the cdp division, or custom defensive pistol

10. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

The only requirement for IDPA CDP Division is that it be a .45acp. I used to run my G21, with only 8 rounds in the magazine, loaded to Major power floor of 165, then shoot the same gun in SSP Division with 10 rounds loaded to the Minor power floor of 125.

8.2.3 Custom Defensive Pistol Division (CDP) Handguns permitted for use in CDP must: A. Be semi-automatic. B. Use .45 ACP cartridges. C. Weigh 43.00 oz. or less unloaded, with the heaviest magazine inserted. D. Fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 5 /8” with the largest magazine inserted.

For SSP or ESP, you can use any Glock, 9mm, 40S&W or .357SIG. Of course the largest frame gun is an advantage to manage recoil, so the G17/G34 and G22/G35 (loaded to Minor) are the most widely used.

For USPSA, 1911's are special so they have their own Division, called Single Stack, scored Major. You can run a 9mm if you want, but it well be scored Minor. For G17/G34 you would be in Production Minor, but at a disadvantage against the much heavier CZ with a much better trigger.