19 VS 26 (Carry)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ItsReace, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

I don't own a 19, but I own the single stack 19 (a 48) along with a 26.5. The 26 remains my EDC because the shorter grip makes it more concealable (even with a Pachmayr pinky extension) and the shorter length makes it more comfortable. And most knowledgeable shooters would agree that it's just as accurate as the 19. If you have a 10 round limit in CA, it's a no-brainer, the 26 with either a GeePlate or pinky extension if you have larger hands.

Teecher45 likes this.
  2. Mattmangt

Mattmangt

I'm also in California and was in a similar situation.

I thought I would go with the G26 until I rented one at the range and put 150 rounds through it.
    Hated it. Too small. Didn't fit in my hand, didn't feel well controlled to shoot.
    Since the G19 is the same price, I tried that and that was perfect for me.

It's now listed on my CCW application which should be done in another six weeks or so. For now, I carry on my property IWB at the 4 o'clock position.

No printing in jeans and a T shirt. Even my wife can't tell when I'm carrying at home vs. when I'm not.

Can you get to a range to rent both and see how they feel for you?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

It really is a question of which grip you can live with.

If the 26 grip is ok for you, then the 26 is the better concealed gun.

But if you need a longer grip to be happy, then go with the 19.

I have a 17 and a 26. The 19 has no place for me, not big enough and not small enough. For all fingers, and full palm on the grip, 17. For pinky curled under, 26.

In the single stacks I do like both the 43 and 43x, but still like the 26 also.

AdamRodgers and Teecher45 like this.
  4. BuckeyeGlock77

BuckeyeGlock77

I have a 19, and a 27 (which I assume is close to the 26). Personally, I like my 43X over carrying the 19 now, and the 10 rounds doesn't bother me much at all. Might be worth splitting the difference and looking at the 43x for CCW.

5. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

I prefer my G26 with a Pearce + 2. It's kind of like a bobtailed G19. I can get a full grip with 12+1 and it prints about the same as a flush mag while carrying AIWB.

I would need a cover garment for a G19 and at that point I can just carry my G17 (or anything really).

6. NHHS1975

NHHS1975

Another Californian here. Prior to Freedom Week the choice between a G26 and G19 was a no brainer since both were limited to 10 +1. Now that I have real magazines the decision became a little more difficult due to the added capacity of the G19. However I also scored some OEM 12-round mags for my G26 so 15+1 vs 12+1 is pretty close.

I'm a big guy (6'9", 300#) and wear a 3X glove. with the 12-round mag in the G26 I can get about 2 3/4 finger grip, which works well for me. I'm one of those who happens to shoot the G26 at least as well - if not better than - the G19, so my preferred carry is the G26. It's a little bit more concealable and comfortable to carry as opposed to the G19, but the two guns are so close to one-another it boils down to personal preference. If you didn't get standard capacity mags during Freedom Week my choice would be the G26; no use carrying the bulk of a G19 if you don't benefit from the added capacity.

7. Spudboy66

Spudboy66

If you're limited to 10rds go with the G26 with a pinky extension. If you can carry 15rds go with a G19. I primarily carry a G19 over the G26 because of the extra rounds and I shoot it better. The G26 is lighter and more comfortable for me to carry though. Either one is a good choice. Shoot both if you can and decide for yourself.

8. battousai

battousai

One more vote for a 26.

I carry a 19. I have carried a 26. Of the two, if mag capacity is limited to 10 rounds due to where I lived. I would go back to EDC with a 26.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  9. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Ever shoot a 26. I suggest you do before buying. I hate it.
    I have one that lives in the safe, and has for 15 years. It sees light of day for the occasional range trip and has a G19 mag with a sleeve on it. I shoot it like that and enjoy it, otherwise the grip and heel are just too small for my liking.
    This makes the fan boys gasp, and squirm with denial, but that is my take. Then add to it that it is 9MM and it was just a poor purchase for me. I can't even sell the thing.
    Happy Researching

10. Rock2411

Rock2411

IWB or OWB. For me, the G26/27 doesn't ride well in an IWB holster. It feels like it's popping out but a G19 feels great IWB. I'm guessing the G43X/G48 isn't on the approved roster.

buster55 likes this.
  11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I only squirmed a little. My wife hates my 26, but loves the 43. It is all about how one likes or doesn't like the grip.

In her hands, the 26 is short piece of 2×4 :)

LostinTexas likes this.
  12. jamppp

jamppp

I suggest shooting a 26 first - for the opposite reason. I bought one but really wasn't thrilled with how it felt to hold. However, shooting it, a different story - pointed and shot well for me - Really enjoy shooting it.
    it's also my primary EDC - I like the beefy grip, it conceals better than the full size, and I'm also limited to 10 rounds in NY.

13. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

For EDC, the G26 is simply more versatile and easier to conceal and carry all day long.
    In cold weather, it can fit in a parka pocket. In hot weather, it can fit in a cargo pocket or
    fanny pack. With a 15-17 round magazine, you have a HD pistol.

14. oldmick

oldmick

I carry either a G26 or a Sig 239 or a 320cRX. Of those, the G26 has the best combination of comfort, capacity and accuracy for me.

I recently sent it off fir a grip reduction and undercut of the trigger guard. If I like the results I’ll also add an RMR.

But even in the stock configuration I don’t think you can go wrong either way, but for me the win goes to G26 with a plus 0 mag extension.

Wizzz likes this.
  15. Wizzz

Wizzz

OP posted that he has standard mags so capacity is not an issue. Most Californians have standard mags at this point due to Freedom Week. They can use them legally.

I have both in multiple variations and they all work well. Don't have to pick anything to limit myself.

16. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

I carry both but admit that I carry the G26 more than my G19. If you like the longer grip of the 19, you can purchase the X-grip for your 26 and use G19 magazines. I have an x-grip and use it on occasion. I ordered mine from Midway.

https://x-grips.com/glock/

17. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

Try the Sig 365 before you buy one of those Glocks..

18. G19 fan

G19 fan

I have a 19.4 & a 26.5. I also have fairly large (XL) hands like the OP describes. For obvious reasons, the 26 is a bit easier to conceal, but it's not drastically different. I shoot one about as well as the other. I love in a "free" state & I like the additional capacity of the G19 & it does feel a bit more secure since I can fit my pinkie on the grip instead of tucked under the standard 10 round mag. I also have a couple factory 12 rnd mags, but for the most part (including right now sitting in my living room) I end up carrying the 19. I tried the 26 with Xgrips for G19 & G17 mags, but didn't like how it pinched my hand at times.
    Bottom line - if you can rent/borrow both & shoot them, see which one fits your needs best. There is no "wrong" choice between these 2.

19. buster55

buster55 Senior Member CLM

Own both & carry both
    The G19 has always been a more comfortable carry for me
    Can't go wrong with either

G19 fan likes this.
  20. okiegtrider

okiegtrider

My two cents. If I had to choose between them and could only have one, I'd go with the 26. Great gun.