19 VS 26 (Carry)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ItsReace, Nov 26, 2019.

1. ItsReace

ItsReace

Hello everyone, I’m sure this has been asked before but it doesn’t hurt to get a 2019 opinion... right. I live in California so I’m limited on what I can purchase. I’m mostly leaning towards a 26, however I’m not opposed to the 19, I already have a 21 on night stand duty so I don’t necessarily need 1 do it all Glock, this will be mostly for EDC, however I’m fairly larger in size with bigger hands (not fat ogre hands but XL glove size, palm a basketball hands). What would should I purchase for carry!?

2. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

If you want a 26 and have larger hands then get some 12 rd.mags for it. That gives the longer grip you need. If you want to go with the 19, then your all set the way it is.

ItsReace likes this.

3. ScottMn

ScottMn

You can always make a 26 larger with 19/17 mags but you can't make a 19 smaller.

If I lived in California and was able to even get a concealed carry permit, one of my primary concerns would be the gun "printing" and others notice that I'm carrying. Where I live, not such a big deal but where you live the odds are that someone would call you in.

The 26 with a 10 round mag and a Gee plate https://www.geeplate.com/shop/glock-26-27-33-39/ provides a good grip without the longer grip of the 19. Don't you have a 10 round limit? So the larger grip isn't giving you any more capacity.

I have a 19 and while it doesn't print all that much more than my 26 but noticeable. The 19 is a larger gun for sure so no matter where you carry it, it's going to "stick out" just a little bit more and that might make all the difference at times.

PS. I have large hands and the Gee Plates make the gun very secure in my hand when either drawing or shooting the 26. They really do help. Otherwise, use a 12, 15, or 17 round mag with an X-grip and that makes the grip more like the 19.

Teecher45, MedicineBow and ItsReace like this.
  4. Dr_fast

Dr_fast

I have both and definitely feel that the extra size of the 19 is not necessary unless you need the accessory rail. It is well established that there is not A significant Velocity change between the two barrels ( with most rounds it’s around 40 ft./s 50 at the most ) and many people shoot at 26 better than 19. It can also matter, as it does for me, which one fits your hand better. In my case the best hand fed is the 26 with a 15 round magazine and no additional aids. Of course your state laws I believe prohibit more than 10 rounds.
    I like the Gee plate idea I just don’t need to do that.
    So the real questions are do you need the accessory rail, which one fits your hand best and which one do you shoot the best?

HardRice likes this.
  5. Deadduck357

Deadduck357

I've carried the 19 but prefer to carry the 26.

HardRice likes this.
  6. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

If you have a ten-round limit, the only advantage of the 19 is the grip, if your hands are so large that you need the extra real estate. I really like the 26 and shoot it well, so I carry it even in a state without magazine size restrictions. It conceals better for me, so it hits my sweet spot for concealment versus capacity.

7. uofaengr

uofaengr

You really need to shoot both especially if you think hand size is going to be an issue. What good is a small gun if you can't get a good grip or shoot it well?

G19 fan and Teecher45 like this.
  8. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

As stated above, if possible, shoot both to determine which pistol works better for YOU. Our opinions matter only for us and our physical attributes.

That being said, I shoot the 26 better than the 19 and it is much easier to conceal.

Good luck with your decision.

AdamRodgers, G19 fan, Lawdog3 and 2 others like this.
  9. HardRice

HardRice

and 10 rd limit clinches it!

26 all the way!

AdamRodgers and Lawdog3 like this.
  10. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

What he said.

I don't necessarily shoot my G26 better than my G19, but I do prefer my G26 to my G19 just for the size and ease of concealability.

Would you like pictures of them together to compare sizes?

HardRice likes this.
  11. surf n turf

surf n turf

I own both and have carried both and the G26 conceal and carries a good bit better. I much prefer to shoot the G19, though. For exclusive carry duties I'd choose the G26 if forced to choose only one.

12. sonoma

sonoma

I also wear and XL glove and carry the G26 most everyday.However, I have the 12 round mag where I am able to get a good hold of it.The Gee plates mentioned are nice.Hate that you live in a 10 round mag state and are not able to enjoy the freedom and American should have.

13. ItsReace

ItsReace

We did have a week of freedom, I was able to score on a few standard mags, it’s nice to be like the rest of the country for once lol

14. Johnssd2

Johnssd2

I own a 19 and a 26. The 19 stays in its case in the big safe. It’s a great pistol but the 26 conceals better for me. I shoot it better too. If I were you I’d handle both. But for me, the 26 is best. The grip is short though. And I live in a free state. If you can in your state, consider the 43x and 48, too, since you have a mag limit. I’m considering a 48 for its slimness and longer length (helps with AIWB carry).

sonoma likes this.
  15. Johnssd2

Johnssd2

I own a 19 and a 26. The 19 stays in its case in the big safe. It’s a great pistol but the 26 conceals better for me. I shoot it better too. If I were you I’d handle both. But for me, the 26 is best. The grip is short though. And I live in a free state. If you can in your state, consider the 43x and 48, too, since you have a mag limit. I’m considering a 48 for its slimness and longer length (helps with AIWB carry).

16. Johnssd2

Johnssd2

17. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    Since you live in CA, the 26 makes the most sense since you cannot have the 15 round G19 mags. I have a G19 and a G27. I carry the G27, as the size just works and I prefer the .40. I feel it's way more concealable. My G19 is a range toy basically.

Teecher45 likes this.
  18. Lawdog3

Lawdog3 " Fast is fine but, accuracy is everything"

I have big mitts. Most XLarge gloves are too small. I carry the 26 a lot. For me, out of all of my defensive carry guns the 26 is the cats azz. I shoot it better than my 43,19,19X or 17. In my opinion it's a GREAT little do all Glock. I've owned and shot that old gen3 for years. It was my back up Duty gun for 14 years to my 17. If I could only have one it would be my 26.

19. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I've CCWed a G19 for over 20 years and prefer it over the G26 because the G19 makes presentation from concealment easier should I have needed a gun 2.4 seconds ago!

But now that I'm nearing retirement mode (no more extensive daily driving, no more late night commutes, less social activities after dark, etc...) I'm comfortable with the idea of CCWing my G26... I think. Time will tell.

buster55 likes this.
  20. Teecher45

Teecher45

As ScottMn said, you can make a 26 bigger but you can’t make a 19 smaller.
    If you can’t find a range to rent them both at least find somewhere to hold them both.
    Some people love the 26, some hate it.
    I have a G-45 and a 27. I’m equally comfortable carrying either, but the 27 gets carried more because of the size.
    No, I don’t care about caliber, each has pro’s and con’s.

If I could only have 1 Glock it’d probably be the 19, but since I’m not limited I’ll have some of different sizes for different roles.

You’re already off to a great start, the 21 is an excellent bedside pistol.
    I’d go 26. It’s easier to conceal than the 19, and in reality, from what I’ve seen, the difference is more like ~25 FPS, not enough to matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamRodgers and HardRice like this.