19 Gen 5 slide on 19 Gen 4 frame

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AndrewTeek, May 22, 2020.

1. AndrewTeek

AndrewTeek

I’ve been trying to find out if you can fit a 19 gen 5 slide onto a 19 gen 4 frame. Gen 4 barrel, recoil spring, and slide release. Do I have to replace the trigger mechanism? Will it work at all? I like the front bevel that the Gen 5 slide has, but I prefer the Gen 4 frame and have a few spare Gen 4 parts. Thanks guys!

2. WillyM

WillyM

It is my understanding that it will not work. The firing pin safety is different and other internal parts, so it should not work.

AndrewTeek likes this.

3. Mike-M

Mike-M

Edit: My first response was written after misreading the OP's description as putting a pre-Gen5 Slide on a Gen5 frame. Now I see the description was putting a Gen5 Slide on a pre-Gen5 frame. That is not so problematic. In fact, it should work OK for a Gen5 G19 Slide Assembly. (But a Gen5 G17 or G34 Slide Assembly will definitely NOT work on a pre-Gen5 Frame Assembly.)

I leave the original objection to a pre-Gen5 Slide Assembly on a Gen5 Frame Assembly intact below as an extra-bonus "legacy" that is not related to the OP's question: :)

Putting a pre-Gen5 slide assembly on the Gen5 frame requires its use of a Gen5 Slide Cover Plate in order to even fit the slide assembly on a Gen5 frame.

One major problem is the cylindrical flat-bottom pre-Gen5 slide assembly's Firing Pin Safety. The Gen5 Firing Pin Safety slopes across its backside width to properly ride up the polymer ramp on the raised front right side of the Gen5 Trigger Mechanism Housing as the slide recoils. The pre-Gen5 Firing Pin Safety is not properly shaped for that ride, although it'll work "half-vast" for a while. The pre-Gen5 Trigger Mechanism Housing does NOT have a ramp on its right side on which the pre-Gen5 Firing Pin Safety must ride. and thus requires no special shape of the Firing Pin Safety to ride a ramp.

Further, the pre-Gen5 Firing Pin Safety requires precise alignment of the Trigger Bar below it to lift adequately during trigger pull. That close alignment may be lost if the Magazine Catch is configured to the right side of the grip, as Gen5 frames permit. (A right-side mounted Magazine Catch can twist the top of the magazine enough to rub and push the trigger bar right during trigger pull.) Gen4 Trigger Bars have an alignment bump that assures its proper alignment. Gen5 Trigger Bars do not have the alignment bump because the Gen5 Firing Pin Safety does not require critical alignment of the Trigger Bar below it to lift adequately. The use of a Gen4 or earlier slide's Firing Pin Safety with a bumpless Gen5 Trigger Bar below it may result in failure to fire if the Magazine Catch is on the right side.

There's also the issue of the Gen5 ambidextrous Slide Stop Lever interaction with a pre-Gen5 slide, which has no cutout for an SSL on the right side.

So...can a pre-Gen4 slide assembly be placed on a Gen5 frame? Yes.

Will it work?

Kinda'...in a very "half- vast" way...for a while...maybe.

There will be bubbas who cobble together such a POS. They do not understand that just because some parts can be kludged together, that does not mean they ever should be. :)

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    dbuck47 and AndrewTeek like this.
  4. Jarrod37387

Jarrod37387 Silver Member

Yes, it will work with all the Gen 4 lower parts and all the Gen 5 slide parts. You don't need to change any trigger parts and you can use the Gen 5 barrel and recoil assembly. I have done this at the range with my 45 MOS slide on a Gen4 19 frame and fired 200 rounds without issue. Going the other way, as Mike M said, can be problematic.

AndrewTeek likes this.
  5. AndrewTeek

AndrewTeek

Thanks for the update mike! The only other thing I wonder is if a gen 4 barrel can be used in that setup? Take a complete Gen 5 slide and put it on a complete pre-Gen 5 frame, when a gen 4 barrel. Like I said, I really like that bull nose/bevel on the Gen 5 slide, but I have so many Gen 4 parts!

6. Jarrod37387

Jarrod37387 Silver Member

You can use a Gen 4 barrel in a Gen 5 slide. The locking lugs are exactly the same.

7. AndrewTeek

AndrewTeek

Thanks Jarrod, for some reason this seems to be the unasked question, I couldn’t find a straight answer until now. I can finally get to work on a build:banana:

8. AndrewTeek

AndrewTeek

You just made my dream glock a reality sir.

9. SCHOOFSTER

SCHOOFSTER

Yes it most certainly work a function fine.
    I have also ran a gen 5 G17 slide in a gen 4 g17 frame

AndrewTeek likes this.
  10. AndrewTeek

AndrewTeek

Awesome, I just bought a Lone Wolf Dist. Timberwolf TWC-F (the 19x/45 size Frame) and it accepts Gen 3 & 4 slides. So I picked up a gen 3 Trybe slide and a gen 4 ZEV barrel I had extra, hoping this build works as well as expected! Thanks for the help guys!