19 Carry Comp

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Jisbell40, Sep 14, 2019 at 12:56 AM.

1. Jisbell40

Jisbell40

Was in my LGS this evening and I saw a NIB model 19 carry comp for $999 OTD. I played with it for a little bit and I liked it. Currently have 2 N, 3 L, and one J frame 357 so I need to add a K already. Has anyone here shot the ported 19? I have never shot a ported 357 and most of the 357s I shoot are in the 600+ ft lb range from a 4” gun. I was wondering how the blast would be? I don’t mind the recoil. Even on my 360 m and p, but the sheer blast from that gun with magnums is a bit over the top. Anybody have anything to say about the carry comp? Good bad and the ugly(stupid keyhole is ugly but none of mine have ever malfunctioned)

kahrcarrier likes this.
  2. DrewBone

DrewBone

***** Original reply contents deleted because I misunderstood the OP's post and ran off at the mouth on a complete tangent. Again, my apologies ****

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 7:57 PM

3. bac1023

bac1023

:rofl:

Damn Drew, as usual what a total waste of typing.

What on Earth made you think he’s talking about a Glock at any point in his post?

:brickwall:

gh1138, GlockPride and Jisbell40 like this.
  4. bac1023

bac1023

I don’t buy new S&W’s, especially when there are so many available without MIM parts and without the lock on the used market.

I only like porting for big bore rounds, such as 454 or higher.

Peak Fudd and Jisbell40 like this.
  5. CajunBass

CajunBass

I don't have much to add other than to say I've got a 19-9 with the 4" barrel, and like it quite a bit. Good shooting gun, but I've got no experience at all with the compensated one, other than holding it in the gun shop.

kahrcarrier and Jisbell40 like this.
  6. Jisbell40

Jisbell40

This is the firearm in question.. CC3F246E-3D07-452A-BF56-E7D9E39D750C.png

7. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

Sounds a bit near the top of the market price range. Also, I don’t like the sight set back like it is.
    I don’t know that one really needs or benefits much from a comp on a 4” .357. Especially when ~80-90% of the rounds fired will probably be .38 Special.

Jisbell40 likes this.
  8. Peak Fudd

Peak Fudd Amateur geezer

Can’t speak to the performance of the compensator, but I’d personally look for an older, uncompensated 19 or 66. Can probably be had for less $$$.

I’m not opposed to owning a new S&W revolver. In fact, I’d like to add a 610 and a new 66 snub to the collection, but I’d prefer if they ditched the MIM, lock, and two piece barrels.

Jisbell40 likes this.
  9. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

$999, right now on Gunbroker, would get you a decent condition S*W 66-2, 2.5", pre lock .357, and ammunition to boot. It has Pachmeyer grips you'll probably want to replace (or not ). No bidders, been listed for weeks, $749.

I'd take that revolver over any post hole 357.

Additionally, I'm not a fan of comped pistols if any defensive usage is contemplated. Retention position shooting gives good chance of debris to your neck, jaw, face, or slightly less likely, eyes. Yes, you can cant the pistol to avoid, but remembering to do so under stress (and you say you own non comped models) is iffy at best.

I've previously owned 686+ Performance Center model. Didn't find it did much for recoil. Did spit hot gas thru the ports straight up with every shot however.

Just my $.02. If you want as a range toy...I'd still search out a non hole model, either lock or port.

Jisbell40 likes this.
  10. DrewBone

DrewBone

Please accept my complete and sincerest apologies!! Apparently I not only forgot what forum I was in, but I misread and totally misinterpreted what you wrote as well! How shamefull :oops: ...I'm going to go delete the contents of my above response to you right this instant and will pay more attention in the future!

Jisbell40 likes this.
  11. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Not a bad looking revolver, especially viewed from the side without the hole. I would consider buying one.

But man, that is a bit pricey, IMO.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    Jisbell40 likes this.
  12. Jisbell40

Jisbell40

I will look into the older K frames. I’m just looking for a reason to buy another PC wheel gun I guess. I have roughly 30k full 38 wadcutters and over 5k full power 158 SJHP and a lot of 125s too

13. Jisbell40

Jisbell40

Simple mistake. It’s all good!

14. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Have good hearing protection.

Jisbell40 likes this.
  15. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

I handled one in person a while back and was briefly intrigued by it, but I set it down and walked away.

The lock aside, I just don’t trust the quality of the new S&W revolvers. They just dint have the same tolerances and craftsmanship they used to.

If you want a badass carry revolver, I’d be on the lookout for a FBI style 3” round butt K frame.

Better performance and more sight radius than a snub, round butt for concealability, with the benefits of a six shot cylinder and full length ejector rod.

I love the fixed sight revolvers.

kahrcarrier likes this.
  16. CBennett

CBennett

Just the title without reading it fully probably..I also thought he was talking about the Glock 19...started reading then was like..this isnt about a Gock lol...

you know same deal when you ask a question...leave it up for a day or 2 for replies....evaluate the replies.....they 2 days later say THANKS! I made my choice and you guys helped I went and got the ABC pistol! .....then for 2 days you get replies to your question..even though you gut the gun you asked about already lol...

Jisbell40 likes this.