180gr HCFP Blue Dot Load not grouping well: Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Kwesi, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Kwesi

Kwesi

My load: 180 gr HC FP (.401) from Hunter's Supply, 10.5gr BD, CCI LPP, COAL 1.256-1.260, Starline brass (not virgin). I was zeroing this same load @25 yds except that I was using 180 gr Precision Delta FMJ's. The FMJ's grouped well but not the HC's. I chambered a round and verified that the COAL did not decrease (thought maybe it was a pressure issue). BTW: the gun is a Coharie CA-89 SBR with an 8.85" barrel. I've not slugged the barrel. This is my first HC lead load. I do have a box of Lasercast RN FP (.401) that I've not tested yet. Hoping for a good HC feral hog load.

2. fredj338

fredj338

Bullet fit is everything with a lead bullet. Slug the bore, the bullet wants to be at least 0.001" larger. If fit is good, bullet lube or alloy can be affecting accuracy.
    Is the carbine conventional rifled? These usually give better accuracy than poly bbls. You may just need a diff powder, every bbl is diff, especially with lead bullets.

3. Taterhead

Taterhead

Another thing that is overlooked is the interior diameter of the neck. Make a dummy round and pull it. The common expander plugs that come with die sets is usually dimensioned for jacketed bullets.

That means that the inside diameter of the neck is too narrow and will swage a bullet. A properly sized 401 bullet might be swaged down too small during seating. Especially measure the base of the bullet where most of the swaging occurs.

For 10mm, I got an RCBS 401 Cowboy expander. Midway has them for special order. Took 3-4 weeks. Inexpensive. Marketed as the 38-40 WCF Cowboy expander. You can get the die or just a the plug itself. It is M style. Replaces the regular expander plug in the RCBS die. It's shank is a couple thousandths wider than the standard. My 401 bullets stay 401 after seating. The Cowboy version is the one you want.

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=rcbs+38-40+wcf+expander&userItemsPerPage=24

Alternatively, NOE bullet molds has M expander plugs that are the similar dimension. Those work with the Lee Universal expander die and basically converts it to an M expander die. The problem with the Lee UE die is that it only flairs the case mouth. Does nothing to set the ID of the case neck.

EDIT: if you load on a Dillon, I think there are some aftermarket expanders, but someone else here would need to comment.

4. fredj338

fredj338

If the bullet is hard enough, it shouldn't deform during seating.

Taterhead likes this.
  5. Taterhead

Taterhead

That's true, but we don't know the hardness of his hard cast bullets. He also mentioned a second bullet type onhand that wasn't mentioned as being hard cast. Never hurts to load a couple of dummies and pull them to find out the before and after diameter.

fredj338 likes this.
  6. Taterhead

Taterhead

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. Granted these are not hard cast bullets, but illustrate a point. Here are some 10mm bullets sized to 0.401". Both are the same bullet with the same alloy.

[​IMG]

In the above photo, a Cowboy M expander was used. The shank diameter is 0.399". And the "M" step is 0.403". Bullet was still 0.401" when seated and pulled back out of the case.

[​IMG]

This bullet was seated after expanding with the standard M expander. The shank on that expander is 0.397" and great for jacketed bullets. The bullet was swaged down to 0.400".

7. Kwesi

Kwesi

Thanks Tater. I load on a Dillon 550. Looks like I have a learning curve coming.

8. Taterhead

Taterhead

Like Fred said, if your bullets are hard enough then all my posts could be a moot point. If you pull a dummy and if it still measures the same diameter as before seating, then this possibility can eliminated.

9. dwhite53

dwhite53

I NEVER had good luck with BlueDot and cast bullets. Just didn't seem made for each other. Bullseye, Unique, 2400 I have found are THE magic juju with cast bullets.

Just my 2p.

All the Best,
    D. White

10. Kwesi

Kwesi

Fred: Can you school me on the proper way to slug a bore whether pistol or rifle? I watched various ways on YouTube. Where do I purchase the lead ball? What diameter? Hate to have to purchase a box of lead balls.