close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

18 rounds in 17 cap mag.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SystemaEncephale, Feb 6, 2012.

1. SystemaEncephale

SystemaEncephale

So I was loading up a few of my 9mm magazines for my G17 after emptying them for my trip to Glock today and I ended up putting 18 rounds in the mag.

I've been able to do this before when I had a G19 but I simply didn't because it was really hard to do. However it wasn't difficult for me to do so with my G17 magazines at all.

Has anyone done this and have you ever tried firing from a magazine loaded with 18 rounds to see if it feeds properly?

Thanks.

2. JLarsson

JLarsson Livin' FREE!!!

You put 18 rounds into a G19 mag? Wow! :shocked: ;)

3. TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

1) that's pretty impressive to squeeze 18 rounds into a 15 round mag without the base plate popping off

2) springs have a stress/strain point. Going into the 18 round realm when meant for only 17 will surpass the stress/strain point and weaken the spring and may have feeding (reliability) issues later

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  4. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

I have one G17 mag that will take 18 rounds. When I try to insert it into a gun with the slide in battery position, I have to slap it really hard, though. Working the slide with that extra round in the mag is also difficult; there is virtually no give in the mag spring when the top round hits the feed ridge of the slide.

5. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

Even if you could load that many rounds into that magazine it is not recommended.

You should always follow the manufactures specifications, especially on magazine capacity. Is one round really worth it?

6. SystemaEncephale

SystemaEncephale

All valid points, which is why I am not going to make it habit. I had the same result as Samurairabbi when I was able to do this with my 19 when squeezing 16 rounds in the mag (lol at first two replies). My 17 mags don't seem to be bothered by it as much however, the mag spring does give when hitting the feed ridge of the slide even.

It isn't a good idea, which is the same conclusion I came to with my 19 but it is just a lot easier with the 17. They are Gen 4 mags but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Thanks for the input guys, back to bed I go.

7. DFin

DFin

I can fit 20 rounds into a G-17 mag with a factory + extension. Is that too many & should I only load a max of 19 rounds into it?

8. Radian

Radian

Do NOT overload magazines !

If you do some type of non-slide lock reload there is a great chance the pressure from you slamming the new overloaded magazine into the weapon, which slightly compresses the stack, will pop the base plate.

I did this ONCE with a stock glock mag at some shooting event where top off was allowed and it sucks.

The gun is seriously a mess. The empty magazine minus the baseplate will stay in the gun, its a pain to clear. You may not realize its there and you spend a few seconds trying to stuff another mag into the gun before realizing how far up the creek you are.

9. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

What is the logo on the new baseplate? Sherer, Pearce, or the Glock G? Only the Glock G can be called a "factory" item.

Many of the +2's on the market are actually +2 in .40 and +3 in 9mm. If you have one of these types, then 20 rounds in your extended G17 mag is expected.

10. SystemaEncephale

SystemaEncephale

God that seriously had to really freaking suck.

11. DFin

DFin

Glock brand "+" extensions on the G-17 mags. The same extensions on G-22 .40 mags will only hold 2 extra rounds.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012