Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 18˚ in Dallas/Fort Worth area and snowing. The streets are one giant sheet of ice. I don't know how you guys up north deal with this stuff every winter.

·
Registered
24,236 Posts
I live in Mansfield just south of Ft Worth.

I can't get out of my driveway because of the solid sheet of ice,
and now my house's heater is acting up.

Repair man said he can''t get to it till Friday.
Friday will be back up in the 40's and I won't need it then.

Texas winters are hell.:rofl:

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Wisconsin is expecting 24" of snow from last night through tomorrow am

Trust me...I don't deal with it...I swear and yell at it every winter.

Honestly, 18 degrees here would be a nice change of pace to the single digits we've seen lately

·
Tank44
593 Posts
6 below in Colorado at 12 noon!

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
I live in Mansfield just south of Ft Worth.

I can't get out of my driveway because of the solid sheet of ice,
and now my house's heater is acting up.

Repair man said he can''t get to it till Friday.
Friday will be back up in the 40's and I won't need it then.

Texas winters are hell.:rofl:
HEY Mansfield! What's up? I used to ride at the Kowbell every weekend...heard they tore the place down, though...

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
#1 Out of necessity we budget for the salt, trucks, plows Etc. so we have the gear you don't and...

#2 we don't always get hit with the ice storms that you get. Freezing rain (ice storm) and snow are worlds apart.

·
Registered
32,948 Posts
It's 18˚ in Dallas/Fort Worth area and snowing. The streets are one giant sheet of ice. I don't know how you guys up north deal with this stuff every winter.
Oh, it's pretty easy if you grow up with. Just a few days are nerve wracking commutes. Makes you look foward to the Summer days. But when Summer comes and it hits 90, you'd give anything for it to be Winter again :)

If you live where there is usually about 4 to 8 feet of snow a year, and temps in the 20s are common in the Winter, and a couple weeks below 0 down to -20 isn't unusual, then you have preparations for it.

All-wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, and snow tires. Good winter coat, boots, hat, gloves. Carry some sand or cat litter in your car, and a small shovel. Extra coat and gloves in your car. Scrapper, snowbrush. Woodstove for backup heat.

Stuff like that.

And then pick up skiing or snowmobiling as a hobby, and Winter becomes fun.

Still there's always a couple days of bad commutes. Take a vacation day then if you can :)

·
Registered
30,255 Posts
South of Weatherford the temp has climed up to 16.

I don't know how you guys up north deal with this stuff every winter.
A big problem is we don't get enough ice and snow that most people don't learn to drive in it.
In 1964 I moved from Maryland to Texas.
About the first bad snow/ice storm I spent the morning driving the neighbor's cars a couple hundred yards to the main road.
My Wife and I watched the neighbors hopelessly trying to get up the icy road that had a little slope. They would make 20 feet forward then slide back 30.
My Wife saw one lady she knew and said why don't you drive her car up to the road. I did. Others saw that and asked me if I'd help them.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in Oklahoma City and it's currently 8 degrees on my front porch. We just had a storm blow through here dumping 10-12" of snow and 4-5 foot drifts! People who think we don't get bad winter storms down here are mistaken...

·
****** Viejo
29,384 Posts
The Big Man upstairs wanted to get the mood right 'cause the Steelers are coming in for some fun.tom.:cool:

·
Registered
15,731 Posts

·
Veteran
983 Posts
I feel your pain brother i am just North of Boston and it seemd like it has been snowing since Christmas. Another 8inches today and 12 tro 15 inches tomorrow

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I have family in Ashland and you really have had a pretty serious winter.

·
Come 'n Take It
1,252 Posts
40 degrees in Houston right now, sunny sky, but windy. Supposed to get down to low 20's tomight and the next night as well.
But, panic is soon to set in as the weather-babes have said it-the "s" word, out loud, on TV. Right, Houston, we MAY have a snowflake hit somewhere in the greater Houston area on Friday. You Northerners would laugh out loud to see what near hysteria this brings around here. The town WILL shut down at the first sight of one wistful, lonely flake fluttering to land on the West Loop. But, here we go.

·
Veteran
983 Posts
40 degrees in Houston right now, sunny sky, but windy. Supposed to get down to low 20's tomight and the next night as well.
But, panic is soon to set in as the weather-babes have said it-the "s" word, out loud, on TV. Right, Houston, we MAY have a snowflake hit somewhere in the greater Houston area on Friday. You Northerners would laugh out loud to see what near hysteria this brings around here. The town WILL shut down at the first sight of one wistful, lonely flake fluttering to land on the West Loop. But, here we go.
I do find that ammusing, as it was 3 degress her last week with a wind chill of 16 below zero. The snow banks are so dam high you can barley see the stop signs.

·
> OD Glock 32
4,431 Posts
Relax. By the looks of your avatar, all you need are a few really good Doppelbocks to warm up with.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I grew up around Buffalo NY and to this day I've never seen a road more icy than in Amarillo TX. I was moving from NM to PA and took I-40 through Amarillo. The road was a solid sheet of ice (think hockey rink) from Amarillo to the OK border. I was driving my Yukon in 4X4, hauling a car on a trailer and it was a slow go. There were cars off the road, upside down, and doing pirouettes the whole way. Up here it rarely gets warm enough to melt it and re-freeze it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts