close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

17L, Ti-Rant 9, Trijicon MS03.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WA Glocker, May 13, 2011.

1. WA Glocker

WA Glocker

Anything else?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

3. WA Glocker

WA Glocker

TSA,

There's no shortage of class III dealers in the seattle area ;)

And July 23rd we can shoot these things (legally :rofl:)

Hopefully my BATFE approval comes back faster than that, but not likely.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

5. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

I would like to get a suppressor for my 23.
    I have only seen (tho i have not done much looking) them for 9mm & .45ACP.
    Do 40 S&W suppressors exist?
    Is the paperwork drill a PITA? What is the costs?

6. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Just curious, what's the total length with the can?

7. Flipz

Flipz

There are .40 S&W suppressors out there. The SilencerCo Osprey to name one of them.

Theres not that many .40 S&W suppressors because most see it to be more beneficial to suppress 9mm and .45ACP. Even the lightest .40 S&W round is on the border of being super-sonic or not. The super-sonic crack of the round fired gives a very loud report. Even when shot through a suppressor the super-sonic crack is very audible. This is why most shoot 9mm or .45acp because factory 147gr 9mm and any .45ACP round are sub-sonic, hence, no super-sonic crack.

My suggestion to you, get a 40-9 threaded conversion barrel for your G23 and get a 9mm suppressor. Get the best suppressor you can afford because you'll likely have it forever. The SilencerCo Osprey, AAC TiRant, and SWR Trident are great choices.

I personally have a SilencerCo 9mm Osprey waiting at my dealer for my forms to be approved.

As far as cost,
    Suppressor: $????? (Depends on suppressor choice)
    2 Fingerprint Cards: $10-$20
    2 Passport Style Photos: $5-$10
    Tax Stamp Check: $200

And as far as amount of time for approval,
    4-6 months on average

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  8. WA Glocker

WA Glocker

Around 17" =D

9. WA Glocker

WA Glocker

.40 is just not as common for a suppressed pistol. That's why the .45 and 9mm options are so much easier to find. Many people just use a .45 suppressor on .40 or even 9mm. Suppressors are pretty versatile, they can be used for shooting rounds of smaller calibers as well.

For example, some people "jailbreak" 9mm cans to accept threads that will fit a .22lr. Because of the higher volume of a 9mm can vs a .22, even though the hole is bigger it sounds really close to a can made for a .22. Silencerco even has videos up of shooting 9mm and .40 through a .45 osprey. Basically, you can shoot any smaller caliber pistol ammo through a larger caliber can.

Paperwork was pretty extensive, but that's because I went to seminar kinda of thing with a local trust lawyer that got everything done legit. I feel much safer doing that than betting my freedom on quickbooks. I went the trust route just to protect myself and make my NFA items transferable upon my death. With a trust it is much easier to pass on NFA items. The trust legally owns them, not me, and the trust will continue to own them long after I pass. Once I die, my "next in line" (called beneficiaries) that I have chosen will be able to send form4s to the ATF for all my NFA weapons and take transfer of them without paying for tax stamps (no tax stamp costs if death is the reason the item must be transferred). Another route would be to make them a trustee, and take myself completely out of my trust before I die. Then legally all they would need to do was save the master copy of my trust agreement with the amendments. Once a trustee, they could even start buying more NFA items using my trust to own them. You can also have multiple trustees at any time, for example if I was married my wife would be a trustee; she would have all the same privileges as me in regards to my NFA weapons.

Total cost to make the trust was $400 (Don't hate, it was a one time fee to basically have a layer fully on my side if BATFE ever comes down on me for some reason. I know they shouldn't but why not protect yourself and your investments. The can was $850 and to transfer it you have to pay a $200 tax EACH and EVERY time a suppressor item is transferred. So basically once you have your trust set up cost will be (suppressor) + $200 every time after that.

10. MDW21

MDW21

I have been very close to a 40 cal suppressed it is not quiet, it almost seems like a waist of money I would go for a 9 or 45 you can walk into just about any gun store and find 147 9 or 230 45 on the shelf

11. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mercy me that's sweet!

12. Kansas Slim

Kansas Slim Oxymoron Man

I second that. Subsonic 9 & 45 is not only much easier to come by, but even the 9mm 147gr is very effective with modern bullets.

However, if all you have is .40 then do what you have to do.

13. WA Glocker

WA Glocker

If you're already so invested in the can and you have to buy a threaded barrel anyway, might as well just convert to 9mm... If there's something worth doing; it's worth doing right. Some people buy an entire new pistol to host the suppressor they just bought.

14. Baffle Stack

Baffle Stack

WA Glocker,
    That reddot has a notch in it right? Does it work as a rear sight? Im looking to get a red dot for my G19 TiRANT combo.
    Thanks!

15. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Awesome setup. You did your homework.

:thumbsup:

16. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

17. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

I WANT THAT! or something similar. I was looking at getting a 9mm supressor that could be used on a pistol or 9mm AR. I had thought the can on the G19 would be cool, but now I'm thinking longer (G34) is better. I'll ask the supressor mfg when I get that far.

18. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

Yeah, 33 round magazine.

19. 3KCOLG

3KCOLG

Nice setup!
    Here's my G19, Abraxas, GLT22.
    The suppressor is the original heavier stainless steel version, and it came with a separate Neilsen device, but I installed a lighter Glockmeister 13 pound recoil assembly to see if it'll cycle without it.
    Since the suppressor is designed to be run wet with lithium grease, I want to see if letting some M-Pro 7 dry at the first several baffles achieves the same reduction in noise.
    I'll test at the range soon.

Attached Files: