close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by T4A, Sep 26, 2006.

1. T4A

T4A NRA Member

Just bought this one today. Anyone read it yet? Thoughts?

Thanks

2. G31Steve

G31Steve LiveFreeOrDie

I have read it its a really good book,it got me hooked on finding other books on that period.I am now reading Washington's General a biography on Nathanel Green.

3. crysour

crysour

I found the book fascinating, particularly in revealing just how tenuous the success of the American Revolution was in its earliest stages. It is an insightful analogy for our times: worthwhile enterprises are often very difficult to accomplish and the full flowering of the enterprise is not always readily visible for many, many years. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

4. ruger270man

ruger270man Gun Nut

5. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

For those who have not read it, this is NOT a novel! I thought it was something along the lines of Shaara's stuff.

Anyway, it is a very good "journalistic" view to the early part of the Revolutionary war, quoting many many primary sources. I enjoyed it :)

I found the parts dealing with the mistreatment of American prisioners pretty emotional. Imagine being caught and sent to a rotting prision ship to die? Seeing the hardships they suffered under really reminds me how soft we have become today.

6. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

My wife bought me this for Christmas last year and I really enjoyed it. It is fairly scholarly, but not a dry read. I particularly enjoyed the parts about how the fledgling army limped along at the mercy of a tight-fisted Congress and how Washington and his stalwart young officers made the most of luck and sheer determination. Getting the cannon across the mountains in the snow was a herculean task. Surely, Providence had a great part to do with vistory and perseverence by Washington really impressed me. He is a great hero, although not the best tactician.

7. 8Ring

8Ring

1776 is excellent history and David McCullough is the dean of America's historians. His story tells of the patriots who signed the Declaration of Independence and embarked on a difficult if not improbable mission: to withstand the onslaught of the strongest army and navy of the time and to maintain political unity needed for the country to survive. If they failed, they died.

The book describes the many challenges and frustrations Washington and his men faced during that difficult first year. I suspect that you will treasure the book and read it again in the future after you pass it to your friends.

I saw McCullough speak in December 2001 on C-Span from the Library of Congress after publication of his biography of John Adams. He spoke for an hour and one half, without notes, about his research, historical sources, the political conditions in post-Revolutionary America, and the oft misunderstood accomplishments of John Adams. He had complete mastery of his material and made it come alive.

Chris

8. GAC

GAC

This is the next book for my book club. I was thinking about getting the audio version, but will probably just get the book.

I think I'll really like it.

9. craig_o

craig_o CLM

An absolutely outstanding book that reads like a novel yet is historically accurate. I just wish it was called 1776, 1777, 1778.....