close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

170-35 basketball rout

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nmk, Jan 6, 2010.

1. nmk

nmk

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/sports/high_school&id=7202835

2. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

its the american way. they lost. who cares by how much?

3. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

Regardless of the score, every game is going to have a winner and a loser. If high school kids or their parents can't accept that, then they shouldn't be playing.

4. Surt

Surt Jötunn-Kin

The only bad sportsmanship I see is the Lee players getting pissed and intentionally fouling, if that's what really happened.

5. KevR

KevR

Seriously? You don't think that's an a****** thing to do? It's one thing to win big, it's another to completely humiliate another team on purpose. An 135 point loss counts as the latter. That's definitely not good sportsmanship.

6. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Seems to me that Wise wants his own name in the record books without regard to teaching good sportsmanship to these young adults. This would be fine in the pros but I think it is very poor sportsmanship for HS.

7. Surt

Surt Jötunn-Kin

No, I don't. They even took out their starters and put out the B team, were they supposed to stop playing? Maybe if they threw some sacks over their heads and ran around playing Marco Polo while they let the other team catch up that would be more "sporting" eh?
    I hope the Lee team is all embarrassed and butt-hurt over getting stomped. They sucked hardcore, and that humiliation will hopefully inspire some of them to quit what is obviously not their true calling in life, and others to practice more. It's not like it was the Chargers playing a funsies game with some pee-wee kids, this was supposed to be a real game.
    But hey, everyone wants to feel good about themselves, even if they don't deserve to.

8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I'll say this: I'd rather win a hard-fought game by a single-digit difference against an opponent that is my equal than rout someone by a 5:1 margin. State records be damned. I'd be focused on getting past #'s 1-4 on that ESPN list.

9. Dennis in MA

Not according to the article:

I agree you can't just not play.

10. Resqu2

Resqu2

They are averaging 115 points a game and are only ranked #5 :wow: What is #1 averaging :faint:

11. Surt

Surt Jötunn-Kin

My bad, thanks. I mis-read that part to mean that they took their starters out. My argument about the sacks and Marco-Polo stands though.

Agreed on the hard-fought victory being the sweetest. Maybe some of the Lee kids should start with a Wii-fit and work their way up.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  12. michael88

michael88

i imagine this is what it was like for kobe and lebron when they were in hs.

13. GWSHARK

GWSHARK BITEYAHEADOFF

intentional fouls are part of the game.

14. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Folks talk about "unsportsmanlike conduct".

When one looks at pro sports (the apex of sports in America), what do we see?

'Drew

15. Surt

Surt Jötunn-Kin

Then why are they penalized?

16. RioKid

RioKid

Because they are fouls, intentional or not. Duh!

It is not sportsmanship when it is all about ME and RECORDS. I see no reason to intentionally humiliate an obviously inferior team just for the sake of breaking a record. Poor judgement on the coaches part IMHO.

17. Dennis in MA

Let me say this, too: I'd be tempted to break that record. So I'm no angel either. But after about 10 min on the court, I'd look around and feel like breaking the record would be an empty victory.

I'm less frustrated about this one versus the a-hole coach last year that FORCED his starter girls to trounce the other team. That guy needs to be beaten with a backboard.

18. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

In just about every game I can think of there is a strategy in which doing something intentionally against the intended structure of the game is more valuable than the penalty you expect to derive from the act.

Also, I still can't see how crushing your opposition is bad sportsmanship. It isn't like they could just sit down on the court while the other team scored enough points to make the win "look good."

What happens when you're a playing a team and shutting them out? Are you supposed to let them score a few points so they don't get their egos hurt?

If the team was trying for a record and their opponents were so bad they almost made the record, whose fault, exactly, is that?

And, it looks like all of the team got some floor time.

19. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

Full court press to start the second half? That's not right in my book.

If he benched the starters in the second half and the score still got run up then so be it. But it docent sound like that's what happened.

20. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

The battle cry for Lee, after getting thrashed in the opening minutes of the game, should have been, "Let's do everything in our power to NOT go into the record books as the team that got 200 points scored on them." Once that becomes the goal, instead of outright winning, they could have played a very different game and easily defeated the 135+ point slaughter. Slow down the offense, drag out the clock, etc.