close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

17 vs 34

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tactical23, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Tactical23

Tactical23

I've seen plenty of threads on this. They have most always been competition related. I do no plan on doing any competition with this gun. I simply want it for a range/zombie (sarcasm) gun.

I can read all the specs, even hold both of these. I cannot find anyone with them to fire either of them, but from what I am looking at, what are your recommendations? Is the 34 worth the additional $100, in your mind, for what I would be using it for?

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

If I had known then what I know now, I would have two G34s and no G17 or a G34 and something else but not a G17. I also would not have a G19. For me, I could be quite happy with a G26 and G34.

I think for me part of it is the G34 just has a better balance to it. That said more than a few here, any of which are probably much more proficient than I, have suggested that they like the G17 better.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

3. Tactical23

Tactical23

That's what I've read a lot of. Those who have both or had both prefer whichever one they used more. Do you do just range shooting, not competitions?

4. Rev.357

Rev.357

I talked with a comp shooter & a LGS I use in Columbia & he stated he loves both. He stated that you will find the Elite comp shooters using 34,35,17L & 24's. He said; the avg shooter will be served with the 17,22's very well.

I'm going to get into some comp shooting starting next year & will use my G22c as my gun followed by my 21 & 31.

All my guns are carry guns & will stay that way.

5. sciolist

sciolist

I don't really get the concept of a range gun without shooting in matches. What is the point? Also don’t get zombie gun thing.

If you want a gun to practice with and have on hand just 'cause, I'd favor the 17 over the 34.

All my pistol shooting revolves primarily around the 34, but that's ultimately because it's my match gun.

6. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Compensated pistols are not allowed in IDPA and in USPSA you'll have to shoot it in "Open" class against much more "racy" guns (with real compensators)!!

7. Golddog

Golddog

The 34's trigger and balance were among the best of the many dozens of guns I've owned. I regret selling it.

8. LuckyG

LuckyG

This is another one of those "personal preference" things. Re the $100 more: You are getting the adjustable sights, one more mag and the 4.5 versus the 5.5 connector.

I own a Gen4 G34 (October 2011). Box stock with Warren Tacticals on top. Great trigger...nice balance...100% reliable. I use it on the range and as EDC with a Sparks VM-2. Pretty impressive carry gun with 52 rounds (2 spare mags) and +P+. Comfortable.

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

Just range stuff, and sporadic carry. I have had the G17 longer and intitially had used it more but within a trip or two to the range with the G34 I decided I liked the G34 better.

10. Willard

Willard Who, me?

I have each of the 9mm Glocks (except the G19). The G34 is my favorite. It is the most balanced, and easiest for me to make "good hits" with. The long sight radius is a plus, and the recoil is minimal. The G17L is a little nose-heavy, but the G34 feels just right. I know that the G17 is more accurate than am I - the G26 is more accurate than I can shoot! But, I shoot the G34 best. As far as carrying, if you can carry the G17 concealed, you should have no problem with the G34.

11. Tactical23

Tactical23

Well, after much deliberation, research, and getting my hands on one, I ended up ordering the 17. The 34 was offering different parts, but nothing that would really matter to me at this point.

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Keep adding half inches "no problem", and pretty soon you can CCW a rifle :)

13. Gokyo

Gokyo

Well That is too bad.

If I had to only keep one it would be the 34.

14. njFFRescue

njFFRescue

I too am in this "predicament." I currently own a g19 and I am looking for a gun for mainly range and some beginner competitive use. I think I am leaning toward the 34.

OP- what made you choose the 17 over the 34 in the end?

15. Tactical23

Tactical23

There were a couple of things. One was price. It's only $100 more, but then again, it's $100 more. That's 500 rounds of 9mm at my LGS. That's 4 magazines, a pair of upgraded sights, or worst case, $100 in my pocket.

The main differences for that hundred are "You are getting the adjustable sights, one more mag and the 4.5 versus the 5.5 connector"

I don't care about the adjustable sights, I will be getting new ones anyway. My 17 will come with 3 mags so that's not an advantage, and the 4.5 connecter vs 5.5 isn't a huge deal to me. If I find the 5.5 to be to much, I can always get the 4.5 or 3.5.

I know buying the 34 would have had the 4.5 already, but it's not a big deal to me at this point. The longer slide means longer line of sight technically means "better" accuracy at longer distances, but frankly I'm a decent shot, not a great shot. It would not have made a difference to me. Perhaps as my skill in shooting grows I would notice a difference, but as of now, the 17 has some growing room for me.

One overwhelming opinion of a large variety of people was, if they shot the 17 more than the 34, they liked the 17. If they shot the 34 more, they liked that. I didn't find enough justification in my mind to spend the extra $100. Maybe if it came with good night sights, and extra mag on top of the 3 I already will be getting, and the better trigger, etc. I would have found it worth while, but for me, for now, the 17 is gonna be more than I need.

If I was even thinking about competition, and what's allowed in certain competitions, I probably would have gone with the 34.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  16. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I have both. Bought the G17 first, 3.5 years ago. Put ~40,000 rounds on it by last fall, bought a G34. After 500 rounds or so, knew I liked the G34 better. I shoot it almost exclusively now. I break out the G17 only for GSSF matches.

You won't go wrong either way, but it's hard to fault a 34.

17. MP1983

MP1983

All I know is I have been waiting a while for a used 34 to become available at my LGS at a price I can live with...I have more than one 17 and do no compitition shooting, but I do like the feel and balance of the 34...it reminded me very much of a Colt 1911 A1 in how it laid in my hand (which makes sense I guess, since it was designed to fit in the same "box" from what I recall)....so I know I'm on the lookout for one myself...just in no real hurry....

18. bac1023

bac1023

I prefer the G34.

19. njFFRescue

njFFRescue

Thanks for the response Tactical23.

You've given me a lot to think about.

At this point I just need to get into the range and rent both before make a call. I think I may be leaning toward the 34.

I'll report back soon!

20. Rustin

Rustin

Nice choice. The 17 is always a great choice.