close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.17 vs .22 cal Pellet Guns for small game...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PA86, Feb 17, 2010.

1. PA86

PA86

Can anyone weigh in on the difference between these two calibers? Is it worth upgradng to .22 from .17?

What kind of minimum velocities should I be looking for in a .22 pellet gun to take game like birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc?

2. REDDAWN

REDDAWN

Around 800fps. Just about any 22 pellet rifle should do that speed...

3. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

I use to hunt small game with the 177, till I stepped up to the 22, and saw better results. The 22 kills better, makes a bigger hole, and is just as accurate.

I have a Beeman C1 that is over 20yrs old, and produces 12ft lbs, and gets 650fps, I've taken Jackrabbit, cottontails, possums, squirrels, crows, pigeons, rats, etc.

I use Crosman Premiers, or JSB dome pellets, and I can get very good 1/4 to 1/2" groups of 5, at 20-25yrds (with a scope).

I am also like the 'springers' since they are simple to operate, and I don't need to haul any extra equipment.

Shot placement is Key, If you're going to use a scope on a springer rifle, use a 1 piece base, and make sure all your screws on the rings are tight. With my C1, I have sometimes had screws come loose.

I also confirm poi, on all my AG Rifles before going on the hunt.

I like the 22 over the 177 for hunting, It hits game hard and penetrates very well, I keep most of my shots within 35yrds.

hardeyes

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  4. 357glocker

357glocker

Been close to 20yrs ago that I first saw the difference. A buddy and me were "hunting" oppossums from his garage roof looking down on the trash cans a couple of nights. We shot a few. He had both a .177 and a .22 cal that we each took turns using. The .22 would consistently put them down pretty quick and make a good thump when hit. The .177 not as well.

I now have had a Benjamin .22 pellet rifle for more than 15yrs that I still shoot occasionally. It has taken rabbits, squirrels, birds, snakes ect.

5. PA86

PA86

6. PA86

PA86

Oh, is there any difference in the noise level between the two calibers?

7. Caladan

Caladan

The noise difference is not between calibers. What makes a difference is powerplant type, and power levels generated.

Some air rifles have moderaters, and the more expensive ones are very quiet indeed.

8. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Check out PyramidAir for more choices.

9. SinCityGlocker

SinCityGlocker

The real question here is, "will you be shooting cats?"

10. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

If your username refers to living in PA, you can't legally hunt with it. unless the rules just changed recently?

11. ray9898

ray9898

I have been looking for an air rifle myself but I do not have a very large budget. It is hard to tell what is decent and what would be crap.

12. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

13. Deamer

Deamer

14. Tenngunner

Tenngunner

Just bought a RWS 22 caliber air rifle that is a break down type. It might have been a little pricey but as far as durability and looks it is one more nice gun. Walnut stock and it shoots good too. powerful enough to to do what it needs to do.

15. longhair

longhair

Italian chef, Beppe Bigazzi, has a great recipe for cat stew. He calls it a Tuscan delicacy. RAI TV confirmed it has suspended him for an unspecified time.

16. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

I don't know that you're going to find the combination of budget and caliber you want. Quality airguns aren't usually cheap airguns, and when they are they tend to be .177. It may boil down to whether budget or power is most important.

17. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Homunculus

I've taken several opossum with my Crosman break-barrel .177 cal pellet rifle. For the record, it will shoot clean through a large opossum using 10.5gr pellets. It claims 1000fps, which is probably a bit high, but I've rolled several vermin with it and will continue to do so. .22 pellets would probably work better I would guess, but for the cost and availability I just stick with .177, after all it's just an air rifle. My rifle can be had at walmart for a little better than $100 with a scope, less if no scope is included.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  18. ray9898

ray9898

What model Crossman do you have?

19. doc540

doc540

I bought and sold my way through four different pellet rifles before I finally came to my senses and listened to the voice of common sense on my shoulder:

"Shoot your grandfather's 1956 Crossman"

I found a guy online who did an excellent refurb job for a whopping $25.

In .22 cal it shoots 650+ fps.

I declared jihad on insurgent grackles who had infiltrated my neighborhood, killing and running off all the native songbirds.

I visited a terrible wrath upon their heads and sent over 300 to grackle purgatory.

One shot at a time:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(recoil sock is to extend the short stock a bit and a quiet 3 pumps was enough to shoot all the way through an adult grackle)

20. speedsix

speedsix

I used to do a ton of shooting with .177. I killed probably hundreds of rabbits, tree rats and birds. I always thought it was just fine with a well placed head shot but the .22 does work better.

Velocity is overrated on a pellet gun. If you have 400-600fps you are probably going to kill rabbits and squirrels with a decent head shot. A .22 would need even less velocity. I think if you had a .22 that could do 600fps, you have a pellet gun that is very capable of doing anything a pellet gun would need to do.

.22 is well worth the upgrade. It took me years to realize that they tend to be more accurate, more deadly and easier to load. I have thick fingers and sometimes those tiny .177 pellets are hard to handle. A .22 is so much easier to load and handle. .177 was fine when I was 12 but now I am older, the bigger pellet of the .22 is kind of a luxury.

If you don't already have a ton of .177s, I would say start off with a .22 and never look back. I imagine that they will be the standard someday. The only reason that .177 is still around is because it can be used in bb guns and the gun makers can claim higher velocities. Some people are one feature buyers. My father for example only looks at velocity when buying an airgun. He bought an RWS that was expensive and had a claimed velocity of over 1100fps but I could outshoot him all day with my Benjamin.