close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

17 HMR Opinions? Please . . .

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Buzz9mm, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Buzz9mm

Buzz9mm

What are your opinions of the 17hmr? I am planning on buying a bolt action one tomorrow, but I don't know which one to get. I am not sure if I should go with the 17hmr, the 22 magnum, or the 22lr. I know I want it to be bolt action though. The 17hmr ammo is as expensive as my .40 ammo, and thats not too bad to me considering the $1 a bullet for 30 06.

Any help would be appreciated,

Buzz9mm :wavey:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. Buzz9mm

Buzz9mm

Bumpedy. No one???

3. muscles

muscles CLM

buzz...the 17 hmr is a great round. it doesn't compare in any way to the 22lr. i have both. i cant speak for the 22 magnum.

i have a clean kill on a coyote at 220 yards with the 17. i have turned many prarie dogs inside out with it as well.

my savage 17 hmr shoots sub moa easy. i can hold dime to nickel sized groups at 100 yards. 1.5 inches at 200 yards. wind plays a bit factor as the 17 grain bullet can get blown around easily.

i cant speak for 2 legged critters.

check out this 17 info and comparisons: http://varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

4. Buzz9mm

Buzz9mm

What do you mean by it doesn't compare in any way with the 22lr?

5. fowl intent

fowl intent

You might look at the 17 machII. I have heard that they will phase out production of the caliber, but ammo is readily available right now for less than 1/2 of the 17 HMR ammo. Same bullet basically, just smaller brass. Still much hotter than a 22lr.

6. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Ill second that savage.They are very accurate and the 17hmr is a very clean kill on coyotes and groundhogs off in the distance.Ive had 22 magnums too and can say the 17hmr is far more accurate.The recoil is almost non existant compared to similiar centerfire guns(22 hornet,222,223,22-250) and its not as loud as a 22 mag if thats a concern.Most shots I shot were usually in the 170-200 yrd range anyhow.

Im currently paying 11.95 for a box of 50 vmax hmr.
    223 vmax cost me almost a 50 dollar bill,and those were from a handloader made specific for my rifle.

I think if you compare the ballistics of a hivel 22 lr hp round vs a 17hmr ballistic round, you'll see a very different arc effect on the bullet and energy into your target.

7. bennwj

bennwj Command Sergeant Major (retired) Silver Member

I have a Ruger 77/.17 Heavy barrel, stainless and laminate stock. Even bought a scope foe it that has a built in BDC. I'd have to go get it out to tell you the brand of scope though.

Anyway the rig is incredibly accurate. I haven't shot anything larger than a red fox with it, (right at 100 yds) but some folks have used it on coyotes. It supposedly works well for that, but I always thought 'yotes are a little big and tough for that.

Since I bought it the .22 Mags stay in the safe.

8. bennwj

bennwj Command Sergeant Major (retired) Silver Member

Just checked. The scope is made by BSA 3-12X

9. muscles

muscles CLM

i have 4 22lr's and they are fun, but dont compare to the 17 in rate and reach. like i said in my original post, read http://varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

10. muscles

muscles CLM

11. LanceOregon

LanceOregon

The 17 HMR is by far the most accurate and flattest shooting of these 3 rounds. For small game hunting, it cannot be beat. Because you have less hold over, it works far better in the field hunting.

If you plan to mainly do target shooting, then get a rifle in .22 LR If you instead want a gun to kill things with, get the 17 HMR.

Either way, if your budget can afford it, the BEST rimfire rifle to get is the CZ Model 453. These are wonderfully accurate rifles built to high quality standards of fit and finish. Bluing is superb and the stocks are often gorgeous. The single set trigger that is on the new model 453 is absolutely outstanding

[​IMG]

Street price for the rifle is around $500. The gun is definitely worth paying a little extra to get.

Here is a link to product info about it on the CZ USA website:

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-453-american/

12. vafish

vafish

I have a .17 HMR, a .22 mag, and multiple .22LR's.

What do you want the rifle to do?

If you just want to plink with it out to no more than 100 yards the .22LR will do just fine and be much much cheaper.

If you want a really accurate rifle, want to shoot beyond 100 yards or want to hunt game and varmints larger than squirrels the .17 HMR is a great choice.

I have the Savage 93R17FV pre accutrigger.

[​IMG]

It consistently shoots 5 shot groups at 100 yards of 3/4" or less.

Not bad for a $169 gun with a $39 scope.

13. dorkweed

dorkweed

I love my Savage M93. Even with the POS scope I have on it, my 100 yards groups can be covered by a quarter!!! Gonna get new glass for it. Last time I bought ammo for it, I believe it was $11.xx/box.

And just because Muscles claims a 220 yard clean kill on a coyote with it, for best results on 'yotes, limit your range to under 125 yards..............preferably under 100 yards broadside or quartering away slightly. It's great for squirrels, rabbits, ground hogs etc.

14. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

Have both .22WMR and .17HMR. Prefer the .22Mag. Greater knockdown power at 100yds, wind doesn't bother the mag as much at further distances.

15. vafish

vafish

.17 HMR is better in the wind then the .22 mag. Depending upon which .22 mag load you choose it isn't by much, but it still is better.

There are 3 components to wind drift.

1. Ballistic Coefficient of the bullet.

2. The time the bullet spends in the wind.

3. The speed and direction of the wind.

We can't control #3 and it will be the same if you are shooting a .22 mag, .17 HMR or a .45-70.

#1 the .17 HMR is barely better than the .22 Mag but not enough to matter.

But #2 the .17 HMR spends much less time in the wind because it is traveling much faster.

With a 10 MPH cross wind the 17 gr .17 HMR will drift 3.77 inches.

In the same wind the 30 gr. .22 mag will drift 3.94 inches. The 40 gr bullet will drift 5.76 inches.

The .17 HMR has more kinetic energy at 100 yards, but the .22 mag should have more momentum and provide deeper penetration than the .17 HMR. I think the .22 mag is a better choice on larger animals like coyotes.

16. soulless

soulless

Savage all the way. I own 2 and those are awesome. More accurate than i can shoot them.

93R17 which i picked up from fleet farm for $179
    [​IMG]

BTVS i bought from Cabela's for $399
    [​IMG]

my dad owns a 22mag and he likes my 17's more.. 17's carry more energy farther out despite its smaller bullet

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  17. soulless

soulless

Even a Vmax round will kill a yote with a proper shot. The 20grain HP from hornady does a good job and penetrates very well.

18. muscles

muscles CLM

i have seen no noticeable difference in dropping a dog at 200 yards with a 17 vs 243 vs 270 vs 30-06. all pass through...shot placement and practice.

much past 200 yards and ill tell you different.

i realize some think the 17 is not a capable round, but time and experience in the desert tells me otherwise.

19. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I'm planning to buy 17 HMR rifle as well this year (jack rabbit hunting) and I'm tore between Browning TBolt and CZ 453.

20. dorkweed

dorkweed

I have no doubt that you're a very good shot, but IMHO shots on "larger" critters with a 17 should be taken judiciously.

The 17HMR is a very capable round; however, given the weight and size of the bullet, it is not in the same league as the others you mentioned. The main difference being the the weight and size of the bullet. With a 17 200+ yards on a 'yote, a marginal hit into the shoulder blade or upper arm bone won't do squat penetration wise. The other calibers you mention will. It may kill via slow death, not something we should be doing given the anti-hunting crap in many areas. I want to make sure I can plant that 'yote with one shot......and by limiting my shots to under 125 yards, I still have bullet energy to spare for penetration and a larger margin for error if I dope something wrong. Just my .02 cents worth.:cool: