close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

15lb Recoil Spring Issue - Glock 22

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by sldive, Jan 21, 2005.

1. sldive

sldive

This is classic "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

So, I buy a 15lb recoil spring for my G22 - thinkin' ;Q it will help me be faster on the second shot or something like that....

Everthing was Ok for about 100 rounds (165gr factory) then I start getting light primer strikes and no trigger reset. Also, the firing pin spring is pulling the slide back when I pull the trigger (dry fire) - I am at the range so I figure the first one was just a dud...unlikely but it happens.

right off glockracing:

"You can go too light:
    The firing pin spring can overpower an old or too light recoil spring causing the slide to pull slightly out of battery as you pull the trigger resulting in a light primer strike. If you have off center light primer strike this is probably the cause.

Feeding jams. The slide can be so fast that the mag spring cannot keep up."

I am perplexed so I swap out the recoil spring back to factory and all is well again.

I suppose as the gun got a little dirty and it was dragging the slide a bit - but this should not even be a thought at 100 rounds

So, now I have the 15lb glockmeister spring w/ss steel rod that is nada for anything. Maybe I will try it with 180gr but WTF?... why so damn touchy?

Lesson learned I suppose ;c

2. RandySmith

RandySmith

There is no need to replace the stock recoil spring with after market parts. I have seen more failures cause by this than any other single factor.

Of course, there are those that say they work without a hitch. I haven't seen one yet.

Randy

3. sldive

sldive

Just FYI.

Post mortem.....I cleaned the gun and the same behaviour occurred.

One thing I should note is that I did do a .25 trigger job and put a heavier trigger spring recently, in which I am not sure plays into the equation.

...dairy of a newbie madman ;c

4. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

sldive,

If the 15lb.spring you have is ISMI it might be mismarked as a 15lb'er,it has happened with their springs before.Send it back to GM or ISMI and tell them to check it,a 15lb'er shouldn't allow your slide to move out of battery.Also leave the trigger spring weight as is,beefing up the trigger spring weight can leed to reset problems.
    ISMI flat springs are good but they have had QC problems.

5. jcmios

jcmios

If it was a Wolff spring I would not be surprised, use an ISMI spring they hold their rated power almost for life. I run a 13lbs spring in my G35. It is a couple of years old and is still only .25 inch shorter compared to the new one I have as a spare. For ISMI once it gets to be .5 inch shorter then the new measurement you should replace it. Not saying Wolff makes bad springs, I use then in a lot of guns and they are great but when you start going real light the ISMI design is superior IMHO.

6. Squadman

Squadman CRUNCH CuTTER

I have ran the ISMI 15 lb spring in my 35 with the tungsten extended rod, reduced FP spring with no hiccups, 2000 rounds so far. I also cliped a coil off the safety spring. You might have them check your spring.

7. sldive

sldive

Thanks for the replies.

It is a 15# IMSI from GM - I will send it back to have him check it but will most likely just put a stock spring on it.

8. Squadman

Squadman CRUNCH CuTTER

It might be defective, try another one, if you have problems with it then your spring might not match your setup. I have a 13 lb which I'm going to try, but since I shoot factory load, I might just wait till I get my reloading machine.