150 grain Failsafe for deer?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by waterlab, Nov 10, 2004.

1. waterlab

waterlab

I found a place who is selling Failsafes for 11.99 a box. I know they are generally used for bigger game, but would the 150 grain in 30-06 be too much bullet for a southern whitetail?

BTW, I know they generally sell for more than 11.99 but what is the regular price for a box of failsafe?

2. BillRiley

BillRiley

The fail safe is designed for deep penetration instead of rapid expansion. The fail safe won't cause as much internal damage but won't fragment when it hits a shoulder bone. As long as you hit a vital area, you will still end up with a dead deer but you may have to track it a little farther.

3. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

I used 180 grain fail-safe's in my .300 win mag for at least 5 years and while I never lost a white-tail, I was less than impressed with its performance. It would go in as a .30 diameter hole, and come out usually in the .35 range maximium. I never once lost a deer while using them, and I can only think of one that ran more than 40 yards and quite a few dropped in thier tracks. However, I consider that as much the power of the cartridge as it is to the projectile development.
    I have since moved to shooting a 150 grain BTSP Hornady though it and my groups tightened somewhat and the exit hole is probably 1/2" minimium now.

My final thought (don't I sound like Jerry Springer? ;f ) is that for that price it is hard to beat. However, like already stated by the previous poster they are made for heavy game with thick hides. I think they would be ideal for large bear, bison, moose, and others in that size class. On the other hand, I HATE bullets that fragment for hunting rounds. I guess it was too many meat cutting jobs while helping my friends that used ballistic tipped bullets. I never did have a fail-safe fragment on me...

4. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

My experience with FailSafe bullets, which has mostly been with 338 and 308 is they open up even if they don't hit bone and retain their weight even when they do. This is why I use them.

5. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

that is an awesome price for failsafes

6. Esox357

Esox357

Where? :0) Anyhow a buddy of mine that I used to deer hunt with bought a box of winchester 150 grain Power Points, that had 4 or 6 added Fail Safes in 150 grain for promotion I guess? He shot two deer at around 75-90 yards with it. It did not make a huge entrance or exit wound but man the heart and rest of of the vitals were mush! I was impressed with them and both deer dropped right there, oops I lied one I think took two to three steps before dropping. I was impressed but at the cost I have seen them even to reload them is a bit pricy. For the price mentioned above that is a steal in my mind. One last thing for some reason it was rumored that fail safes will either shoot very well or very poor and there is no in between with them? I don't know if this is true or not but my buddy was getting near a inch if I remember correctly. Esox357

7. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

the buck i shot last week was killed with a 150gr. winchester silverbox powerpoint also...the entrance and exit holes were small, the entrance being about 1" and the exit about 2". the deer was hit broadside in the boiler room and did not go one step...upon the shot it was knocked over completely on its back and was dead in less than 10 seconds

8. dougader

dougader

For deer, I have never seen better performance than from the hunting season special, on-sale Remington Core-Lokt for $6.99-$7.99 a box. It expands well, yet retains a lot of weight for good penetration.

My hunting buddies and I have used everything from handloads with Ballistic Tips and Nosler Partitions, to Silvertips and Federal Hi-Shok. But those old core-lokts do the trick every time and they do it for less.

I have failsafes and partitions in 180 grain for bear, elk, etc., but for deer I like the core-lokts.

9. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

it also might be good to point out that deer are not heavily armored bullet proof creatures... it doesnt really take much more than a well placed shot with almost any centerfire factory ammo to drop one.

if i were shooting beanfield situations i may consider paying $20 + for a box of hunting ammo but for my needs i will always use the $13 winny silverbox..

last december after the leaves were completely down i did have an opportunity at an almost 300 yard shot in the woods from the top of a ridge..it would be this situation when i would like to be using a premium hunting load but for the most part i will save my money