Glock Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's parents told us that they are giving us $150 each to pick out some Christmas gifts this year instead of randomly guessing for us. I want to get a .22 rifle for fun plinking. I'm looking at the Marlin 60 at Walmart for $157 and adding my own cash to cover whatever is over $150. Is there anything else out there? I know the 10/22 is also great, but from the factory I've heard the Marlin shoots better and I don't want to get started down the road of 10/22 modifications! I know I'd go crazy and broke modding it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm looking at the Marlin 60 at Walmart for $157 and adding my own cash to cover whatever is over $150. Is there anything else out there?
I know the 10/22 is also great, but from the factory I've heard the Marlin shoots better and I don't want to get started down the road of 10/22 modifications!
The 60 is a classic that everyone should own. I can't think of any other rifle in that price range that I would rather own.

I do not think the Marlin shoots better than the 10/22 as a whole. The Marlin's trigger is a lot heavier than the Ruger's out of the box, and it is not as easy to work on. The Ruger is plenty accurate out of the box, and I see no real need to modify one. My bone-stock 10/22 from Walmart will shoot five-shot groups at 70 yards (the farthest I've shot it) that are under 1 MOA, with match ammo.

So, get a Ruger if you can increase the amount you want to spend - they do not need modifications. But a Marlin 60 will do fine....

·
Registered
444 Posts
Bi-mart in the NW has a 10/22 on ad for 157.00. :wow:

The Savage bolt action is also a great rifle that can be found in that price range occasionally.

There are a LOT of great used rifles in that price range as well. Buddy just got a marlin for $50, metal was perfect (if it has had more than 10 rounds fired through it I'd be amazed) but the stock had a quarter size gouge in it from something falling on it. He inlayed a BSA challenge coin in the area of the impact to hide the damage and did a glass bed job on it. Sandpaper, varnish, dremmel tool and its better than new with a custom stock.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
For around 100 bucks, you can usually find a 950s/60s era Remington bolt action in the rack. Some had tube magazines, others had a 6 shot detachable mag.

All will handily out-group the Marlin 60 and Ruger 10-22 in stock configuration and are made of steel and wood....not plastic and pot metal.

I own three and would gladly buy more of these rifles if I find them.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I would get the 10/22 if I were you. Add some and enjoy more. I just ordered 3 25 rds ruger mags yesterday. Enjoy whatever you end up getting and let us know.

·
Tacticool brah!
1,589 Posts
Just FYI YOUre Right AT the sweet spot in terms of pricing. A LOT of good .22LR rifles are available for $200 and there really is quite a bit to choose from , some I like a lot some I don't like , but I admit not only can you find what I own and will talk about yu can find some big name super popular quality other rifles too

My first was $199.99 Distributor Exclusive Combo package Remingting 597 with scope. Basically a .22LR semi-automatic (autoloading ) sporter/target style rifle (I.e. Looks like a normal hunting rifle etc) in an OD Green synthetic stock and a "Remington" 3-9x32 scope. Now I admit the stock is cheap injection molded plastic and its not at all fancy BUT won't hurt you a bit and looks military tactical in its shade of grey ( I'm told there are grey and black and green etc all the same rifle just different color stocks in different stores in different areas of the country ). And the scope is nothing fancy , I also hear they have all different companies make their junky scopes so you could be getting a Tasco a Bushnell a BSA whoever etc. But again it won't hurt you, it shoots perfectly fine for everyday use and it will last you if you want to upgrade or don't , and if you do it gives you the receiver mouts and the actual rings which I reused with my $200 scope upgrades, saved me considerable time and money and is right as rain. Maybe you can use the net to find one on sale at Dicks like me or gander mountain / Buds gun shop / whoever

I also got , because the 597 got me into the .22LR real big and real fast and I also decided I wanted a classic wood bolt action to compliment the modern suburban sniper stylish synthetic semi-auto 597, well I went out a month later an got me a Savage Mark II GXP .22LR. This was their entry Mark II... It doesn't have a heavy barrel or AccuTrigger which is fine cause I ddmt know what they were at the time. Its also not the Upgraded wood stock which also is fine , mine is beautiful as is. And it came with a Bushnell Rimfire 3-9x40 scope that was AWESOME. If it didn't get dropped and broken I would have kept it as is. This rifle is DEADLY ACCURATE and will shoot Any ammo ever put in it , its that reliable and accurate. Since it wasn't gussied up like many other Savage Mark IIs it was only $199 BUT I GOT IT FOR THE SALE PRICE OF $149 SIMPLY BY ASKING ( at Dicks )

They REGULARLY have At least one each Savage Mark II and I think Model either 63 or 94 ( MkII is .22LR bolt action then teh other is .22LR semi , the other number listed that is either or is a 17HMR I think ). So you can almos ALWAYS get a great deal on a great Savage at Dicks.

So all I say is look sf your optios before rushing into a 150 purchase. You have a lot of options !

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Recently picked up a gently used CZ 452 Scout for the exact amount you will be receiving.

Didn't really need it, but now I have a very accurate short barrel rifle that's easy to carry and can help my kids get into shooting. And, it's a CZ!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.