1480 miles in one push.... never again.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by astepup, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Ugh. Sorry to hear that.

600+ miles across the Appalachians in a u-haul was bad enough for me. I don't even want to think about what you described.

Tried to get a 24' automatic. Got stuck with a 26' manual. Pulling a full auto transport caring my pickup.

Two tires blew out at different times. The hitch broke leaving me dragging the tongue through the asphalt like a plow. The ride was so loud, rough, and unresponsive that I didn't even know it had happened. Going up the hill to Monteagle, TN, the 18 wheelers were passing me like a motorcycle passing a Yugo. I'd rather do three times the distance nonstop in a passenger vehicle than any length trip in a junky moving truck.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  2. Krustnutz

Krustnutz

Not me. I'll pay for a room just to take a shower. If I don't bathe every 24 hrs (at least) my nasty bits get irritated.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.

3. nerr

nerr

I used to get away with that stuff when I was a kid, including being able to pull off at rest stop and nap in the car for an hour. Now when we travel from Nebraska to Idaho, we split it up into three 6 hour shots. Take at least a stretch and potty breaks every 2 hours on average with proper hydration discipline. Vehicle is comfortable but just sitting for that time makes for some interesting-looking exits.

I also won't travel at night unless I absolutely have to. Not so much for old eyes as for the critter collision risk that increases during the night: they are more active at night and your already small amount of response time is further decreased by darkness.

Fortunately I now have the time and money to stay extra nights along the way.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  4. BSA70

BSA70

7.4 mpg !!?!! Seriously?

5. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Ha! I ride my motorcycle 1000+ miles in a day for fun.

jimcorbin and Inyo Tim like this.
  6. JHCJR

JHCJR

Typically the longest push I make in one go is from Houston to Amarillo. 600ish miles. And that’s enough for a day.

Doc Holliday and Inyo Tim like this.
  7. norton

norton

Driving a friends Ford extended cab pickup with 2 motorcycles in the back bound for Daytona. From Indianapolis. He slept in the back almost the entire trip. Sometime in the middle of the night in North Florida I was bopping along about 75 mph, half awake, when I saw a guy pushing a car on the interstate with no lights in the right lane. My lane. I was on top of him in a nano second. Whipped to the left lane. Lucky there were no cars around me. Buddy never woke up. I told him when I pulled into the motel parking lot in Flagler he didn't know how close he came to dying.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  8. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

Not anymore with the electronic logs.
    I’m not OTR but do 603 miles a night and usually only have about 45 to 50 minutes to spare at the end of the shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inyo Tim likes this.
  9. Current Resident

Current Resident

I rented an Isuzu box truck to deliver parts from the Detroit area to NYC on mid winter. The winds were so bad it blew me all over the road.
    On the way back mid Ohio I realized there was a switch on the dash for cruise control.

Doc Holliday and Inyo Tim like this.
  10. destrukto

destrukto

I will take a tractor trailer over a box truck any day, box trucks seem to have a habit of trying to beat me to death at every bump in the road

Inyo Tim likes this.
  11. unit1069

unit1069

My worst drive was when I was a musician. We closed New Years Eve (Sat. night) in a club on Gaslight Square in St. Louis MO and had to open in Portland OR the following Tuesday night.

Since it was winter I didn't want to chance going through the Rockies so we (with my girlfriend at the time) drove my 1967 Karmann Ghia to Portland through Needles CA. I stopped at a Mobil gas station thinking we were getting close and the wall chart indicated we still had 1,100 miles to go. Fifty-six hours, if my memory is correct; two drivers with no way to stretch out in that little car. I don't want to go into the body odor issue, but it was also memorable.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  12. fieldhand1

fieldhand1

when I'm in marshalltown i always stop for a sack of
    Maid-Rite's. can't eat while driving. you have to stop the eat this sandwich!

Inyo Tim likes this.
  13. Full Semi-auto

Full Semi-auto

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to have an auto haul ship the vehicles?

14. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Probably, but I'm betting he needed some time away from his GF after the first trip.

jimcorbin likes this.
  15. J_Rico

J_Rico

About 20 years ago, I was stationed in San Diego. My mom lived in Little Rock, AR. We drove home for Christmas. My daughter was almost 1yr old. As we were loading the car, she started sucking in air. Odd.

Then she screamed without pause or breath for 1700 miles. We had a nice visit with Mom. As we were getting ready to leave I noticed the daughter was loading up on O2 again. 1700 more miles of one long scream. We tried everything but cholorform. The only thing that made her stop, was letting her out of the car. I tried to leave her at a rest stop. My son voted yes, but the wife vetoed our plan.

That was our last trip home until I transferred.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  16. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

i used to drive straight through to visit my folks in Texas. 1300 and 22 hr., same as you.
    The last time I tried it coming home, was almost my last time doing anything. Left Wichita Falls about 3 a.m. and east of Kingman, Az. my age caught up with me. Almost went to sleep and became disoriented. Had to fall in behind a truck and stay there until I got to Kingman. Barely made it, got a motel and swore there would be no more marathon driving.

Doc Holliday, Slackinoff and ede like this.
  17. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

A friend and I drove home from Moab Utah to Austin Tx in one push. 1,200 miles. We were on the road for about 22 hours. And this was after off roading for a week.

I was starting to see stuff that last 4h in the middle of the night when the adderal was wearing off.

Never again.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  18. ede

ede

I get up at midnite, hop in shower to get woke up and am on my way. If I get tired or sleepy I stop. So far this has worked well and I've not got sleepy, get home around 10pm with change in time zones. I don't let fuel get below 1/2 tank so it gives me chance to get out and move around a bit.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Inyo Tim likes this.
  19. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Ft. Bliss TX to Ft. Mc Coy WI once
    Never again......
    1980 by POV
    1430 miles I feel your pain.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  20. jp3975

jp3975

I did close to the same thing around 5 years ago. My sister and her husband lived in Key West and I drove my parents there. 1,300 miles.

I stopped at a hotel on the way because my mom had a fit to stop, but in the way back we only stopped to get gas and to eat.

Inyo Tim likes this.