close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

148 hbwc in 9mm

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by sig357fan, Sep 7, 2017.

1. sig357fan

sig357fan

I haven't had a 357 Mag revolver in my collection for some time, let alone a Ruger Blackhawk, so I'll be picking up one in 357 Mag with the 9mm cylinder this weekend.

My first handgun was a S&W 64 in 38 Spl and that was the firearm that got me into reloading some thirty years ago, reminiscing of the different loads I developed and the things I learned during my reloading development I was reminded of the literally thousands of 148 hbwc I shot through that Mod. 64 and was wondering if I could run the 148 hbwc in a 9mm case.

so to the brain trust her at GTRF, what do you think?

sig357fan

2. fredj338

fredj338

The bullet is so long, about 1/2 of it would stick out of the case. If you could get it into the cyl, I see no reason it wouldn't work. Since it is a RBH conv, why not just shoot the 38sp/357mags?

3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I've done it before in the 929, just for S's & G's.

No issues for me.

wp

4. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Checks the throats, they might be sized for jacketed. If they are tight, it might leave a little lead in the barrel.

5. sig357fan

sig357fan

Oh, I'll be shooting 357 Mag, got a stock of Starline brass and 4-5 lbs of 2400 on hand, still have the nickel plated 38 Spl brass I use in the Mod 64 but I've been so "semi auto" for the last 2 decades that I've kinda forgot the joy of a wheel gun.

I'll be loading some "Boom-Boomers" and some "pew-pewers", just looking to do some tinkering like I use to.

after cranking out thousand upon thousands of a single best load for what ever semi-auto I was shooting, the theme and variation of 9mm/38 Spl/357 Mag in a revolver seems it could make reloading fun again, not just a chore so I can shoot a lot.

just lookin forward to doing some "spear-e-mint-in" to see what I can make work.

sig357fan

tjpet likes this.
  6. tjpet

tjpet

I'm at the same point in my shooting career. Although still owning a plethora of revolvers I, too, have been primarily an auto man the last 25 years or so. But my dad died 3.5 months ago and left me a virtually untouched early 60s S&W 19. I'm gearing up now to make it my primary range gun in his honor. We've just recently moved so I'll need to be setting up a new bench and such. But it won't be long until the sound of .38 wadcutters dropping into a 5 gallon bucket is far off.

fredj338 and willie_pete like this.