close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

147 vs 124

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by sciolist, Feb 22, 2010.

1. sciolist

sciolist

I have about 3K of 115g WWB/UMC/etc out of my G19, my first handgun. Picked up a 25 round box of 147g Golden Sabers when I bought the gun. That's what was available, and wanted to have a few JHP's to put in a mag.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Now that I have a little experience, one good class and my CHL, I bought 25 more rounds of the 147 GS and 25 rounds of the GS in 124 to compare at the range. My thinking was that the 124's would shoot more like the 115g range ammo I'm used to. Really couldn't tell much difference, though. If anything, it seemed like the 147's tracked better. Both the 124 and 147 seemed to shoot a little more accurately than range ammo, although nothing to write home about.<o:p></o:p>
    So, if I wanted to lay in a small supply of JHP, which should I get? Based on what I saw today, am leaning toward the 147.<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks for any help.<o:p></o:p>

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'd say thats all that needs to be said right there. Pick a round, and PRACTICE! Where you put the round, matters far more than weight or brand.

IGF

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

So, if I wanted to lay in a small supply of JHP, which should I get? Based on what I saw today, am leaning toward the 147.

There ya go.

CanyonMan

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  4. Agonizer

Agonizer .

The 147 gr is what I have for defensive use. It will give the best penetration in 9mm (the heavier bullet has more inertia).

A good rule of thumb is always buy the heaviest bullet (hollow point) in a given caliber that you can get, for self defense.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  5. unit1069

unit1069

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

So if I can't hit the broad side of a barn w/ the 147... what should I do? There is no "good rule of thumb" for these situations. I admit I gravitate to heavier loads, but it would be foolish to claim heavy is better and that its best to gravitate to heavy rounds.

Fact is, as much as we know about ballistics, etc, bottom line, the shooter makes a MUCH bigger difference, than the difference between 115, 124, 147 or 9mm, 40, .45... All handgun calibers suck as man stoppers, therefore you have to PRACTICE getting on target and putting rounds on the target in vital areas.

IGF

7. N/Apower

N/Apower

Light & Fast vs. Slow & Heavy

As long as it reaches 12", it's G2G, imho.

8. A6Gator

A6Gator

I've found the 124 will shoot closer to point of aim w/a G19. The 147 will shoot a bit higher (like 1/2") at 15 yds. My Frau was much more comfortable w/the recoil and flash of the 147 HST.

9. Agonizer

Agonizer .

Rule of thumb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thumb
    A rule of thumb is a principle with broad application that is not intended to be strictly accurate or reliable for every situation. It is an easily learned and easily applied procedure for approximately calculating or recalling some value, or for making some determination. Compare this to heuristic, a similar concept used in mathematical discourse, psychology and computer science, particularly in algorithm design.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  10. 481

When it comes to handgun ammunition for SD, I always opt for the "heavy for caliber" loads (these offer the highest sectional density) that have a muzzle velocity of not less than 800 fps and not more than 1000 fps while providing 14-16 inches of penetration. You may decide to do otherwise or not.

That means that I choose the 147 gr. JHP @ 975 fps for the 9mm and a +P 230 gr. JHP @ 950 fps for the .45ACP.

Were I to find my 9mm loaded with 124 gr. ammunition, I'd not give it a second thought since it is also very good ammunition, though not my preferred one.

In the end, you must educate yourself and then decide upon the environmental/situational factors that you are most likely to face what brand/type/weight of ammunition suits your needs best.

Don't waste your time worrying about what everyone else is carrying or thinks of your ammunition selection either. Odds are their situations/environments likely differ significantly from yours and since you are the one who is responsible for what you're carrying, you should make your own decision based on what suits you best.

I've no interest in what you end up carrying so research, evaluate and then decide intelligently what suits you best and provides you the most confidence.

Good luck. :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

We can all find witty definitions...

back·ped·al (bkpdl)
    intr.v. back·ped·aled or back·ped·alled, back·ped·al·ing or back·ped·al·ling, back·ped·als
    1. To move the pedals of a bicycle or similar vehicle backward, especially to apply a brake.
    2. To move backward by taking short quick steps, as in boxing or football.
    3. To retreat or withdraw from a position or attitude

12. HWA GLOCKER

HWA GLOCKER

My G26 124+p gold dot's, G19 or G17 147gr HST's

13. JBP55

JBP55

If you decide on the Bonded Golden Saber which is an excellent round I have many available.

14. sciolist

sciolist

This is what I was expecting to find... or at least that the 124 and 115 were relatively similar and the 147 was the odd-ball. If anything, the 124 was odd man out, though.

15. grenadier

grenadier

Shouldn't matter.

If both feed reliably, then whichever load you shoot more accurately is the load you should choose. Today's premium hollowpoint technology has pretty much eliminated the old fears of 147 grainers not expanding, since all of those millions of dollars in R&D have produced some really nice, consistently performing loads.

16. chasbo00

chasbo00

I favor the 147 as I believe it has a little better penetration.

17. 481

grenadier,

Agreed, the 147s are indeed very good these days.

But your avatar gives me the "ucks" :ack: everytime I see it.

:animlol:

:)

18. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

:rofl:

CM

19. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

147gr HST.
    I find the 124+P more difficult to control.
    Haven't shot 147+p however . . .

20. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

Some 9mm/147gr handloads will overlap some 155gr/165gr/10mm handloads in penetration and expansion; however, 9mm/124gr in the upper 1200s don't overlap the 10mm in my experience. An attribute of larger hollow cavity JHPs (higher sectional density) is they typically expand at lower velocities by design.

An example for me is;

If my biggest perceived threat is a pack of charging javelinas, then my G17 carry is 124gr XTPs with 147gr Gold Dot/XTP second magazine.

If my biggest perceived threat involves social work, then the 147 grainers become primary and 124gr XTPs secondary. I would not feel comfortable engaging a 300lb + felon with any 9mm/124gr JHP, or fast nine/125gr JHP for that matter.

Bob :cowboy: