Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read some stuff about a 147 gr 9mm not being "fast enough" out of a 19. Would it make much difference out of a 34 or a 17?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I have read some stuff about a 147 gr 9mm not being "fast enough" out of a 19. Would it make much difference out of a 34 or a 17?
Without further detail it is kinda hard to provide you any sort of meaningful answer. How fast is "fast enough"? :dunno:

Out of the G34, velocities from typical 147 gr. JHPs oughtta be in the 1000-1025 fps range although I've seen near 1050 fps from the Hornady XTPs from my gun.

Every gun is a rule unto itself and I've gotten 1100+ fps from Federal's 9mm 147 gr. HydraShok (P9HS2G, a restricted load) from my G19 (4" barrel).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, should have given more detail. I've read on several different forums that the 147 gr 9mm, being subsonic, comes out of a 4" barrel at under 1000 FPS. Some will say that's not fast enough to get consistent expansion. Vie read all the arguments that with new bullet technology, that the 147 is ok. I just wondered if shooting them out of a 34 would increase the velocity to a speed that most would consider "fast enough".

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have Fiocchi 147s in my G26 for CC. It chronos fast enough for me to feel comfortable with it.
Honestly, I'm comfortable with the 147 gr 9mm. I just keep reading that it won't work, but seems to be discussing old bullet design. Just wanted to see the opinion of others on here

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Honestly, I'm comfortable with the 147 gr 9mm. I just keep reading that it won't work, but seems to be discussing old bullet design. Just wanted to see the opinion of others on here
Then go with what makes you comfortable.

Opinions are fine, but they won't matter when it really counts.

In the end you are responsible for choosing that which you want to place your trust in. You'll also be the one who must depend on the ammunition that you've chosen, suffer the consequences, good or bad, arising from that choice and are not beholden to the subjective opinions offered here or anywhere else as to what is "best" or "fast enough".

Get what suits your particular needs and don't look back.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Then go with what makes you comfortable.

Opinions are fine, but they won't matter when it really counts.

In the end you are responsible for choosing that which you want to place your trust in. You'll also be the one who must depend on the ammunition that you've chosen, suffer the consequences, good or bad, arising from that choice and are not beholden to the subjective opinions offered here or anywhere else as to what is "best" or "fast enough".

Get what suits your particular needs and don't look back.
This isn't about what I'm comfortable with. I asked what to expect with one fired from a longer barrel such as a G34. I got the answer to that already. Wasn't going for the philosophical answer.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sorry, should have given more detail. I've read on several different forums that the 147 gr 9mm, being subsonic, comes out of a 4" barrel at under 1000 FPS. Some will say that's not fast enough to get consistent expansion. Vie read all the arguments that with new bullet technology, that the 147 is ok. I just wondered if shooting them out of a 34 would increase the velocity to a speed that most would consider "fast enough".
Wives tale. Strait out of the 80's. The first generation of hollow points indeed had trouble expanding at lower velocities. However, applying the manufacturing technieques of the 230gr .45 ammo to the 147gr 9mm ammo has made this a non issue.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
This isn't about what I'm comfortable with. I asked what to expect with one fired from a longer barrel such as a G34. I got the answer to that already. Wasn't going for the philosophical answer.
Oh, I was far from philosophizing about anything. You said:

roknjs: said:
roknjs: said:
You mentioned "comfort" first; and I provided opinions in accordance with your both of your posts quoted above.

If you don't want the opinions (philosophical or otherwise) of others don't ask for them. :dunno:

·
Jacks #1 Fan
6,210 Posts
I have no issues with carrying 147g GDHP or HST in my G34 or G19. My SA EMP9 I stick with 124 +P and in my PF-9 Corbon +P+

·
Registered
470 Posts
The modern Duty rounds in 147 gr. are designed to be used in 4" duty type barrels. Stick with Winchester Ranger, Federal HST for 147 gr. Bonded bullets in 147 gr. are generally not needed, and can inhibit expansion a bit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, I was far from philosophizing about anything. You said:

You mentioned "comfort" first; and I provided opinions in accordance with your both of your posts quoted above.

If you don't want the opinions (philosophical or otherwise) of others don't ask for them. :dunno:
I asked for factual info that you were kind enough to give in your first response. My other posts had no questions. Therefore I didn't ask for the opinion I gave, so it wasn't wanted. I would have prefered it if you would have actually said what you actually think of the 147 gr round. I already know that I have to make the choice and live, or not, with it. I have and I will. I guess I shouldn't have said philosophical and should have said patronizing. Either way, your first post was appreciated, the 2nd was unnecessary.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts