14 point Doe

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Fireman64, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Fireman64

Fireman64 REALIST

2. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

Just when you think you've seen it all. Can you imagine what the other bucks would be saying if they saw their friend with that doe?

3. vafish

vafish

I bet they'd pick another buck to be their friend.

4. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

must have been from the former East Germany :)

Now that would be weird..

Jeff.

5. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Bizzarro!

Even the does in Iowa have bigger racks than 99% of the bucks in GA.

I'd certainly like to hunt up there sometime.

It'd be interesting to get a few more details on how/why this deer happened to grow such a nice rack.

The mass on the right side with the little drop tine is incredible!

6. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

It is a chemical imbalance that causes does to grow antlers. In Oklahoma, 1-2 does are harvested each year with antlers. This is why our tags now say "antlered" or "antlerless", instead of "buck" or "doe". This trend of does with antlers is getting greater all the time, supposedly from us humans polluting the world.

7. Sharker

Sharker

I remeber the other doe they refer to that had antlers, but if I remember correctly it was still in velvet, something about the doe not having enough testosterone to rub the velvet off. I am surprised that this one did.... I am skeptical but not to the point of disbelief. Anyone else remember this... or am I in Ga-ga land.

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well Hoss, i have lived in N.W. Oklahoma all my life, ('except for the present,' we have a ranch in Texas as well, so i am living on 'this one for now' ). But have NEVER seen an antlerd doe, and that is with over three decades of guiding hunts. Oh, 'I don't doubt your word one bit,' that they exsist, but they are pretty much non-exsistent, "at least in N.W. Oklahoma." I am not sure this is "why" they changed the wording on the tags, if so, that's great, and news to me, and i have 'just learned something.' But i can't figure changing the words, cause there are 1-2 each year taken in the whole state. ;)

Where did you get your info? I would appreciate your sharing that with me. ;)

Good Hunting!

CanyonMan

9. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

Well Ben, with over 3 decades of guided hunts, you probably know it all when it comes to deer. One more decade of guided hunts and you might be able to hunt by yourself. Just kidding, just kidding!!! Seriously, antlered does are not that uncommon all around the country. There are 2 types of antlered does. The first type are does that only get velvet and then lose the antlers. They are fully capable of reproducing and are normal female deer. The second type are actually bucks that have female organs also. These deer have antlers that fully develop. It gets pretty scientific, but that is a quick explantion. 1-2 antlered does are harvested each year in each state that has a healthy deer population. The sources for this information are endless thanks to the internet. Just search "antlered does".

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well, i know i won't dissipoint you when i tell you i 'already knew this......' And NO Hoss, i don't 'know it all about anything,' i think you beat me to that! Just kidding! And i am sure in my ignorance i have missed the joke about being called BEN. Man for a fellow Okie, your sure a wise acre. Just kidding! Plus, i am not the one being guided, i am the one doing it, and really would rather be by myself most of the time! In fact we are pretty much done with it after all this time. Now that all that is out of the way.........

I simply ask you where you got your information, that the "tag/book lingo" was changed because there was " 2 " antlerd does in the state each year...." I am 'fully aware' of their exsistance in the earth, as i told you in my first post, and understand, to a degree, the process and cycle of antler growth, and freak growth, like having two headed calves, or pigs, and hens with beards etc. You do pick up a few things here and there ranching all your life. BTW i did not get my info off the internet, but spent a life time of learning it the hard way. ;)

Just said i have never seen one in all these years. But would like to though.

Now as for the guiding, come on down and we will guide You on a good canyon hunt, along with my wildlife biologist/game warden friend that i sometimes hunt with. He knows everything too! Like yes, there are antlerd does, we just have not seen any in 'THIS PART' of the state.
    Beared turkey hens yes, antlered does "here" not yet, is the point !

CanyonMan

11. noway

noway

That's actually so true. Does can have antlers just like hens ( turkey ) can grow beards and females of the human nature can grow mustaches.

That's also way in my state, they don't list sex as the harvesting guidline but label deer as antlered or anterless.

12. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

"Pa, I'm powerful hungry! I ain't had but a couple or three breakfasts since mornin'. {Hoss to Ben in A Rose for Lotta}

"Son, when a man knows deep down in his heart,when he really knows,he doesn't have to argue about it,he doesn't have to prove anything.Just knowing is enough. {Ben to Hoss in Twilight Town}

13. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

This information has been printed in the Outdoors section of the Sunday Oklahoman. If you search the internet you will see many other states providing the same information.

Thanks for the invitation; I might take you up on it one of these days. I hunt on my Uncle's place west of Vici.

14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well hoss, I'll tell ya, i started to leave this alone, way back on the first post. I guess the 'double root canal i had that day,' and the medicine, and you, have put a burr in my saddle. You make it real embarrassing for me to mention I am from Oklahoma.

I probably 'know' your uncle, since i lived on, and worked a ranch in the Sharon area for years, right down the road from him just a few miles. Perhaps i'll Bump into you, in town at the cafe one of these days, or the feed store or something. It will be my pleasure. Just look for the 54 year old rancher with a grey beard, a black stetson, and a big Ford truck. Everyone knows me. I still manage to get up that way. Your quite a character, i'll say that for ya. I usually understand what i read, not this time. ;g

Adios!

CM

15. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

I think you took me serious Canyonman. I have been joking with you this whole time. I grew up farming and ranching all around this land, and I am proud to be from Oklahoma. I am proud you are from Oklahoma. My family farmed land east of Leedey for years. I have been on horseback since diapers. When my parents divorced I moved to my step-dads place in southern Missouri. There I worked on the family dairy for about 10 years. 200 head of Holsteins. Grade A family ran dairy by the way. In the summertime I was back at my family's in western Oklahoma. Harvesting wheat, working cattle, and playing in the canyons. It was great. Then came my time with my Uncle in Sulpher, he is a renouned cutting horse trainer. That got rough at times. Through high school I ran a horse ranch west of Piedmont. I took care of 30 head of horses and 20 head of cattle by myself. Mostly young racing horses and retired racing horses, a few pleasure riders for the owners. On the property we had a 10 stall barn we rented to boarders. I took care of that too. Yes, I hired help from time to time, but I took care of most of it myself. My life experiences have just been greater since, but I won't go into that. I have never told any of this to any stranger, but I thought you might want to know. I am not some punk kid that is always stuck on the computer. I have lots of real world experience, just like you. In fact, it sounds like me and you probably have a lot in common!! Anyway, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way; it was not intentional.

By the way, the jokes were about the Cartwright's on Bonanza, the TV show. I didn't get to see it much, but when I did I liked it!! I will attach a photo of the Cartwrights. Everyone has always called me Hoss, because I am a big funny cowboy, just like Hoss.

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well Yukon,

I was 'not offended,' just was in a jackass mood. ;f Have been for a few days now. I usually, 'never' wrangle back with folks on here, but this time i was also playing with your head alittle as well.

As i said, i probably know your uncle, and a bunch of other family of yours as well. Our ranching/cowboying operation, Has covered a great deal of NW Okla. Some things have changed now a bit. ( I am bound by convention, so to speak, not to reveal names, places). We were in Sharon, Ok. for a long time. My family has land all over creation, all the way on to Tennessee, and W. Texas, where we are at present. ( W. Tx. ). I drive back and forth on occasion, which i don't like. Like you, i have been coyboying most my life.

The weird thing is, i probably know you too, If you ran a horse ranch, and dealt with race horses. I Went to Oklahoma City horse shoeing school 'when i was a lot younger' to learn 'more scientifically' how to work the shoes from bar stock, and do custom race horse shoes as well.

Well, no apology needed, unless I am the one who 'gives it,' cause there was no offense, just took you wrong, and i am not a man to be around when i got root canals, and medicine in me! Shoot, everyone stays clear of me in those times. ;f

Goes to show what happens, when you are " IN " for a few days, and not a lot going on,

'Thanks for sharing' man. Maybe we will meet sometime in Vici, or WW.
    Take care, ..... HOSS ! ;)

CanyonMan