14 Mile Bike Ride in The Chattahoochee National Forest

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

We did a 14 mile bike ride today in the Chattahoochee National Forest. Wow. What an asskicker!

This was our first family ride ever. We rented the bikes in Helen for $50 each for 4...me, my wife, and my teen son and soon to be a teen girl. I rode a Raleigh M80, my wife and son were on Jamis bikes. The daughter was on a 24 inch bike-don't recall the brand, but we liked them all. I sure wish I had that comfort seat on the wife's ride!

The trail is US Forest Service Roads, good for us. We set off right across the entrance to the Appalachian Trail North-2000 miles to Maine. We thought that was cool, and met a hiker taking a break at this junction, who was cool.

Sure, we had to walk the bikes up many of the hills, but this was our first ride. We saw lots of cool places on the ride, ate lunch at the high gap campground, and filled our water bottles at the lower end. I loved having no electronics or cars around, and I found myself in awe several times in the forest.

I'm patting myself on the back and relaxing in the hot tub. I hope this leads to more outdoor trips!

2. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

That's pretty sweet, I'm glad you got the family out on bikes!

Mt. biking miles can really vary. I've spent all day riding 6 miles of single track and then last week we did about 44 miles of rails to trails stuff in about 3.5 hours of saddle time.

I'm actually shopping for a mt bike right now, mine has had some issues and I was already looking for an excuse to get a new bike.:whistling:

3. Restless28

Restless28

Thanks. I guess I'll start looking for a rack and bikes, lol.

4. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Do research online then go on craigslist! I'm probably picking up a trek Cobia for 900$ with less than 50 miles on it, 2012 and msrp 1200. Lots of basic mt bikes for much cheaper for growing kids though!

5. M1a65

M1a65

Sounds like a good day! Got the name of the bike rental place and where did you enter the biking trail?

6. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

That's sounds like a nice ride. My two favorite rides when I lived in the Washington D.C. area (which has more trails than you can shake a stick at) were the B & O Trail, and the trail that ran down to Mount Vernon from Alexandria.

7. Restless28

Restless28

Woody's at 706-878-3715. We began at HWY 75 north above Unicoi. Woody is awesome and very informative and knowledgable.

I feel a great sense of accomplishment today. That ride is one that you must complete. There are no mulligans or shortcuts and you have to finish it. That challenge was motivation for the whole family. I may take the Tahoe to the lower gap today to show my family how much we did together.

Best family vacation ever! Beats the beach!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  8. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Sunday kicked my butt on a bike. I need to be in better shape and have been riding some. On Sunday, some colleages from work (who ride a lot) asked me if I wanted to go on a bike on the trails around here. We started up in town and immediately to the top of the mountain. It wasn't the slow, kind of ride. It was the kind where my legs felt like jello and I was thinking I may need a defib. At least that was the hardest part.

Then we rode to the Swiss border right near Basel, and then took the back up the Rhine river.

The problem was I was the least fit, but no way in hell was I going to let the Germans think the American had to take a break or couldn't hang with them.

I did feel it the next day. Speaking of which. I should go for a ride before the sun sets. (and find some food)

-Dana

9. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

That is awesome. I hike the AT in my area a lot and I would love to do a thru hike someday. Maybe if I hit that Mega Millions :supergrin:

Usually around this time that area would be packed with Thru hikers going up to Maine, but with the warm winter and little to no snow, a lot of people were leaving early, Some were pushing the first week in Feb.

Anyway glad you are having a good time and getting some exercise.

10. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

That sounds awesome! I used to go up to the ski hills in the summer a lot and have the lift take up my bike and ride down. Some of it gets a little rough with my hardtail.

11. ratf51

ratf51

Was this the Forest Service road that runs from Unicoi Gap back down to Robertstown? Or do they have a biking trail through that area now? Either way, its a nice place to be out in the woods. Glad you had a good family day!

12. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

13. Restless28

Restless28

It begins at Unicoi Gap and ends up coming out at the Chattahoochee Cemetary. I think that is Robertstown?

14. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Amerikaner

when you get your bikes try Fort Mountain State Park...all different levels of difficulty

15. ratf51

ratf51

Close enough. If you are still in the area make sure to go to Nora Mill (it's just outside of Helen headed toward Cleveland) and get some stone ground grits. The store is worth the stop for the different flours and meals they have. Enjoy your trip! (Or, if it's over, I hope you enjoyed your trip!)

16. Restless28

Restless28

Is that on 75 South? Near Yonah Burger??

17. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

Congrats on a great day with your loved ones....... nothing better than that .........:wavey:

18. Restless28

Restless28

Where is that?

19. Restless28

Restless28

Thanks. I'm paying it with a sore rear and a possible quad injury. Oh well, it was worth it!

20. ratf51

ratf51

Not near Yonah Burger, further north. It is just outside of Helen at Nacoochee on 75. :wavey: