close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

13lb recoil spring + limp wristing = NO JAMS

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jerry X, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Jerry X

Jerry X

I have over 1000 rounds on my G17 without any issues. The other day my wife was having problems shooting my G17 (1st time shooter). It would jam on her every 2-3 shot. I figure she was limp wristing. I cure this by adding a 13lb recoil spring. The next day she shoot over 200 rounds without any issues. :rock:

2. mboylan

mboylan

Hope you dropped your striker spring about 2 lbs too. Your kinda pushin it at 13 lbs if you didn't. 15 lbs is all good with a stock striker.

3. jhayesvw

jhayesvw

please explain.
    lots of people put the 13lb recoil spring in that shoot competition and light loads.
    im new to modifying handguns so i would like to hear more about this.

4. Jerry X

Jerry X

My mods:

13lb recoil spring w/ stainless steel guide rod
    2 lb striker spring
    3.5 lb connector
    Titanium safety plunger w/ custom spring

5. Jerry X

Jerry X

13lb recoil spring works perfect for me. Others my vary. From my research the lighter the recoil spring the less recoil and muzzle flop. It also helps out in limp wristing.

6. mboylan

mboylan

Not trying to be a tool. Just sayin. Would hate for somebody to read this and just stick in a 12 or 13 lb recoil spring without any other mods. Out of battery detonations suck.

7. tango44

tango44

Can someone explains this to me in details please.
    Thank you.

8. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

Those people shooting competition and shooting light loads are more than likely shooting rounds with a soft primer. And even if they aren't, a FTF only costs the time. It's not life or death.

The problem with not dropping the striker spring is that the recoil spring holds the slide in battery while the trigger pull compresses the striker spring. And if the recoil spring is too light compared to the striker spring, it will cause the slide to come out of battery during trigger pull. There is a balancing act between the striker spring and recoil spring.

9. jhayesvw

jhayesvw

10. mboylan

mboylan

Actually we are using a lighter striker to compensate for the lighter spring. Haven't had a failure to fire in 50,000 rounds out of my G34 with the Vanek striker assembly and Wolff reduced striker spring.

11. coal

coal

As noted, the recoil spring and striker spring are balanced, opposing springs. The recoil spring holds the barrel in battery as the striker spring is compressed against the opposing recoil spring's closing tension when pulling the trigger. Lighten the recoil spring, but not the striker spring and the balance can be thrown off wherein pulling the trigger can pull the barrel from battery.

With factory parts, the springs begin in balance, then wear together. With a newly installed light recoil spring and a used striker spring balance may still be maintained. However, as the light recoil spring wears maybe not. Something to watch for. Better option is to run a light striker spring with the light recoil spring, and use soft primers (e.g. Federal) if needed to get reliable detonation.

12. mboylan

mboylan

With a lighter striker assembly and reduced power striker spring, CCI, Federal and Winchester primers are all 100%. The revolver guys are the ones that have to use Federal primers because their springs are so weak. The Wolff reduced power striker spring is plenty strong enough to set off any primer provided you go with a lighter striker.

Federal primers are going to be 100% with the reduced striker spring and the stock striker assembly. Good luck finding them.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  13. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

*QUOTE*
    Those people shooting competition and shooting light loads are more than likely shooting rounds with a soft primer.

Light loads have little to do w/using a lighter recoil spring. We want the recoil impulse to be quick so the sights settle on the 2nd shot of a double tap.