135 +p 9mm critical duty

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by FYRELT, Sep 20, 2020.

1. FYRELT

FYRELT

I have started carrying this in my gen 4 19 edc , would like to know if tnoutdoors has tried it in a 43 or 43x , or any one else has , if so what was the velocities and did it open up out of the 3.4 inch barrel

york2 likes this.
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

In the Lucky Gunner tests it only opened up to .47" from a 3.5". It's really meant for duty length barrels, 4" or longer.

3. unit1069

unit1069

I'd like to see a good test of the 9mm Federal 135-grain Tactical Bonded +P. It's been available for a long time and I still haven't found a credible gel test posted on the Internet.

nikerret likes this.
  4. collim1

collim1

It’s my issued duty load for work.

I have chrono’d it out of my G17 and G26. I don’t recall off the top of my head what the results were, but if I can find it in my notes I’ll post it.

5. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

I
    Its great ammo, you do your job, it will do its job. But, all of the literature from hornady will steer you away from carrying critical duty in short barrels.

CTM_357, n2g, mongo356 and 1 other person like this.
  6. GunsNweights87

GunsNweights87

It will work in even a g26/43 length barrel from what I have seen the actual 50 round le boxes are loaded hotter than the little 20 round peasant box 1110-1130FPS out of a g19 and the the 20 round box are more around 1090-1100 from all the chrono testing I have seen. I have both the Le 50 round and a box of 20. I need a crony and I can verify

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

7. fredj338

fredj338

Different lot variations likely.

walkin' trails and SlickCZ85 like this.
  8. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

The thing to remember is that the Critical Duty 135 grain +P and Speer Gold Dot G2 147 were designed, in part at least, to meet FBI penetration and expansion criteria, with penetration being judged more important of the two. I suppose carrying what ever load the FBI and other federal agencies issue to their agents is important to some, but it is wise to remember again that those rounds were developed to perform against a wide variety of barriers, from cloth to auto glass to car bodies, and not everyone who is simply carrying concealed for self defense has to be concerned with all of those scenarios. From both a standard barrel and shorter barreled semi auto pistol, the Speer 124 grain +p has proven to be a very capable performer even though it was designed developed a real street track record long before the FBI decided to return to the 9mm. The Federal HST, Remington Golden Sabre, and other relatively conventional 115/124 grain bullets are also good. They may not work as well on certain hard barriers, but shooting into cars and other such barriers is not always a smart thing, even for LEOs. Thing to remember is that shot placement is what really makes all the difference, and that there are some problems that a handgun just can’t take care of but good planning and being aware of ones' environment can make all the difference.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    CTM_357, OldOutlaw, slamdunc and 2 others like this.
  9. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

This ^^ 10x over.

slamdunc likes this.
  10. FYRELT

FYRELT

walkin trails I think you are correct I have carried 124 +p gd for years and have them back in my 19 and 43x that are my edc

walkin' trails likes this.
  11. micki1958

micki1958

FWIW, a LE buddy told me a month ago that both their sheriff's dept. and NE ST Patrol had very recently switched to this exact Hornady load and between them they had recorded four instances where it was employed. All four were double taps which stopped the threats immediately. Needless to say, so far they are quite happy with what they've seen from it so far.

DonGlock26 likes this.
  12. 0311INF

0311INF

I'd keep it around for the G19, but any shorter barrels might be better off with something else. It doesn't expand like some but it is a good cartridge...I prefer the better penetration than a .1 extra bit of jagged metal.

CTM_357, budman4900A and 10or45 like this.
  13. bigez1

bigez1

The 135 gr. Critical Duty is was designed as a LE duty round and therefore perform well the FBI test. In order to shine in that test a projectile has to perform well across a wide range to barriers. The test also uses a firearm with a 4" barrel. The Critical Duty was not designed to be fired from a sub 4" barrel and doesn't reach the velocity needed for the projectile to perform to it's capability. Here is a test by shooting the bull demonstrating it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA7FTjmLiQQ&list=PLgNSGOEQko_M90AMdRCDMgd-w4Yozc27i

n2g likes this.
  14. collim1

collim1

I can’t find my notes on it. This was before I had a chrono that would sync with my phone and record all my data automatically.

I do remember it being close to advertised velocity out of my G17. As in a lot closer actual velocity than most self defense ammo claims.

It’s jotted down somewhere, if it turns up I’ll post it.

15. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

I wouldnt get caught around the axle in regards to velocity. Federal agents using 19m are issued the round. If you have less barrel length than a G26, your risk goes up if you choose critical defense. The round also recoils quite a bit in smaller weapons, and while they use flash suppressant, there is still that to contend with along with a short barrel and the recoil. A self defense minded person, carrying less barrel length than a 26 is better served with lower recoiling ammo for faster followups and with an ammo designed for short barrel lengths like GD for short barrel or Hornady crit defense.
    A trained LEO or Agent has to follow hiring organization policy.

16. TNOUTDOORS9

TNOUTDOORS9

I have not shot it or chronographed through anything shorter than a G19; going with Hornady's suggested protocol on barrel length. It is best suited in a 4.5 or longer barrel as ME creeps up to 400 ft lbs, plus momentum and power factor would be a bit higher than even 124 +P at 1200 fps. If I carried a G17 or G34 type of 9mm, 135 +P Critical Duty would be one of my top choices. In off-camera tests from the G19 past few years velocities have dropped to 1080 fps on average, which I feel might induce marginal expansion. Due to these inconsistencies with multiple production lots I've dropped Critical Duty from my EDC rotation.

As for Hornady's fallback option of the Critical Defense, I would carry their 124 XTP at std pressure over that, or 124 std pressure Gold Dot or HST. If you can handle recoil out of the 3.4" barrel, the +P variations of those three is good. I almost forgot.....the 124 +P Critical Duty as a contender.

CTM_357, n2g, FYRELT and 1 other person like this.
  17. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

Tnt, have you gotten to look at Black Hills Honeybadger (100gr, 9mm+p)?

18. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

some corrections to my above.

19. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

I was given 200 rounds of it about a year ago by a friend. I fired two mags of it and still have it. I couldn’t shoot it right now. I would be counting dollars instead of rounds.

CTM_357 likes this.
  20. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

I love the name manufactures come up with to hype ammo like Zombi Max, Black Talon, Ranger, wonder what the Space Force will choose, some new ammo design to stop intergalactic aliens??

DaveD and walkin' trails like this.