close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

131 on the money list!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rabbi, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Ol' Long John Daly has been sneeking up. Golf may be real interesting next year. John Daly is sitting at 131 on the money list right now. I hope he can get to 125 by the end of the year.

2. Rabbi

I can see how much GT loves golf :rofl:

3. longhair

longhair

I have always been a big fan of John Daly. I didn't realize he had crept up that high on the money list.

4. southernshooter

southernshooter

That reminds me, I haven't played putt-putt in about 5 years. Going to Myrtle beach next week though, have to up my game.

5. stevemc

stevemc

Gotta love Daley.

6. Tvov

Tvov

He's still around? Wasn't he a big splash like 15 years ago?

7. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I don't even know what this post means.

8. Cmacc

Cmacc

Not sure why I like him. I think it is the underdog, regular guy, says what he thinks, doesn't fit the mold angle. I've often hoped he could defeat the demons that many claim he battles.

9. Detectorist

Detectorist

Didn't he like run out of money and had to sell trinkets at the Golf tournaments?

10. Rabbi

John Daly does not have a "full" tour card. He only gets to play in a handful of events because of various exemptions.

A full tour card pretty much means you get to play in most events. There are a number of ways to earn a full tour card. The most common way is to finish the year within the top 125 on the "money list" for the year. (they add up everyones winnings)

John has managed, in a limited number of events, to get to 131 on the money list with a few chances left to win more money. It is a fairly big deal. John is playing somewhat well and if he earns his full tour card, he would be playing a lot next year. For those of us who like John, that is pretty cool. He has not had a full tour card in several years.

In golf the "money list" is pretty much the gold standard of your current rank as a golfer. Yes, there is an actual "world ranking" stat as well but again, the "money list" is where it is at.

This is the current money list. It starts over every year (season) and represents only sanctioned PGA tour event winnings. Pretty much everyone makes more money from other things, some make far FAR more money off the course. In general, 5-6 golfers are on the top 20 highest paid athlete list every year with Tiger being the highest paid most every year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/stats/bycategory?season=2012&cat=MONEY_LIST

11. Rabbi

Eh, when someone like John Daly (who is a very valuable brand) "runs out of money" it often means they cant afford their lifestyle any more. John still makes a stout 7 figures, even in the worst times. Like everyone else though, if you are living beyond your means, you are broke.

When you are used to making 10 million a year (and spending like it) and start making 2 million a year, you can get into big trouble, but if you "reset" your lifestyle to your new income you are still living pretty big. The problem is when someone fails to reset to the new income level.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  12. wrx04

wrx04

JD is great. I hope he does well.

My buddy was at the Buick open several years ago, and Daly was on stage in the beer tent singing karaoke at 2am when he had to play the following day:rofl:

They also said he smoked cigarettes the whole round......threw it on the ground, hit the ball, then picked it up and continued smoking.

13. napp32

napp32

I continue to be a John Daly fan. In my eyes, he stands alone as not being the typical "cookie cutter" golfer on the tour. He harkens back to the olden days when all the golfers headed for the bar instead of the practice range at the end of the round. I still find a certain mystic in a guy who plays his style of "grip it and rip it golf"...oftentimes with a cigarette hanging out his lips.

He has made a lifestyle of being a rebel in a sport where rebels are not often found in today's world.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  14. 2bgop

2bgop

I good friend of mine pays Daley to make a few appearances a year at different business gathering. He is awesome to hang with, but is without question one of the most inappropriate and vulgar people I have ever been around. But, it is what makes him John Daley and John Daley gets paid a lot to be himself.

15. BuzznRose

BuzznRose

I like JD, but he had (maybe had...I don't know his current situation) a lot of self induced damage (booze, wives, & gambling). His book "My life in the rough" was very detailed.

I am truly glad if he's getting his life together.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

For his sake I hope he has.

I refuse to admire someone because they came back from a self-induced disaster, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see fail at coming back from it.

I don't follow golf but if he'd hit the gym a little bit he would probably help himself make the top 125 quite easily. Last I saw him he was WAY out of shape.

17. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

If it weren't for booze and laziness he most likely would have been one of the all time great golfers.

18. Rabbi

With two majors, he is in pretty elite company. I do agree that if he had his life in order he would have probably been better.

19. Detectorist

Detectorist

I can see that.

OTOH I once won two tickets to a tournament in Windemere, FL, which was close to where I lived. Was able to see Tiger play some great golf. Don't remember if daly participated.

Later on I bumped into his wife at a supermarket.

20. Rabbi

You will find that plenty of very wealthy, even the ultra wealthy 9 and 10 figure types, do pretty mundane things, and even moreso their spouses will. The largest factor in that being if they are famous or not.

A B or C level celebrity gets recognized where ever they go. Most people wouldnt have a clue they were standing next to 95% of the people on the Forbes list.

There are a few Forbes listers around me. I saw one at the local grocery store the other day trying to pick a wine out for a dinner. Of course, in this part of town most people know who's who and life goes on but for everyone else, very few people, anywhere, would have a clue.

The other side of that, sometimes the people who are famous do mundane things as well. You can have fame and fortune and just want to eat a Big Mac or see the selection of beer at the supermarket.