close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

13 round Advantage Arms 17-22 Mag

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jgrider, Feb 22, 2009.

1. jgrider

jgrider

Has anyone else figured out how to make a higher capacity mag ?

[​IMG]

All five of my 17-22 mags will now hold, and feed 13 rounds reliably. That's the most that I can fit into a 17-22 mag without modification to the follower or any of the other factory parts. A shorter mag tube will hold less. A 26-27 can't be modified.

My other question is, what types of .22s will your conversions feed reliably ? The only ammo that works 100% in my conversion is Rem. Golden Bullets. I've tried other different brands except CCI and I have FTE. I think that the forward ears of the mags are too high causing the rims of the fired case to hit. This has been a problem since day one.
    I'd appreciate a list of what works for you so that I can try them before filing on my $25.00 mags.

Thanks John

2. haku_gin15

haku_gin15 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I too, would like to hear an answer to this question. I have a G22 and was wondering about forking over the cash to get the AA .22LR kit. It would be such a fun (AND CHEAP) plinker! And oh yeah some muscle-memory training with unholstering/rapid firing.

Butch replied to an old thread of mine and said that most of his 36-40gr .22 ammo feeds reliably. I was worried about that, because the AA site said that only 40gr will feed reliably; and I have maybe 2x500 bricks of REM Subsonic HP 38 gr, at least 10x500 bricks of REM Golden Bullets 36 gr, 3-6x500 bricks of some kind of Federal HP 36 or 38 grand maybe 3x100 CCI Mini Mag 40 gr.

Then there's that single 10 rd mag. WHAT THE HELL. 10 rds? If the follower was changed, and the spring was replaced/modified, I bet somebody could fit 25-30 rds double-stacked. And for $25 a pop for those damn 10 rounders??!! That's really the only thing holding me back from ordering one right now.

3. hrt4me

hrt4me Millennium Member

Have you seen the various German rimfire conversion kits? Uhl makes one for the full-size Glock 17/22 which has a 15-round magazine capacity! The magazines have a cut-away slot, so you can see the rounds appear to be staggered inside the magazine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  4. chemboy

chemboy

My AA arms kit for my G21SF will(so far) only function reliably with the Rem Golden bullet ammo.
    I have not tried any CCI stuff yet, but I have tried 3 different varieties of Federal stuff and the kit chokes on it.

I am gonna stick with the golden bullets here on out.

5. Flipz

Flipz

Im waiting for some more funds before I mod the mags for my AA 17-22 kit.

I have a Sig P226 .22lr conversion for my 9mm P226 Elite. There is a Guy named Jeff with the website Sigpower.com. He sells shortened plugs and longer springs to help the Sig .22lr mags hold 15 rounds instead of 10.

I broke down 1 AA 17 mag and 1 Sig P226 .22lr mag and here is what I found out.

You should be able to order the shortened plugs from Jeff on Sigpower.com to use in your AA mags for you Glock. The shortened plug plus the upgraded springs should make the AA mags be able to accept more rounds, possibly 15 total. Now I know what your gonna say, how are plugs and springs designed for the P226 .22lr gonna work in my AA kit for my Glock? Well I test fitted my stock Sig .22lr mag plug and stock spring in my AA kit mag and they fit just fine. The shortened plug from Sigpower.com is a lot shorter then the AA plug, therefore you should be able to add additional rounds to the AA mag. The upgraded spring from Sigpower.com should keep it feeding reliably.

I am going to be ordering 3 pairs of springs and plugs from Sigpower.com shortly for my Sig .22lr mags anyways so I'll test the theory out on my AA 17 mags and let you guys know.

Oh and Remington Golden Bullets have been nearly 100% for me with my AA kit. I have jams more frequently on every other .22lr Ive tried, including Mini Mags. Im sticking with Rem GB's from now on.

On a side note, my Sig P226 .22lr conversion kit will shoot any .22lr ammo I put in it. Its just like my Sig 522, it'll eat anything, and then spit it right out.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  6. hrt4me

hrt4me Millennium Member

I e-mailed Jeff @ SigPower to inquire about ordering some replacement shortened plugs to convert my Advantage Arms 10-rd magazines for their G17/22 rimfire conversion kit to a higher capacity, and he simply referred me to his internet website, which does not specifically list any parts for Advantage Arms rimfire conversion kits for Glocks. I found these: SigPower short mag plug, but the SigPower website only states: "This steel Mag Plug that can be used to replace the factory (plastic) plug in the 10 round magazine to increase the round capacity to 15 rounds in the Sig 22LR conversion P226 226, 220, 228/229 and 229R and Sig 22LR Classics.", i.e. it states nothing about whether these short mag plugs are compatible with the AA kits for Glocks.

I'd sure like to know before I order some...

7. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

I don't know a lot of German, but 575 euros for the kit and an extra 85 for an extra mag...WOW!

8. hrt4me

hrt4me Millennium Member

Yes, they are pricey, and that (along with the export laws) have kept me from trying those magazines.

9. jnewguyin

jnewguyin

Its weird that their 26-27 magazines hold the same number of .22 rounds as their 17-22 magazines.

10. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

The new Tac-Sol conversion mags will hold 15rds. Dunno if they'd be compatible w/ the AA kits though, and they'll be $36.

11. hrt4me

hrt4me Millennium Member

Kevin Rich @ Black Dog Machine assured me they are compatible with the AA kits.

12. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

BDM is doing the Tac-Sol mags?

13. Flipz

Flipz

I believe BDM is owned by Tactical Solutions now. Dont qoute me on it but Im pretty sure.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  14. Flipz

Flipz

I think you should re-read my post. I did not say that Jeff at SigPower.com makes plugs and springs for the AA kits. I said that his plugs and springs (designed for the Sig .22lr conversion magazines) should work in the AA mags.

I took apart one AA mag and one Sig conversion mag. I test fitted the Sig plug and spring into the AA mag and it fit fine. In theory this means that the shortened plug from SigPower.com should work in the AA mags, thus allowing additional rounds.

If you need me to explain in further detail just ask.

15. Flipz

Flipz

Not sure how thats possible because I just spoke to BDM 5 mintues ago and they said the magazines havent even been put into production yet. They said that there is still a lot of work to do on the design. The guy I spoke to also said that they had problems with the prototype mags functioning correctly in the AA kit. Something having to do with the height of the mags, Im guessing feed lips.

But, Kevin is the man. Great guy. Hopefully in the end the Tac Sol mags will also work with the AA kit. To bad that the release date is about to be pushed back to the Fall. Yep, no summer release, thats straight from BDM. Deep down I hope the guy I spoke to is wrong.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  16. hrt4me

hrt4me Millennium Member

I did not get that from your post, but rather from something which Jeff himself posted here

17. hrt4me

hrt4me Millennium Member

Kevin Rich @ BDM told me on the phone 8 weeks ago that the 15-rd mags he was developing in conjunction with the new TacSol rimfire conversion kit would indeed work with the AA kits, so I based my information on that conversation.

18. skipsan

skipsan

Just got a NIB AA conversion kit for my G21. The "warnings" on ammo in the instructions concerned me and I found one box of one of the recommended varieties--Rem 22 Std Vel target. It worked fine. No suprise there.

I switched over to Federal copper coated HV bulk ammo (Walmart). Federal ammo of any kind was advisd against, by the instructions.
    It worked fine for a couple of hundred rounds--no issues of any kind.

I called AA after the session and asked about why certain ammo was black listed and setting the jacked-up ammo aside (like Stinger) which was not an issue with me, the generic response was "it will lead up". I told her that the particular ammo I was interested in (the Federal cheap stuff) worked fine in pistols known for fouling up (Colt Service Ace being an example), and the response changed to "well, if it works OK, then go ahead.

AA is showing a 14 week lead time for their kits. I found mine on Gunbroker.com for $300 and had it in three days. The kit makes an already light-weight pistol, almost toy-like with the aluminum slide. Works great though--more accurate than the factory, big-bore slide.

19. ViperR

ViperR

I believe this is because the follower is shortened so 10 rounds will fit. AA makes all the kits hold 10 no matter if your Glock is a shorty (don't have the model #'s in front of me). Someone here tried to buy a shorter follower from AA, but was turned down because they figured he was going to try to get more rounds in their full size 17-22 mags.

If I had the dimensions of the Sig plug, I could turn one down from a nylon rod and try it with the AA spring, but I'm thinking there might not be enough tension for the last round or two. But, it will cost me nill for the experiment.

20. Flipz

Flipz

You could always purchase the longer/stiffer springs from Sigpower.com and try them out in the AA mag with your homemade plug. The extra stiffness and length should make feeding the extra rounds no problem at all.

Last edited: May 7, 2010