Glock Talk banner

13 Only If 1 Is In the Chamber Glock 23 Issue

7K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  Chowser 
#1 ·
I want to start this question off by saying I apologize if this is not the correct thread for this question or if it has already been addressed. If either of those are the case, I would appreciate someone to point me in the right direction. Again, new to this forum so I hope I'm winging this right.

A week or so ago I bought a brand new Glock 23 Gen 3. Comes standard with two 13 round magazines. Gun cycles and works in battery just fine, and there's no grinding or obvious sign of feeding issues from my perspective. All that being said, I've noticed that if I load the magazine with 13 rounds, it has a very VERY hard time being retained in the magwell.

Let me elaborate a little: there is a lot of resistance when the magazine is at the top of the magwell with 13 rounds in. When I say resistance, I don't mean I just need to slap it in there.. I mean some serious resistance. Now if I put a great deal of force on it, it will go in and will be retained, but If I put one in the chamber and just have 12 in the magazine, it fits just fine.

I've loaded the magazine fully at 13 and put one in the chamber, making 14 total, forced the magazine up in there, and racked the slide and each round came out with the next cycling flawlessly. Again, no apparent issues with the firearm. Is this kind of resistance normal? I've never ran into this before and am just unsure if its a lubrication issue, magazine, or what else.

I just want to emphasize again that this is not simply an issue of me weak-handing the magazine in there. If you were in a tactical situation and needed to reload, having my issue right now, you'd have much bigger issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone who gives input!

See less See more
Reactions: Glockworks
#4 ·
I want to start this question off by saying I apologize if this is not the correct thread for this question or if it has already been addressed. If either of those are the case, I would appreciate someone to point me in the right direction. Again, new to this forum so I hope I'm winging this right.

A week or so ago I bought a brand new Glock 23 Gen 3. Comes standard with two 13 round magazines. Gun cycles and works in battery just fine, and there's no grinding or obvious sign of feeding issues from my perspective. All that being said, I've noticed that if I load the magazine with 13 rounds, it has a very VERY hard time being retained in the magwell.

Let me elaborate a little: there is a lot of resistance when the magazine is at the top of the magwell with 13 rounds in. When I say resistance, I don't mean I just need to slap it in there.. I mean some serious resistance. Now if I put a great deal of force on it, it will go in and will be retained, but If I put one in the chamber and just have 12 in the magazine, it fits just fine.

I've loaded the magazine fully at 13 and put one in the chamber, making 14 total, forced the magazine up in there, and racked the slide and each round came out with the next cycling flawlessly. Again, no apparent issues with the firearm. Is this kind of resistance normal? I've never ran into this before and am just unsure if its a lubrication issue, magazine, or what else.

I just want to emphasize again that this is not simply an issue of me weak-handing the magazine in there. If you were in a tactical situation and needed to reload, having my issue right now, you'd have much bigger issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone who gives input!
Are you are talking about the full magazine requiring a lot of force to seat when the action is open? (like when you are going to reload after dropping an empty magazine). If so, that would not seem normal to me.

If you are talking about it being difficult to seat with the action closed and a full magazine, I would say that is normal. If you plan on tactical reloads (not waiting for the gun to lock back), then load your spare magazine -1 if you think it might be a problem.

#7 ·
I do full magazines and one in the chamber from the time I first buy the pistol and load it up. It quickly becomes easier as things wear in and relax.

I also buy used LEO magazines many of which show considerable wear, and I haven't every had a problem with either, ever. Sometimes the new gun and magazine will actually cause a slight dent in the brass of the top round because of the initial tension. Everything gets better with time.

Reactions: Dcc65
#9 ·
I have a Gen 4-23 and have had the same issue, new, full mag hard to seat with the slide closed.

first check to see if there is any play in your full mag when seated, push on the mag base plate as to see if it will go a little deeper into the grip frame, past the mag catch that holds the mag in place, new mags will have very little if any such play.

It will loosen up with use, keep your mags fully loaded and insert one in the mag well, locking it in place as you would when loading, you don't need to chamber a round, just a full mag inserted until it clicks in place.

Switch mags daily to allow the mag spring to "settle in", check for play as described above before removing a mag at the switch.

In a couple weeks you should notice the force to seat a mag will become less but not go away, you'll still need to make a deliberate effort to seat a mag and will get a very positive "click" when seated.

My Gen 4 23 is about a year old and I can now push a full mag into the grip frame until the mag base plate almost touches the bottom of the grip frame with about the same force I need to seat the mag and can do an "administrative reload" when my 23 is holstered.

#14 ·
Spank its butt with a full mag.

It likes it that way !!!!!

#18 ·
I also have a gen 3 23. It gets better.

On a side note, that's cool you got a brand new gen 3. Do you live in California? I love my gen 3.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
No, I live in Tennessee. It's a purple label that someone had in layaway and they never finished paying it off. I definitely got lucky!

Reactions: JBur
#19 ·
I have a Gen 4 23. I cycle one in the chamber, and then seat a full 13 rounder in the gun carefully to make sure it clicks into place. I down load my reload magazines to 12 rounds just in case I need to do a top off reload in a hurry. In a hurry and a full magazine are not a good combination unless you are doing a slide lock reload.
I do the same with my G35 also.

Bob R

#23 ·
And if you don’t have one, get an Uplula mag loader. Makes it so much easier to load those new mags to full capacity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.