Glock Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NRA Member
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For plinking, I've been loading Extreme 9mm 115 RN over 4.8gr of W231 @ 1.15 OAL and have had no problems....I've run these thru my 19, 26 and 34.

I see different posts about some preferring 124gr over 115gr

I assume the 124 would be a little softer shooting since they require a little less powder, and I also see some post about better accuracy with them.

I have a crap load of 115 plated RN, but thought I might get some 124 plated RN to try.

I've looked around and so far the best price I've found is at The BulletWorks. One thing I did notice is that they don't show the diameter. My 115's are .355 and I see some sites list their 9mm diameter at .356. Does the diameter make a difference?

Anyone else have experience (good or bad) switching from 115 to 124?

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Dia can make a difference, you will not know until you try.

I slug all of my barrels, in 9mm I have 16 I think, they range from .3545 to .357,
had one at .359 in a Arg HP.

I usually slug the Extreme 115gr rn up to what ever I want and make them a rnfp,
don't like RN bullets for anything, a fp does much more damage.

·
NRA Member
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dia can make a difference, you will not know until you try.

I slug all of my barrels, in 9mm I have 16 I think, they range from .3545 to .357,
had one at .359 in a Arg HP.

I usually slug the Extreme 115gr rn up to what ever I want and make them a rnfp,
don't like RN bullets for anything, a fp does much more damage.
happie.....what does slug the barrel mean? I use RN just for plinking so I'm not real concerned about the damage.....I haven't found a piece of paper yet they wouldn't go right through:winkie:

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Slugging your barrel is when you push a over sized soft lead
boolit through your super clean and lubed barrel to get the
grove diameter of it.

Yes, most or our shots are for practice but I still like fn boolits,
you just never know when you will have to shoot something
that needs stopped so I try to load all fn bullets.

Some day even your practice ammo may be called on to save
your life, it's just as easy to cast a fn as a rn boolit.

·
Registered
39,336 Posts
I find 115gr a little snappy @ good functioning vel. Many prefer heavier than 124gr but for a gen purp bullet, that is my choice. Using plated, you'll usually get better accuracy going to 0.356".
The diff in loading RN or TCFP is OAL. You can get most RN to 1.150" but you'll have to go down to 1.040-1050" with most TCFP. If your load is midrange & under, you won't have to do much with the powder charge. If over midrange, you'll need to drop back & work it back up.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
11,769 Posts
I like the 124gr FP better, can't say they are more accurate.
I have found that most coated bullets are cheaper and run just as good for range work and I like the FP in them also.
My favorite is Magnus 147gr JHP bullets for felt recoil and accuracy.
My pistols are RIA 1911 in 9mm, SAR B6P, SIG 1911 in 9mm, CZ75B Compact and CZ85B.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,235 Posts
For the last 16 or so years I have been shooting X-treme bullets. They run specials every day 5% off or they might have free shipping on different cal. bullets. I have been using 135 and 147 gr bullets but lately I have been trying 124gr bullets RN, FP, and Delta Precision hollow points. The testing I have done so far the 124gr X-treme RN has been the most accurate for me at this time. I never did care for 115gr. bullets. To many years have gone by to tell you why.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I prefer 124gr as well. That's the weight I carry, so that's what I practice with. I've been very happy with both Xtreme and Powerbond plated HP's and FP's. TJConevera has free shipping on orders over $50, Xtreme offers free shipping specials. Both good companies that offer quality bullets. I just ordered 1000 9mm Powerbond FP's from TJC today.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
For plinking, I've been loading Extreme 9mm 115 RN over 4.8gr of W231 @ 1.15 OAL and have had no problems....I've run these thru my 19, 26 and 34.
I see different posts about some preferring 124gr over 115gr
I assume the 124 would be a little softer shooting since they require a little less powder, and I also see some post about better accuracy with them.
I have a crap load of 115 plated RN, but thought I might get some 124 plated RN to try.
I've looked around and so far the best price I've found is at The BulletWorks. One thing I did notice is that they don't show the diameter. My 115's are .355 and I see some sites list their 9mm diameter at .356. Does the diameter make a difference?
Anyone else have experience (good or bad) switching from 115 to 124?
I have three 9mm Glocks all Gen 3's (G17, G19, G26) , and in my experience using several different brands/kinds of 9mm bullets diameter really doesn't make a much of a measurable difference. Things like powder/charge weight, OAL come more into play.

I have settled on using only 124g bullets. All my Glocks seem to run that weight bullet flawlessly. Rather than having several different weight bullet stashed on the shelves I have chosen (in my opinion) the best of the bunch and just stick with that.

Reactions: timmay

·
NRA Member
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been testing with my G34, shooting off a rest at 15yds.

Using Extreme 9mm 115gr RN with Win 231, I loaded 15 rounds each at 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8gr.

With stock sights, POA (top of the rear and top of the front sights on target center), POI is averaging 2" high with all 3 loads. The 4.8 has produced the tightest groups with 7 of the 15 rounds 2.1" high and 1" center to center.

Huh.......now that I wrote that down it seems like I'm trying to fix a problem I don't have.

All of my reloads cycle flawlessly in all 3 guns, and with me pulling the trigger I'm not sure I would see and measurable improvement going to 124gr.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I've been testing with my G34, shooting off a rest at 15yds.
Using Extreme 9mm 115gr RN with Win 231, I loaded 15 rounds each at 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8gr.
With stock sights, POA (top of the rear and top of the front sights on target center), POI is averaging 2" high with all 3 loads. The 4.8 has produced the tightest groups with 7 of the 15 rounds 2.1" high and 1" center to center.
Huh.......now that I wrote that down it seems like I'm trying to fix a problem I don't have.
All of my reloads cycle flawlessly in all 3 guns, and with me pulling the trigger I'm not sure I would see and measurable improvement going to 124gr
If you are looking for a nice target round that my very well be true. Each bullet weight will give you "a different look" so to speak depending on how you construct your rounds. I came up with a few differences comparing the two different bullet weights (115g FMJ & 124g FMJ) but my accuracy was almost identical at 10, 15 & 20 Yards. Nice tight groups sometimes barely 1/2" difference between the two, tested from my G17 w/4.49" barrel.

Brass - Winchester
Primer - Winchester WSP
Bullet 115g FMJ RN
Powder - Winchester W231 @ 4.6g
OAL - 1.135"
Velocity - 1,100.2 fps
Standard Deviation - 14.95231

Brass - Winchester
Primer - Winchester WSP
Bullet - 124g FMJ RN
Powder - Winchester W231 @ 4.3g
OAL - 1.135"
Velocity - 1,075.4 fps
Standard Diviation - 11.84483

Sometimes what it really comes down to is - how does this round "feel" in your hand coming out of your gun? If you can produce a softer target round with great accuracy - you have a winner in my books. You can take that to the range and ring the bell every time not to mention that you can shoot those all day long with out numbing your wrist in the process.

Keep on testing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.