close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

12/20 WoD......

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by California Jack, Dec 19, 2006.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

DBD,

An ME effort and low reps to boot! I am pleased. I'm not the best squatter, but at least for tomorrow, I am sure I won't post the lowest numbers to the comments! That's a switch.:banana:

Jack

2. DBradD

DBradD

:banana: :thumbsup:

I'm fighting very hard to keep to my stated goal of not doing anything this week.

3. DBradD

DBradD

CalJack,

Well, I lost--couldn't maintain discipline for my week off!

Went ahead and did the WoD. Slowly creeping the weight up, but still pathetic. Will either repeat Michael or run 5k tomorrow. Shoulder is popping and cracking less, but I'd say it'll be a solid month before it's totally better. Trying to push through that kind of thing is a recipe for disaster so I won't do anything that involves shoulders until it's completely better.

Oh yeah, how was today's ME squats WoD after doing yesterday's sadistic MetCon painfest?

DBD

4. California Jack

Brad,

Good news about your shoulder. I say run tomorrow. I think I'm starting to enjoy running.

I was really surprised about todays WOD. In fact, it convinced me you are right about the 400ms before the last Crossfit Total. My legs were shot from the box jumps and my lower back fried from the Sumo Deadlift Highpulls. I'm also fighting a cold. It was rough and I was 20 to 30 pounds lower than I expected to be. Still, I enjoyed it. And I wasn't the lowest score on the comments page either!

I wish Brand X would post the Pack and Puppy workout. I can't do 21 dips on parallel bars let alone rings. Scaled fer sure.

Jack

5. DBradD

DBradD

Fighting a cold?! I'd never have the courage to try a CF WoD in that condition! As for doing the ME days after MetCon workouts, that is a strange feature of CF. Definitely deflates the scores by a large amount. That goes against what I've thought for so many years that I have a hard time accepting it as sane and safe.

I probably will run tomorrow. Not sure if I'll do 3x800m or 5k. 3x800m defeated me last time when I pulled up lame, so some payback might be good. I'll go strictly by mood--as usual, LOL.

One weird thing about Elizabeth is that the sub for ring dips is 3 parallel bar dips, so that means 63,45,27 dips, which is obviously a tremendous number. I did that WoD as prescribed as my 2nd CF workout and just about fell over! Dips might be my very best exercise, and I still had to break them up into subsets of 2-3 by the time it was over.

The following was what BrandX posted last time:

Posted: October 17, 2006, 7:26 pm Post subject:

Big Dawgs:
    As Rx'd
    Women 95#

Pack:
    scale the weight to 95-115# for men/55-75 for women
    If you can't do ring dips do 2X the bar dips

Puppies:
    21-15-9
    Dumbbell cleans
    Bar Dips
    If you can't do do bar dips do 1.5X the number bench dips.

Buttercups:
    15-12-9
    Dumbbell cleans
    Bench Dips

6. California Jack

Thanks Brad. This WOD has finished the frying of my back. If only I can avoid cramps I'll be OK.

7. DBradD

DBradD

LOL. Congratulations! It sounds like tomorrow will be a well-earned day off. When will mark 1 month? You've already made it farther than me without hurting anything, well, forgetting about that toe thing...

I was just thinking today that I wonder when my fitness level will stabilize so that I can quit worrying about cramping and spasming things! I find myself getting out of bed very carefully many mornings. I keep creeping deadlift and squats weight upward and my back threatens me with dire consequences each time.

I subbed the pack version of Michael (3 rounds of 800m run, 35 back extensions, 35 situps) today. That workout just might wear me out worse than any other. Knocked 5:20 off my previous PR today, almost cracking the 30 minute barrier, so I'm happy even if I do feel like I could fall over any second.

8. California Jack

WOW!:thumbsup: That's fantastic!

Christmas Day will mark one month. It doesn't really seem that long though. I betting for a run on Christmas Day. No need to go to the gym that way.

I'm too old and out of condition to work hard enough to injur myself.

9. DBradD

DBradD

I hope you're right. Our gym is closed on Christmas.

One month. Wow, it doesn't seem that long. Congratulations.

I bet you're in better shape than you think, probably just smart enough to not hurt yourself. Imagine what a fire-breathing monster you'll be at 47! CF has a way of making us feel worse off than we are.

10. California Jack

I thought I was right, until I went back and looked at the last 2 WoDs on Xmas. We can only hope.

You're correct, it really doesn't seem like I've been punishing myself for a month.

As for the fire breathing monster at age 47, well, I can only hope so. I turn 47 pretty early in the year. I'll do my best though.

Merry Christmas.

11. DBradD

DBradD

CalJack,

Now I need somebody to talk me back from the edge.

Today we were doing a little last minute Christmas shopping and I grabbed a door handle and pulled--felt like a bunch of knives stabbing all the way across my back, about halfway up. It's been spasming all day after that. Miserable.

I did the ME squats workout two days ago and all those back extensions and situps yesterday. That probably primed my back for such an event. Weird thing is that my back didn't feel tight, stiff, or sore, not even the least bit.

This is starting to get pretty frustrating:
    Week 1: strained erector right after light deadlifts+running+situps
    Week 3 or 4: strained/spasmed/cramped? hamstring while running 3x800m
    Week 7: damaged shoulder while trying to learn to kip
    Week 8: back spasm

I've been working out in some form or fashion since I was 11 and I've probably damaged more stuff over the last 8 weeks than during most of those other 24 years combined.

I need to step back and re-assess what I'm doing. Something's just not right when I hurt myself every other week. I'll be back, but I'm not happy at the moment.

I could've prevented Incident 1 by just knowing to back off, but I wouldn't have known that during Week 1. No clue how to prevent Incident 2. Incident 3 could've been prevented by warming up better, I think. No clue how to prevent Incident 4. I feel like I'm walking through a minefield.

The thought has crossed my mind to go back to a modified Furey approach, combining those movements with deadlifts (gotta keep that rear chain in shape), dips, pullups, running, and a real stretching program. Spread them out so that no muscle group gets hammered more than once per week to allow my pathetic self to recover fast enough to not damage anything. Thoughts? I might design a program and post it for critique later.

DBD

12. California Jack

Brad,

First, I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Perhaps the culprit is not xfit but Xmas shopping. If Xfit is hurting ypu, I will not try to talk you out of changing. For selfish reasons, I wish you could continue. It's nice to have an accomplice.

At one of the Xfit affiliates, some of the old xfit "stars" post there now. One of them was proposing following Dan John's "One Lift a Day" followed by MetCon work. If interested, I'll try to find you a link. I like this idea a lot. You could work squats, bench, dl,press, rows C&Js and still do the metcon stuff.

I, myself, have been thinking something along those lines. I think for a guy that works out in his garage (and still manages to park both his vehicles in it at night)I find some Xfits WoDs equipment prohibitive. Although, I'll hang with it for a while.

Another option would be some high rep Kettle bell style workouts (using DBs of course) and than Pavel's Power to the People approach on DLs and BP. Throw in some chins, dips and running and you could be the fittest guy in a Push/pull meet.

I don't have a rope. My make shift chinning bar will not allow me to do towel pullups. On top of that, dips aggravate an old HS football injury and after the other day it was still sore. So as an expirement, and in your honor, I sub'd the following for today's WoD:

10 db swings left had than right hand
    5 one armed DB clean and press left hand than right hand
    2 Turkish Get Ups left and than right
    5 one armed snatches left and right.

Use 45 Pound DB. Post rounds completed in 20 minutes. Kinda a k-bell workout. I think it was effective. I wish I had done 5x3 Front squats first though. I had never done Get Ups before. They were very fun and challenging.

Ya know, I have followed the Xfit website for years, and I believe this is one of their methods. Hammer one body part while working others than switch. Their method of cycling I guess.

Brad, you're a PE right? Heck with that and your PhD, I think you should be able to design your own program, create a website, and gain a cult following too. I'll sign up.

One last thing, I was wrong about the X-mas WoD. We are running tomorrow.

Get better Brad and Merry Christmas.

13. DBradD

DBradD

Thanks Jack. I just sat back down at my computer after traveling, so it'll take some time to research the things that you typed. Interesting stuff.

My back spasm steadily decreased and is barely there now. As you kinda suggested, I think I have other problems than CF, like overall life stress (school+consulting+holidays, etc.), lack of flexibility, etc., that probably caused it.

Now that I have a clearer head, I think I can only slightly modify my approach and hang in there. One of the CF message board regulars recommends doing a half-volume week every third week and taking a whole week off every 12 weeks. I think that sounds like a start.

I like the WoD you designed and congrats on being able to do the Turkish Get-Up. I've been wondering how hard those would be--haven't tried one yet. Might cause me to get thrown out of my gym, LOL!

About getting a cult following, that would be hilarious. Start CF during years 7 through 10 of engineering school, start up my own system, and do that for a job instead of engineering! My wife would kill me. I could even make little cartoons of myself like Matt Furey's.

Edit:
    Christmas Day WoD was mercifully a Tabata-like workout to avoid the gym. I only squeaked out one more rep than with the standard protocol even though I was much less tired. I'm about at the max speed that feels safe to me at the moment.

14. California Jack

I was thankful for the extra rest between rounds. I haven't Tabata'd in 2 years. This was a good first step. I scored 18, can't imagine what it would have been with only 10 second rest periods. Not the lowest posted score this time either!

Jack

15. DBradD

DBradD

I'd guess you would've only lost about 1 or 2 reps. Of course, the rep/pain ratio would've changed dramatically, LOL.

I think that's a lot better than I would've done the first time. I think I got 15 with the regular protocol on my first try and would've never stretched that past 18 with extra rest.

I'm interested to see how sore I am tomorrow. After the last Tabata Squat workout, my legs were extremely sore for a couple of days. I did 8 more reps tonight with the extra time.

16. California Jack

WOW! The Vastas Medialis head of my quads is very sore. It is getting worse. Tomorrow morning will be tough getting out of bead. I am so grateful tomorrows workout is a ME workout with the press!

I know you are in ACC/ Bifg East country, but have your wife read about Texas Tech coach Mike Leach.

Leach didn't play football after his Jr. year in high school. After he finished law school at Pepperdine Univ. he told his wife he wasn't going to practice law, he was going to be a footbal coach. Now he is one of the top paid coaches in the Big 12. It worked for him!

17. DBradD

DBradD

Vastas medialis--that's interesting. Doesn't surprise me, though. Hopefully you didn't wake up with it sore enough to cause problems.

Pretty much all of my thigh muscles (front & back) are sore. I haven't really figured out why I get so sore from those. Only thing I can figure is that it's a pretty high number of bodyweight squats and going at max speed, the force is much higher than bodyweight because F=m*a.

I'll have to think of something else to do today. My back started spasming again after those squats the other night. Actually, it was fine after squats, but like an idiot, I stretched my legs a little which aggravated it.

Any good remedy for back spasms about halfway up the back, about 3" off the spine? I know some of the basic ideas, but they never seem to do any good. I should probably start a thread on the subject.

18. California Jack

Legs were not nearly as bad as I thought they would be.

Sorry , I have no remedies for back spasms.

I always thought it had something to do with lactic acid buildup, but what do I know.

19. DBradD

DBradD

I think you're right. Of course I look for a physics explanation instead of a physiology explanation, LOL.

My legs were moderately sore. I subbed a 5k run today to avoid back and shoulder work and they were very tired. Still knocked 14 seconds off my PR. The level of misery from a 5k run never ceases to surprise me.