close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

12:20 and 12 Degrees outside, just now...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Arquebus12, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

...in the A.M., just to add a little detail, and I hear feet crunching in the snow, leading up to my door. I'm up, playing on the webtubes, Mrs. Arquebus is taking a business call from work, so the lights are on in the house... and the doorbell rings. I pick up the G19 from my desk, where I had laid it down after coming home from the theater with the Missus, work a round into battery, and crack open the door.

There's a guy of about 60, dressed sort of like a biker/veteran type, with white hair and a longish white beard, standing under a camo pork pie hat. He's maybe 5'7" in his boots, and he says that he's sorry to be calling so late, but he's been walking for several hours, and wants to know if he could please trouble me for a ride to the next town over, about 9 miles away. I can see he's not frostbit, and in addition to a couple of rings and a bracelet, he's also carrying a backpack. He's also moving kind of slowly, I can see...

So I say give me a minute, I'll be right out. I load up the other Mod. 19, the S&W, and hand it to the little woman, and say lock the doors, I'll be back in 20 minutes. I come outside, with the first 19 in my field jacket pocket, see the guy's talking to someone on his cell phone, (!) and I do a quick visual sweep of the area to see if anyone else is about. I see nothing, get in the truck, and the fella (who introduces himself as Doug) climbs in. We set off, arrive safely at the next town over in 10 minutes, I drop him off, and refuse his offer of $8 for gas. He thanks me profusely, gets out, wishes me well, and I come home, right at the 20 minute mark as I said I would.

I want to believe him when he says he's been walking as long as he has, because the wife and I just got back from the theater, and I recall seeing a guy walking on the side of the road, but don't remember where exactly. The time would have been right for it to have been him if he was a moderate pace... Still, the question of the hour is, did I miss anything? I had everything I needed; phone, Surefire, Glock, 4WD truck for the conditions, situational awareness, and the family locked up in place with plenty of light and a gun at the ready...Has this happened to anyone else? It was very late and damned cold, with a fair amount of wind to make it that much worse for anyone out on foot, I felt bad for the guy. I never got a straight answer as to why he was hoofing it for most of 16 miles, but he picked a rotten night to do it.

What would you have done?

2. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

He never gave a reason not to help him. Family was safe and sound in the home with a means to defend themselves. Maybe his ol' lady kicked him out of the car...

I would of given him a ride. I'd sure and hell hope somebody would help me out in like that if I needed it.

3. EM87

EM87

I've been known to help people out too, and I suppose I may have helped him out. I would have been cautious, as you were, but I probably would have done the same.

Good story, by the way. I like hearing about people helping people. Kind people make me smile. :D

4. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

Sounds as if you did good, and was careful, too....

You are a good man for having the compassion to another, I would have , reluctantly, done the similar thing....only reluctant because of how this world is these days.

I live near you, Indiana, northern sector, and he did choose the wrong night to be walking that far...

My only real question is, why did he choose your house ? ?

Your lights being "on" may have been the only reason....

Everything worked out, no one got jumped or injured, he was honest about needing the ride...all turned out fine, you did good by another human being....

I pat you on the back.

".....I listen for you foot-steps...coming up the drive......listen for your foot-steps...but they don't arrive....."........I am oUt ...:cool:

5. Pop Gunner

Pop Gunner

The guy probably only seen your house lights on and thought all that could happen is you would turn down his request.Nothing ventured nothing gained.
    Sounds like you did the right thing,all bases covered.Something can always go wrong,and we never have 100% of all the bases covered.
    I too would've help a fellow down and out with a ride.
    He offered pocket change for your troubles,and he didnt boar you with a woow is me story.

6. chris in va

chris in va

It's always a risk helping someone out. I cringe thinking about everyone over the years, especially the two guys on the side of the interstate needing a ride home when their old Dodge P/U broke down during a snowstorm. Could've been ugly, but turned out alright.

7. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Be sure to mention this story on your tv debut.

What you did was good thing. I wouldn't waste time over analyzing it.

8. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

+1, I've been on the other end so I try to help out when I can.

9. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I don't normally answer the door at all and the screen door is locked. You did a good deed and all went well. You started 2010 off in a good way. You seemed to use common sense and due caution. You made it home safe and that is what matters. It is about 14 degrees and extremely windy here so I think you did a good deed.:supergrin: But I would not make a habit out of it.

10. Mellio

Mellio

I hate to be the first one to say I would not have done it but to be honest , I would not have done it. I help people in need more than most anyone I know. I think more people should care about others and I do what I can to help. In this case though I would not have left my family alone even with a gun. It sounds like a good way for a couple of bad guys to get the man out of the house so they can do what they want. Even if your wife had a gun and used it to defend herself there would be all the possible legal trouble or at the least emotional stress. I might would have called a cab and paid for it but I would not have left my home knowing there was something unusual going on in my neiborhood. Plus you would have more than likely not been able to defend yourself if the man intended you harm. Even with your gun on you it would have been very hard for you to counter anything he might have done while you were driving a vehicle. A suprise attack with a weapon at a stop sign would be hard to stop.
    You are a good person. I'm not putting you down for what you did. Just saying I would not have done the same. I hope if I ever need help in the middle of the night someone like you is around. Good luck.

11. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

I might have given the guy a ride, but I would have never left my wife or children there at the house...I'd have taken my family with me and me and the wife both would have been armed. Reason is, if it was in fact a diversion to get you out of the house while some of his buddies kicked in your door, you have to come to terms that your wife may have been facing 1, 2, or 3 men that may or may not have been armed themselves. The odds would have not been in her favor. I'm sure she might have dropped one of them initially, but the other 2 would likely disarm her and possibly just kill her on the spot. None of us can really judge your decision though...at the moment you did what you thought was right, that's all that matters.

I picked up a hitchhiker one time a few years back...it was similar to your story except I saw the guy walking along the highway freezing to death and decided the stop. Before I did, I told the wife the plan. She was to get out of the passenger side door and get in the back seat and sit directly behind the guy, telling him that we wanted him close to the vents to get warm. In reality, my wife was sitting directly behind him with a G26 in the ready position so she could empty the gun through the back of the seat at any moment. I had also unholstered my G30 and put it under my thigh before stopping to pick the guy up.

Good on you for giving the guy a ride...there are still some people out there that simply need some help sometimes. There is the possibility he could have knocked on 10 doors before he got to yours and you were the only one to help the man.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  12. kenpoprofessor

kenpoprofessor

I'm with you here. The guy was talking on a cell phone, could have easily been a set up for a home invasion to get you out of the house.

To be honest, I don't know what I'd do in a similar situation.:dunno:

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  13. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

I'm glad it turned out okay, but if taxi service were available, I would have called him a cab and paid for the ride.

It is good that you helped him, and I know taxi service is not always available in the smaller towns. Just be very careful, as you were.

14. G17Jake

G17Jake

You could have asked him to produce some form of photo ID. That information could have been given to your wife in case you failed to return home.

15. mymini40

mymini40

You are a one good samaritan! God is smiling on you.