close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

11X recruit bound for Fort Benning

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by GroovedG19, Mar 30, 2009.

1. GroovedG19

GroovedG19 Laguna Blue AP2

Greetings to US Soldiers and Officers.

Two weeks ago on St. Patrick's Day, I got sworn in at MEPS.I take that as a sign of good luck.I couldn't fall asleep the night before at the hotel.My adrenaline got me through the long day of processing.

I scored well (79) on the ASVAB and the only other MOS that held my attention was 18X Special Forces candidate.But if I were to select that, the pressure would have been too high.My heart was set on Infantry and willing to work my way up the ladder.I was so excited and thrilled that I forgot to mention I wanted to goto Jump School.Hopefully I will get to volunteer for Jump School.

In my contract, it said 11C course mandatory.So I guess I'll be trained in Indirect Fire/mortars as well.

I know there are many NCO's and veterans here.Any advice to a new recruit is very welcome.I've been doing push-ups and sit-ups through out the days and nights.Going to the park and running when I can.

Its an honor really.Im the first in my family to be US Army or any branch.

2. Cperez

Cperez

congrats !! In addition to your Pt I would say memorize the soldiers creed and your general orders before you ship out..I just made a post last night about my contemplating enlisting as an 11b. Best of luck.

3. GroovedG19

Thanks cperez.Good luck with your enlistment.

4. mkmckinley

mkmckinley

Thanks for joining, and nice S2K.

5. GroovedG19

6. deadday

deadday

If you have not shipped yet, go to your recruiter and get an Airborne slot in your contract...I believe it is Option 40....

7. GroovedG19

Will do.Thanks Sergeant.

8. deadday

deadday

<---is retarded....:wavey:

9. GroovedG19

Shipping out today.Be back to Glocktalk after graduation.Thanks to all Soldiers here for help and advice.

Hooah!

10. deadday

deadday

Have fun!

11. mkmckinley

mkmckinley

illegitmi non carborundum (don't let the bastards get you down)

12. Cobra6

Cobra6

Wear your ear plugs religiously

13. powderfinger

powderfinger

As a former 11b and Benning grad, I can bet he's enjoying the fire ants as I post this. God,I love SAND HILL!!! Wear the blue cords with pride.

14. NDC187

NDC187

hah, i will never forget the damn ants. And i got here too late but looks like he will be in mortars and he can forget about sf until long in his career. only my oppinion.

15. APD

APD Trunk Monkey

PT is God in the Infantry. You will be judged on your PT score FOREVER!

Shut you piehole and learn what you are taught. As a young private you will be introduced to much info. Go to as many schools as you can when you are young,no matter how trivial they may seem. They will help in laying a great base for being a good NCO in the future. Learn the Ranger Handbook and FM 7-8 cover to cover.

Go to jump school and earn your wings then earn your EIB ASAP!

A grunt is a great warrior, a paratrooper is a demi-god and a Ranger/SF soldier is a true GOD!
    Strive to be the best.

Do us proud.

Former 11B3P

Attached Files:

16. GroovedG19

Graduated 14Aug and back home now enjoying a few days leave.Thanks to all here for their words of wisdom.

17. The Maggy

The Maggy

Welcome back guy, where are you heading to after leave?

18. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

Congratulations from a former 11H2V. Now get your butt to Airborne School and shoot for Ranger School as an E-4. Never let anyone tell you what you can't do. The Army is a world of opportunity for the willing. Train hard and study your basic skills. Get your EIB even if you end up deployed to Iraq and/or Afghanistan and get your CIB eventually. Excel in everything you do and the sky is the limit. Do PT on your own on top of what your unit requires. The minimum is never the standard that you should strive for. Wear your uniform with pride and know that great soldiers have gone before you to pave the way. And last but not least, remember that it can always suck more. Revel in the suck, it makes for great war stories later! RLTW!!!

19. Big Time

Big Time Senior User

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'm an 11B and a drill sergeant and, from being a private and seeing a few, here's my advice:

1. BECOME a soldier. Don't be a guy who is "in the Army" and can't wait to get off work and go hang out with the rap/heavy metal/back-on-the-block types you hung around with before basic training. They are not like you (willl be) and you shouldn''t want to try to be like them anymore. Become part of the military culture, don't try to hang on to whatever subculture you were part of as a civilian - you will just fail in both the military and civilian worlds. I don't care what your MOS is, be a soldier who puts the Army first. Make sure all your stuff is squared away and ready to go before you go have a beer; always stay on top of what you need to do and be ready for; don't fall into the trap of "hey I'm away from home and it's time to party." (once you finish OSUT/basic, of course).

2. The more PT hurts, the tougher it's making you. Pain is just a message, it won't kill you. When you feel like you can't go on, just say "this is what it feels like to get stronger and I want to get stronger." I'm 43 and I outrun most of the 20-somethings on the PT test - not because I'm in better shape, but because I've learned that the physical stuff is really 95% mental. Your body can keep going as long as you're conscious, so don't let your mind let you down.