115 Grain .357 Sig Recommendations

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mclaren, Feb 10, 2010.

1. mclaren

mclaren

I just got 2000 Berry's 115 Grain 9mm bullets. I have some new starline brass to load them into. I have successfully loaded right at a thousand .45 ACP rounds. No explosions or other problems. I have loaded about 500 44 Magnums as well with equal success.
    So now I will embark on the .357 Sig challenge. Im a little worried that it won't go as smoothly. I read about alot of problems.
    What is a good powder for this application? I have some Power Pistol, Unique, Blue Dot, and a bunch of others I havent gone through. Are any of these suitable?
    I will be shooting them from a Glock 33 (Bye bye warranty)

I just need some starting advice on working up these loads. I have researched alot about reloading this caliber so Im not going into it blind. I just want as much info as possible before I ease into it.

2. fredj338

fredj338

Ok, which 115gr Berry's? Conventional 9mm RN will not work in the 357sig. You need a truncated cone shape FP or HP. You can do a search for 357sig reloading & find a bunch of stuff. Of the powders you have, best results will be w/ BlueDot & then PP for loads approaching full power.
    Die setup is crucial. You want the round to headspace on the small shoulder. You want a very slight bell at the mouth if loading plated bullets, a good taper crimp to finish it off. Bullet setback is the biggest problem when loading for the 357sig. Proper neck tension is the best way to prevent setback, crimping alone will not. Your expander should be no more than 0.350". I chucled mine in a dril press & polished it down a bit.
    What dies do you have? I feel RCBS got it wrong, so Dillon, Hornady, Redding or Lee. If you want carbide, you have to pony up for Dillon, they are the only ones. You can use a 40 carbide sizer then load using the 357sig dies. It adds an extra step, so might as well use the 357sig dies & lube the cases.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010

3. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

I would suggest you get yourself some horaday one shot or a similar spray lube that will not affect powder.

truncated cone bullets only.

4. cqb451

cqb451

Beware of shooting any lead bullets at velocities that the 357 Sig was meant for. Accuracy will be disappointing. If you load them down you may as well be shooting a 9mm.
    If you are going to reload for the 357 Sig I have a few suggestions that would be of benefit.......

Load only FMJ/JHP - as stated, accuracy will suffer.
    I used to purchase the 125 gr. 357 Sig bullet offered by Montana Gold until they switched priority to other bullet types.
    Their 115 gr JHP works great and will perform at velocities in the 1400+ fps where the 357 Sig is meant to perform. It will shoot like a laser beam at 100 yds.

Do yourself a favor in order to avoid many headaches and acquire Dillon carbide sizing and factory crimp dies. (just get the set) -
    I have never found it necessary to lube 357 cases with the carbide die as long as your brass is clean......a very tight crimp is the only way to keep bullets held tight.

Although there are other powders successfully used, Alliant Power Pistol has proven to have the necessary horsepower for the 357 Sig to perform.

Good luck
    cqb451

5. mclaren

mclaren

I have Dillon Carbide Dies. Maybe I will still lube them before. I have some One Shot Case Lube. I think thats the name of it. I may have some RCBS lube too if thats possible.
    These bullets are flat point. They aren't totally round nose. Thats the first thing I checked. I dont think they labeled them as that specifically, but that is the profile.
    I read that Blue Dot is some risky stuff. I used it to load some 240 grain XTP's in 44 Mag to 1300 FPS from a 6 inch barrel. I tried them in a friends 7 1/2 Redhawk and they went 1450 FPS. Never had any problems it seems like good stuff.
    Pushing a light for caliber bullet in a short barrel (115 GR in G33) should make for some serious muzzle flash. They will be practice rounds so I dont mind.
    I will have to use less Blue Dot than others to reach similar velocities right? Isn't it the second fastest powder to Bullseye?

6. fredj338

fredj338

No, check a burn rate chart. Bullseye is one of the top 5 fastest burners, not suitable for the 357sig except in the lightest loadings, even then, the fastest powder I will load is Unique under 124grLTC about 1200fps w/ good accuracy. BlueDot is a slow powder for handgun, just under 2400 in burn rate, quite appropriate for full power loads in the 357sig, but you will get a huge fireball from that short bbl. I have moved to Longshot for my full power 357sig loads. AA#7 is also a good choice. Many swear by AA#9, but I don't care much for it in shorter bbls. & IMO, it needs a mag primer.

7. mclaren

mclaren

Ah thanks for filling me in. I was mistaken.
    Is there a magnum small pistol primer? For 357 mag perhaps? I had only heard of magnum primers for rifle. I am just learning all this. I have a generous Father in Law that had given me full reign of his cobwebbed yet well equipped reloading room. My 1911 barely has time to cool. I have found the 45 ACP very easy and intuitive to load.
    Thanks for the info guys.

8. fredj338

fredj338

Yep, the 45acp is porobably the best pistol round to learn to reload on. The 38sp the best rev round, both very forgiving to small mistakes. Yes, there are small & large mag primers. They should be used for suitable powders; slow ball powders w/ mag primers.
    The 357sig is not much diff loading for compared to the 45acp, but the bullet setback & high pressure have to be watched for very carefully. Bullet & powder choice are very important for best results.

9. sig2009

sig2009

Fred,
    You forgot WSF. I tried your load and I like it!

10. fredj338

fredj338

Well, WSF, Universal & Unique are all in that same burn rate +/-0.1gr. Save the faster powders for the smaller volumn, lower pressure rounds.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  11. hoffy

hoffy

AA#9, by far and then Power Pistol, but have used a lot of different kinds, depends on what I have on hand and can get. I have not found the need to use magnum primers, but have used them, and reduced the load a hair. You have to watch case length, these will stretch, I bought a trim die. I am glad to hear of someone using the Dillon dies, I hate wiping or tumbling lube off of pistol cases:steamed: I see a set in my future. I love the 357 SIG, bought my first one, a 239 SIG quite a while ago. The XDs have a tighter chamber, I have an RCBS sizer that will not size them down enough to work in either of my 2 XDs, my Redding will.