115 gr. 9mm Factory Loads For IDPA ?

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by ChrisD46, Jan 19, 2020.

1. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

I know the preference for gun games is the heavy for caliber 147gr. & 150 gr. slower , less recoil loads . Conversely , when you are say a Novice or Marksman class IDPA class shooter - is a 115gr. easy to find , factory load going to make that much of a difference in your scores ? While my preference is heavy for caliber , softer shooting 9mm rounds - I'm thinking at the lower level classifications of IDPA one would have more pressing issues than what weight 9mm bullet weight you are using ? ... Your thoughts ?

2. ede

ede

I'd put it this way, you won't be at a disadvantage with 115s but you won't be at an advantage with them.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

The difference in 9mm ammo is so small that you have to be past most other limiting factors before it will really help you.
    I guess if they are particularly weak, the tiny bit less recoil could benefit a novice shooter, but 9mm is so soft shooting to begin with they probably won't gain much.

4. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Bullet weight makes no difference for a newbie. There is far more going on in competition, starting with the fundamentals: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control, followed by transitions and movement. Once you have all that, now you have a stage plan. Personally I load 125's, but lots of the guys run 147/160's. It's a balance between recoil and slide speed.

5. Bradley T

Bradley T

I can't really tell a lot of difference in how bullet weight affects time and placement. It's quite miniscule. Being safe is the most important concern! Next to that is the challenge of getting through a course without a dang procedural!

6. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

There are supposed to be slight variations in POA versus POI with the various9mm loads : 115gr. shoots a slightly low , 124 gr. shoots POI while 137gr. shoots slightly high .

7. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

If I recall correctly, there is a slight difference in POA versus POI with 9mm factory ammo :
    *115gr. shoots slightly low
    *124gr. POA / POI are the same
    *147gr. shoots slightly high

8. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

115s are cheaper so you can practice more.
    No one that has been shooting for more than a month should be stuck in Novice class. Get a coach and get yourself figured out.

9. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*Old Timer I used to shoot skeet with once said : " Getting good at gun games comes down to desire , money and time- raw skill is lower down on the list of importance" ...

10. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Depending on what ammo, ie, you can't compare standard 124's to +P+ 124's,

115/124's are about the same, 147/160's about 1" high at 20 yards.

But keep in mind that 90% of the shots in IDPA are 3-12 yards, so it really doesn't matter.

Buy the most economical ammo so you can spend more time shooting matches. Again, you will see that ammo weight makes almost no difference compared to everything else going on.

And don't let anyone tell you that 147's are needed for steel, they are not. The Minor power floor in IDPA, for Glocks, is 125. Poppers have to fall to a 105 floor (because of the revolver guys lower floor).

11. MajorD

MajorD

Agree as above. Many things discussed on forums such as bullet weight loads modified guns etc only start to show a difference once you become an advanced competition shooter.
    Practice with and compete with whatever ammo you can get and afford.
    Many of the so called advantages of certain loads gun modifications types of holsters etc. are seen only at advanced levels where shaving a fraction of a second here or there makes the difference between placing for a prize or an also ran, but even after decades in competition I am still not at the level where I can take advantage of these razor thin improvements.
    Shoot have fun

12. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

Well...good sights and a nice trigger will help everyone at every level

Snoopy47 likes this.
  13. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

If you hold PF constant and increase bullet weight, there's a noticeable difference in how the gun behaves. But people who are loading heavy bullets are probably also using a faster powder. That in conjunction with bullet weight makes a big difference.

So, if you're comparing factory 115 with a mid-speed powder to hand-loaded 147/150/160 with a fast powder, that will change the performance of a capable shooter.

14. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Yea, in any venue, in any division, for any classification. The rest is up to the shooter.

15. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

So I think the OP suffers from two common newbie issues. First is "overthinking". Instead of surfing the internet for advice from no one who has ever shot competition?? Start shooting matches, and practice standard drills under a shot timer. Second, is the "IfOnlies" If only I had a better gun? Aftermarket barrel, aftermarket trigger, aftermarket "Magic" No, that doesn't help. Shooting is 99% the shooter. BUT you have to have the fundamentals down: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control, then transitions and movement.

STI likes this.