Glock Talk banner

10mm?

1722 Views 29 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  Vicarious Reality
so as I get older I have gravitated towards smaller carry pistols. Most recently a sig 938 and now a glock 43. Recently ( probably due to the recent events ) I find myself gravitating towards larger calibers and larger pistols. I'm carrying my 1911's in 45 again and I'm considering buying a glock 29???? Is there any tactical need to get a 10?? My brain says no, but my gut says yes.

Thoughts?
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Banned
7,591 Posts
You're possibly going to be disappointed with the 29. They recoil with "fluency."

I carry a 33. Smaller, with a heck of a bite and less recoil. If you don't want smaller, consider the 30. Sam size as the 29 but more manageable.

· Registered
39,680 Posts
I've often experienced, and observed, there to be sort of an ebb & flow to this sort of thing.

One of the things that's always kept me from rekindling a younger interest in 10mm was the lack of wide spread ammunition support from the major American ammo makers in the way of defensive loads. I no longer have the interest to reload, and I prefer not to use hot-rodded custom/small production loads for dedicated carry use.

You might like the large compact "subcompact" G29, or, you might find the G30 to be more enjoyable to shoot ... and you can check to confirm feeding/functioning with the same ammo you already enjoy in your 1911's, which will make ammo selection a little simpler.

Your choice, and you only have to please yourself. ;)

· Registered
446 Posts
I've been debating getting a 10mm (Glock 20) for the last few months. My excuse is... I need a harder hitting hiking/woods gun than my G19. Reality is closer to... Dad wants a new toy.

Reactions: 4949shooter and MSW

· Registered
5,536 Posts
I'll be 75 in a few days and I have no trouble at all shooting my G20 or G29. I use both of them for outdoor treks. They are not hard to handle at all. They kick about the same as a 357 Magnum. I think you will like them as they are good shooters.

· Registered
10,951 Posts
10mm is my favorite.

I have two G20's, a Gen 3 and a 4.

My take on this is that in order to get the full benefit from the 10mm cartridge, it is best fed through a full sized pistol. This is due to recoil, controllability, and to a lesser extend ballistics. If I carry a ten I want to load 600 to 700+ foot pounds of energy loads. If I am going to use a downloaded ten in a carry gun, I figure I might as well carry a G27.

Just my thoughts.

· Semper Paratus
31,228 Posts
I have a gen 4 my favorite load is buffalo bore 180 grain at about 1450 fps from the model 20 is good stuff.

· Registered
2,223 Posts
With the 10mm you won't even have to hit your target to obliterate it. Those aren't anti-personnel rounds you know, they are anti-material and you will have to aim for the belt buckle.

· Registered
16,881 Posts
Eh.

I'd ditch my .40 and carry a 9mm if they'd let me.

True full power 10mm is tough to find and expensive if you don't reload. I see no point in it unless you have a good source for full power 10mm and are going to carry it loaded with them all the time.

It is a hoot to shoot though, I'll give you that.

· Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe I'll grab a Glock 20 for when I'm out hunting. From what you guys are saying It looks like there are better alternatives than the G29 for self defense.

I just ordered a JP 9mm AR pistol, maybe I'll carry that!

· Drop those nuts
9,539 Posts
I cannot agree that there isn't a very good availability of ammo for the 10MM. It's easy to get and in a larger variety of loads than most other calibers. Most of it is very good ammo too.

There are lots of examples of old, big name companies making a product that is inferior to that being made by younger & smaller companies that are less known, but some people seem to have an almost superstitious thing in their heads that it's unsafe to buy ammo that does not say Winchester or some other name from the stone age on it. I disagree, and could not care less if the local wally world doesn't carry Silver Tips.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts