close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

10mm vs .45 Super

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 9mmasta, Mar 30, 2010.

1. 9mmasta

9mmasta

For woods carry, which would be the better round? I live in the PNW and would like to know what you all think... I have been attempting to figure this out for awhile now. Any opinions would be great and all will be acknowledged and taken into consideration. Thanks.

Buffalo Bore
    45 Super Ammo - 255gr Hard Cast Flat Nose - 1,075fps/654ft/lbs
    -VERSES-
    Double Tap
    10mm - 230gr Wide Flat Nose Gas Check Hard Cast -1120fps/641ft/lbs

2. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

I carry a G20 with handloaded 180gr Gold dots running around 1250fps. I think it will take care of anything out in the woods around where I live.

3. porkchop817

porkchop817

I think either one will serve you just fine for a woods gun

4. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member Silver Member

5. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

One has no advantage over the other. It makes sense to go with the .45Super IF you already have a G21/30. The conversion is inexpensive and it always gives you the option to drop your stock barrel and recoil spring guide assembly and shoot any standard .45acp loads. Then again, you can get a .40 conversion barrel for the G20 and shoot .40 all day long. Both the 10mm and .45Super are more than capable for taking deer, wild hogs and blackbear.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  6. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Homunculus

The .45 Super shoots bigger, heavier bullets at pretty darn good speeds. My vote goes to the .45 Super, but the 10mm is nice too.

7. Cineski

Cineski

10mm has more ammo options avail than 45 Super (at least the last time I payed attention to 45 Super).

8. G20gunner

G20gunner

I have a G20 10mm and a G21sf 45acp. I have a Lone Wolf barrel to shoot 45 Super in my G21. I would say for run of the mill game, it would be a toss up. I would not use either for dangerous game like grizzly. The 10mm would have the advantage of better sectional density, giving greater penetration. But like I said, for deer and the like, it wouldn't make much difference. I don't think you could go wrong with either. As was mentioned, if you go with the 45, you could drop your stock 45acp barrel back in and shoot 45acp. Or if you go with a G20 10mm, you can get an aftermarket barrel in 40S&W for cheaper plinking. The G20 also has the advantage of getting a barrel in 357SIG, if you're so inclined.
    I'd say get what you like.........or get both:supergrin:.

G20gunner

9. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

Don't forget the 9X25 Dillon in the 10mm with a conversion barrel as well. :supergrin:

10. 9mmasta

9mmasta

What would be the recoil differences between a 10mm and .45 Super? Are they going to be fairly similar rounds when fired? I plan on using a Glock 29/30 to run these through depending on which caliber I decide on. So it's the exact same platform regardless and will even be the same capacity. I love the Glock 30, but if the 10mm is going to recoil a bit less I might just go with that round because more shots in the wild could save my life... right? =)

11. yrbender

yrbender

I have a home in black bear country. I carry my g29 all the time. I have a few glocks but feel the 29 is best for bear. Mainly because, for some odd reason, I am very accurate with it. Its my daily carry and I only shoot it seldom on the range because my range is in the back woods, Its on me unless the range is empty then I shot a mag. load it and back in my belt. IMHO try them both keep the one you are most comfortable with and shoot the best, they are similar enough.

12. PBRLite

PBRLite

I am currently getting my act together and picking up a "Tactical Length" .45 ACP LW barrel for shooting .45 Super. I already have a non captive Wolff guide rod that I use when shooting my own 10mm reloads. I am planning on getting the 24# spring from Wolff for shooting .45 Super.

I recently ran into a box of Buffalo Bore 230gr. FMJ Flat Point at my local gun shop for $41. I think this box has been on the shelf for a while.

I was already planning on buying an aftermarket .45 ACP barrel for shooting my lead reloads. But if i had to go with one over the other, i would probably go the 10mm route. I think that the 10mm is more versatile......especially on the the G20 platform. You can get aftermarket barrels and convert it to .40, .357 sig, .38 Super, and 9mm (Dan from Lonewolf said they still had a few of these kicking around).

Either way, I think you are in for a heck of ride once you take the plunge.

13. 9mmasta

9mmasta

So it sounds like people think they're pretty similar rounds... what it comes down to for me is that the .45 is going to leave a bigger hole and probably push through just as much of the animal as the 10mm but with the bigger hole... it will bleed out quicker? That's what I'm leaning towards at least. Which one goes bump harder, or will they be very similar? I have tried to figure it out from a recoil table but I don't know the powder loading on each round.

I will be running whichever caliber I decide on from the large frame Glock subcompact platform - 29 or 30. I want it to not only be my woods gun, but to be able to carry it as my CCW and be proficient with it. I believe in having only a couple guns and so this gun will also be the one I take to the range with me too because I want to practice with it. I only have 1 other handgun - Diamondback DB380 pocket gun that goes everywhere with me. I know most people probably don't think like this, but that's just my philosophy on carrying.

Thanks for your help so far =)

14. just a shooter

just a shooter

both really are pretty similar, I have also been kicking this around for about 2 years.

I settled on the .45.

one, because I have other .45 guns so ammo compatibility and easier stocking up.

second both rounds are difficult to find unless you order online, whether it's .45 super or 10mm.

and as far as woods gun goes you're FAR,FAR more likely to run into a two legged predator than a four legged one so the difference is moot.

all handguns suck as fight stoppers when compared to the alternative long gun option.

so get the one you will enjoy shooting the most and can get ammo for the easiest.

10mm might be a bit easier for selection. but when I compared 165 gr .45+p and 165 gr 10mm from buffalo bore ammo they were almost dead even.

so .45 in the hotter loads are a pretty good match for 10mm.

15. remat

remat

I went the other way from 45 Super to 10mm. 10mm just shoots straighter for me.

16. G20gunner

G20gunner

As far as recoil goes, there's not much to talk about. The 10mm can be stiff at full loads, but it's still very managable in the G20. Those polymer frames really soak up the recoil nicely. I was used to shooting 44mag and heavily loaded 45Colts, so when I went to the 10mm, the recoil was really nothing.

G20gunner:wavey:

17. 21Glock

21Glock

I can attest to the .45 Super not being too bad either. The few rounds I've shot so far of the .45 Super are sharper than the ACP stuff. But nothing compared to my Big Daddy, the .500 S&W Mag. I call that one , My Short Barreled Rifle. It can do what many center fire rifles can do and more. Recoil is strong, but manageable with practice rounds.
    I plan on hunting with both the .45 Super rounds in my 21SF and my .500 S&W Mag. this Fall.

18. 9mmasta

9mmasta

what sort of mods would I need to make in order to run .40S&W through it? could I use the same mags for it or would I have to get new ones? If the barrel is the only thing I'd have to change it might be a better deal to go that direction I guess... I'm leaning towards a 30 though because I would only have to get 1 extra barrel from Lone Wolf probably to handle the Super hard cast round and not run it through the stock Glock barrel. If I get the 29 I will not only have to get a 10mm to run the hard cast rounds, but another barrel (possibly mags too) to accommodate .40S&W. Is it worth it? I mean I plan on getting a .22lr conversion to practice with and would probably only shoot the actual rounds occasionally to make sure I can still hack it.

So again... the difference in diameter is negligible in this case when comparing these 2 calibers?

19. PBRLite

PBRLite

No mag change necessary. Just conversion barrel change to go from 10mm to .40.

20. G20gunner

G20gunner

If you get a 40S&W barrel you will not need new magazines, the 20 or 29 mags will work fine.

G20gunner