Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does the 10MM have the same recoil characteristics as the 40, ie torques at the wrist?

How loud is the 10mm compared to a 9 40 45ACP and 357 SIG?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
To me the recoil is very similar.

I don't notice a huge difference in the loudness, but you can hear a difference, especially with the hotter loads available.

I have a G29 and shoot the 189g 10mm FMJ from Georgia Arms and the 180g JHP from both Buffalo Bore and Double Tap. If you buy the Remington UMC ammo from your gun shop, the noise and recoil are reduced. I prefer the Georgia Arms stuff over the lower power loads from most retail places. I want to practice with what I will shoot with in real life at least as far as recoil and ballistics go.

My .02

·
10mm Philosopher
6,105 Posts
Does the 10MM have the same recoil characteristics as the 40, ie torques at the wrist?
Their recoil characteristics are different because the 10mm AUTO is chambered in pistols with large frames. They dampen felt-recoil either through weight (e.g., the all-steel 10XX-series pistols) or through the recoil-absorbing polymer (e.g., G20, which is also a large-frame gun). As well, the girth of the G20's frame helps disperse felt-recoil.

The .40 comes chambered in smaller, 9mm-sized guns, which is where it gets its reputation for "snappy" recoil.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The 10mm is more powerful than a 40, but a 40 is nothing to sneeze at. They are both high pressure rounds. However, the 40 is much easier to find & much cheaper. Both are fun to shoot! I don't reload, so I don't take my G20 to the range often, & there are no bears or mountain lions where I live! LOL! I highly recommend both rounds!:cool:

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
I find the recoil of my G22 to be relatively light.

The recoil of the G20 with full power loads is definitely heavier, but not traumatic.

·
Registered
422 Posts
10mm is quite a bit louder than 40 from the sides and front (if that makes sense), although it's different sounding than 40. More of a magnum type report. Deeper if that makes sense? More of a tearing/thump sound. From the shooter's perspective, for some reason 10mm isn't really that loud. I have no idea why, but the sound seems to project strongly to the sides and forward. My PM9 is WAY louder than shooting a Glock 20. The Glock 20 is the most fun I've had shooting a hand gun. Ever. You can also turn a Glock 20 into a lot of different calibers. If I had the money, I'd have a Glock 20 w/ .22 upper, 21 upper, 50GI upper, 40 barrel, 357SIG barrel, etc etc.

·
Transform & Win
3,347 Posts
writwing, take a look at the video demonstration of pistol recoil (and noise) for various calibers of Glock pistols prepared by Hickok45:

Glock Recoil Demonstration

Description:
Unscientific close-up recoil comparison of the Glock 9mm, Glock 40, & Glock 10mm. (G26, G27 & G29)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts