close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

10mm vs .357 / .44 mag

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Whiplash23, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Whiplash23

Whiplash23

I do some hunting in my home state of TX and I like to carry a side arm when I do so, primarily in case I run into hogs (which I have heard are less than nice). Currently I carry my old .357 Mag revolver, but I have thought about going to a Glock 10mm with the 6 in. hunting barrel or possibly a .44 mag.

How does the 10mm stack up to the magnum revolver loads? Any advice out there?

2. kimo

kimo

Get a 44 mag. I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 4 5/8 and 7 1/2 inch barrels. Really nice.

.44 mags will drop anything you encounter in most of the lower 48.

I love mine.

3. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

The 10 bears a lot of similarity to the .41 mag. It can be downloaded to .357 range but I think anything approaching .44 territory would be a KB waiting to happen.

4. Big B

Big B NRA Member

10mm will drop a boar. Just ask Ted Nugent.

5. vafish

vafish

10mm will drop a boar, but the .44 mag will still be more powerfull and shoot heavier bullets.

It really depends if you want a revolver or a semi auto, and how much weight you wnat to carry. A Glock 20 is going to weigh less than any .44 mag except the Scadnium S+W's.

6. noway

noway

the 44mag in all fairness is the best out of the 3 mention calibers for hunting medium -to-large game. Wide range of bullet and can take all of the North American big game animals effectively and alot of species on the Dark Continents.

Now with that said, I got rid of my heavy 44mag revolver and whent with a lighter general purpose 10mm G20. The 10mm auto is a super caliber in a nice pkg called glock. Just remember it doesn't have the energy of the 44mag or 41mag and barely tops out or equal the KE ratings of that of a typical 357magnum w/4" or greater barrel.

7. mrdoright04/05

mrdoright04/05

44mag anyday of the week.:)

8. ECVMatt

ECVMatt

My favorite is the Glock 20 and my next choice would be a .44. I like the Glock because it has enough power to kill hogs, but is not very heavy. At the end of the day I barely notice my 20 where as my .44 BH pains my hip ever so slightly. The 20 also seems to get less debris (SP?) in it on a hard ride. I have gotten branches jammed in between my cylinder and frame before. Regardless of what gun you choose, get a good holster (I like the El Paso Saddlery Three Persons) to carry your gun in. I will make a world of difference. I guess my last choice would be a .357 because you can get a .44 or .45 Colt in almost the same size gun.

Have a good one.

Matt

9. Whiplash23

Whiplash23

Thanks y'all! I have just about made up my mind and the G20 is looking like the winner. My intent is not to use the weapon as a primary one when hunting but as a backup should I run into an angry hog, etc. I prefer autos to revolvers and Glocks to everything else for that matter mainly because of capacity and weight. I know revolvers are supposed to be more reliable, but between my three Glocks and my one wheel gun, the Taurus is the only one I have had to put away at the range because it wasn't working. As for any angry animals bigger than a hog (i.e. a momma bear), here is to hoping my .300 win mag is still loaded!