close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

10mm PIG STOMPIN'!!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by 10mmGuy, Dec 18, 2002.

1. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

I just got back from Mi. where me and my bud went hog huntin'. We both used our 20's his being a 3rd gen with adj. sites and I used my 1st gen with fixed just 'cause haven't kilt me anything with it yet. Both are with factory barrels etc.

We decided to use diferent loads to see how they perform on the hogs. He used 155gr Gold-dot from GA. His hog ended up wheighing 200-225. His first shot hit right behind the shoulder and actually knocked the pig over. I couldn't beleive it. The pig got up and he whacked it again as it ran off. It ended up running about 40yds total and crumpled. The bullets didn't pass through but when we gutted it there was plently of lung mash to go around! We should get the bullets back after we pick up the hogs from the butcher.

I used the 200gr XTP from T.A.C. My hog ended up being over 300lbs with huge a**-ed tusks. My first shot at about 20yds hit right behind the shoulder but the big porkbeast barely flinched as it started to run off. At about 35yds I touched off again anchoring the beast as I nailed him right behind the ear exiting out his eyeball. After looking him over we found that the first shot passed through exiting further back completly destroying both the lungs and liver, it looked like it expanded nicely also since the exit hole was about the size of a quarter. I was amazed I got a total pass through on a 300lb hog!

These darn 10mm's continue to amaze me. I was real impressed with how both these loads stomped pig a**! Can't wait to do it again!

2. m65swede

m65swede

Congratulations on your successful pig hunt. Those are tough as nails critters for sure; the Hornady XTP bullet is tailor made for such situations. Actually the performance of that XTP on your boar is fairly typical.

Swede

3. Scott H

Scott H Guest

Yep, you gotta love those XTP's.

4. noway

noway

{He used 155gr Gold-dot from GA. His hog ended up wheighing 200-225. His first shot hit right behind the shoulder and actually knocked the pig over.}

I never seen a hog get "knocked" over from being shot. He mostly likely fell/trip over trying to run away and the fear of being shot at.

5. river

river

Hi 10mmguy,

Can you tell me where in MI you went pig hunting. I live in SE MI and only know of small game and deer around here. I'd love to go for a piggie in state. Thanks.

6. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

noway
    "He mostly likely fell/trip over trying to run away and the fear of being shot at".............you're probably right but I was still impressed. I'm sure it was quite a shock to the pig though since the bullet didn't pass through and he absorbed every ounce of energy from 155gr. going about 1375fps. It was sure fun to watch!

river
    We were at Ted Nugents Sunrize Acres. It's near Jackson MI. Check em out here: http://www.tednugent.com/ranch/other_hunts.shtml Or call 1-800-343-HUNT and ask for paul. It's great fun!

7. noway

noway

Did you ever get that 155gr GD-HP back? I'm wondering on the total penetration that you received on that?

NOTE: Friend of mine whent hog hunting a while back with a 40sw and 165gr GD-HP it might have penetraed a whole 10-12" if that. A semi-perfect mush room with half the pellets deformed on just one side.

(imho)
    A XTP of more weight would have been better in both cases for stopping that hog and you might not have needed a second follow up shot.

8. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Dang that sounds like a big kick in the pants. Good shootin' bud!

9. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

noway
    I go to get the pigs tomorrow. If I can ever figure out this damn computer I'll even post pics of the bullets. I remember when we gutted my buddies pig that both sides of the ribs had holes. He was gonna try and dig the bullet out then but didn't want to get cut by sharp bone fragments.

Penetration from what I could see went like this: both bullets went through the hog expanding in the lungs turning them to mash, they then went through the far side ribs and buried themselves in the "grisle plate". This is almost the exact performance I had with some El Dorado Starfires out of my G29 on a similar sized pig. Only the starfires didn't expand. Pig still died but I have found much better loads than the Starfire.

I am convinced that a second shot wasn't needed and I'm sure the pig would have gone about the same distance if he would have held his fire. That's kinda hard with me whoopin' and hollerin' at him to "hit 'em again" :) We pretty much agree that when handgun hunting it's more akin to bow hunting where you make a good shot and then follow up on the kill rather than rifle hunting where you almost always expect the animal to drop on the spot.

Both hogs left a good blood trail, but they didn't start bleeding for awhile. I've noticed that on alot of 10mm kills I've had especially the pigs and bear.

I think my hog was running dead also. The shot to the head stopped him but only shortened the walk to the truck. I doubt if he would have made it more than 60-70yds anyway. When we gutted him the lungs and liver were mash and the exit was the size of a quarter. I'm not sure what a heavier bullet could have done that this one didn't.

I'm glad we used different rounds to try things out a bit. I think both performed exellent and would have no trouble using either on hogs again. If I have a choice I'll go with the XTP's but would feel confidant with either. For deer and "less dense" critters I would definatly pick the Gold-Dot.

10. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

Sorry it's taken me awhile, but I got the bullets back.

Two gold dots were recovered on the far shoulder of my buddies pig. One was mushroomed absolutly perfect. It was like you shot it into water or wet paper. The other was perfect except one petal was slightly deformed. I'd say they both performed exceptionaly well considering those tough porkers.

I've recovered the same bullet from deer and both times they were mashed up pretty good. Maybe they work better on thicker skinned animals like the porkbeasts we shot?;I