close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

10mm Glock 20 - Is it worth getting - why?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SilverState, Nov 22, 2004.

1. SilverState

SilverState

I have a Glock 26/27, 21, and 34. I also have a Five SeveN, 1911, and DE50AE.

I avoided 10mm because the ammo is costly. However, now that I have a DE50AE, I bought a Dillon 550 and am going to start reloading. So now I am considering a 10mm Glock.

Keeping in mind what I already have, should I get the 10mm Glock 20, and if so, why?

I carry my mini-Glock daily and use my Glock 21 for home defense (along with a 12ga). The others I use at the range.

2. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

Get a G20. You will find yourself shooting that more and more and more, especially since you have A Dillon 550.

The G21 will start collecting dust shortly after you purchase a G20!

Get it. NOW!

3. Charger01

Charger01 Free at Last

You have a 5.7 and your worrying about ammo costs?!? ;g
    Go get a 10mm, seriously.

4. SilverState

SilverState

What I said/wrote is that before I got a reloader, I did not want a 10mm because of the ammo cost. Now I have a reloader. So I am no longer concerned with the cost of ammo.

As for having the 5.7, ammo is .35 a round - not cheap, but nothing compare to the .50ae, which are almost a buck a shot.

5. Chainsaw Maniac

Chainsaw Maniac

I buy 10MM practice ammo from Georgia Arms for $190 per thou. I use their new, factory Gold Dot loads for defense, and pay about $27 per hundred. I can live with prices like that.

6. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

Get it if you want it, and don't if you don't...

Most of us in the 10 ring think the 10mm is a much better round than the venerable .45 acp and we have the stats to back it up. However, the .45 and many other rounds are much more popular and to some of us it doesn't make sense.
    The G20 is a nice lightweight, high capacity and reliable firearm. Think of it as your G21 on steroids...

7. Medpilot 2

Medpilot 2 Smkumifyagotum

Just be warned, if you end up getting the G20 you'll end up selling off your other Glocks. :cool:

8. CaliTheKid

CaliTheKid

I just bought a G-20 from a fellow GT'er today (he sold it because he likes the gen 2 frames better than the gen 3 finger groove ones). I bought mine for a hunting back up. I'm in Cali so I know it's enough gun for anything that I might run into. I like the 10mm round because it's a very hot, flat shooting round. I can swap out a .40 barrel to practice with making it also very affordable to shoot. I really like the idea of being able to take a Glock into the brush with me and knowing it's the right gun for the job. Only the G20 can do that for me.

9. big grip

big grip APC & Proud!

The 10mm is the "one" caliber that can do it all in an auto loader.

Load it up for med sized game, load it down for self defense, load it down further for plinking/USPSA. Or hell, load it up for target shooting too!

If it fits your hand you will not be unhappy with the gun/caliber. Remember, the Glock 17, 20, 36 & 37 are the only original Glock designs. Everything else is a mod. Glock built the large frame guns to handle the 10mm, that's why it works so darn well.

10. Ramses II

Ramses II The Great

;!
    Hey Silverstate,
    How ya' like the DE 50?!

11. SilverState

SilverState

Regarding the .50ae, at first, the muzzle flip was a little too much. It kinda bothered me that the spent casings come straight back, rather than to the side. And since it was my first time shooting it, I let the muzzle flip a little too much and got hit a couple of times with brass.

However, I put a weaver rail on it with a revision A EOTech, and now the muzzle does not flip too much and I find it to be very accurate, even at long distances. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

As for the 10mm, I might have to make one of these a part of my collection. Like someone said, a 45acp on roids. I am kinda curious as to recoil with such a light gun. I mean with the .45acp, it is like a gentle push. With the 9mm, it is almost nonexistant, and the same for the 5.7. I know I did not like the sharpness of the Glock 27 recoil in a gun that you can't fit your whole hand around - my groups were not that tight (which is why I went with a 9mm conversion barrel). I would think that with a fullsize Glock 20 10mm, that won't be a problem - would it be comparable to the Glock 21?

12. ted_bell

ted_bell

SilverState,

Where are you located? I'm in Reno and just happen to have a mint condition G20 for sale that I bought new in 1994 at the urging of Sen Feinstein. Probably have fired about 150 rounds through it. Let me know, and maybe we can work something out--save you a few bucks over buying one new.

TB

13. SilverState

SilverState

14. MCNETT

MCNETT Load Developer Lifetime Member

Get it and you won't regret it. Then go to the 10mm Reloading Forum and bask in the glory of the info!
    -Mike