Glock Talk banner

10mm Carbine load data and info

28K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  rvrrat14 
#1 ·
OK guys. By request, I've started a new sticky thread here for your load data and velocity results from 10mm Carbines. Anything that fits this category is not a pistol, such as ARs, TC-Contender's w/ really long barrels, and the other carbines that have been made in 10mm. Please describe barrel length and action type, but other pertinent data too.

Lots of these loads will cross-reference with the powder-company stickies, but here we'll see the velocities from the longer barrels.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm posting a charts of data I've compiled from my own data and others'.
One chart is just in the order I've gathered the data, the second sorts the data by 100 yard energy.
The 100 yard velocities and energies are calculated, not measured.

Updated charts 10/29/2009

Attachments

Reactions: 10mmVa
#7 ·
I wish I could have my pet load of 10.5 Grians Blue Dot under the Hornady 200 gr. XTP 300CCI primed COAL 1.260", tested in the longer carbine barrel. These have worked real well from my S&W1006 with velocities running 1175 fps to 1200 fps.

Speer listed the 10.5 grain charge under their 200FMJ @ 1.250" and tested from the Delta Elite @1175 fps in the 90's.

It should perform quite well from the carbine barrel length!

#11 ·
Carphunter: I've chronod the following out of my Coharie CA89-10 (HK Clone of MP5-10):

Barrel length: 8.85"
All ammo FMJ FP

A#7 : 10.8gr
1.250 OAL
CCI LPP
180gr
1220 Ave FPS

Power Pistol: 8.0gr
1.255 OAL
CCI LPP
180gr
1232 Ave FPS

Longshot: 8.5gr
1.260 OAL
Win LPP
180gr
1262 Ave FPS

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks Carphunter for the good information. This info is timely for me. I'm considering the purchase of a Thereon Defense Carbine in 10MM Auto and needed to know the kind of increase in velocity I could achieve over a handgun. If the increase is not substantial, I will buy a Kel-Tec Sub-2K 9MM Auto instead (the Kel-Tec is half the price of the Thereon and 9MM ammo is a lot less expensive than a 10MM). So I will pour over your data and hope there are good gains in the 10MM which will justify the purchase of the Thereon.

BTW, I own carbines in 44 Magnum and 357 Magnum and both show very substantial gains in velocity when fired from a carbine compared to a handgun. In fact, the gains are so striking in the 357 Magnum (300 to 400 fps) that the 357 Magnum is a completely different cartridge when fired out of a carbine.

Again, thanks for the good work - I'm familliar with the effort - and I appreciate it.

#13 ·
I am really interested in a Mech Tech carbine.

Any information available here? I have watched the few UTube videos avail me

CW

#14 ·
Have fun digging. In the past, there were more threads on the MechTech.
Specifically, comparing the 10mm to either the colt .45 style mechtechs... or most other glock mechtech calibers.

the 10mm didn't fare well comparatively.

Unfortunately... it's been a long time since it's been discussed, so it may be difficult to find the real old threads that walked through the issues, and where actual g20 owners who had the product were discussing the issues they had.

#15 ·
I am really interested in a Mech Tech carbine.

Any information available here? I have watched the few UTube videos avail me

CW
I use both a Glock 20 with a stock bbl and a EFK 6" ported bbl, plus a mech tech in 10 mm. The mech tech functions well and is reasonably accurate. Scoped it can shoot sub 1" groups at 50 yds. It is a little on the heavy side, apprx. 7 lbs empty. It functions flawlessly. The only real complaint I have is that with heavy bullets over hot loads the brass is not safe for reuse in my opinion. I attribute this to what appears to be an excessive lack of support around the feed ramp. There appears to be less case support than the stock barrel, even more when compared to the EFK bbl. I use 200 xtp slugs and double tap 200 lgc slugs over 8.2 gns of longshot powder. In my pistol (EFK bbl) I get 1220 fps, with no signs of pressure. Oddly the lead bullet is slightly slower, at approx 1205 fps. When fired from the Mech Tech I get 1350 fps from the 200 xtp. The problem is when fired from the mech tech spent brass exhibit a bulge near the web for about a third of the diameter of the case. I definitely would not re-use these cases.

I get much better results with lighter bullets. 135 to 150 grn slugs with copius amounts of Longshot really scream, but do not exhibit any bulge. The increase in velocity over the pistol is really dramatic with the lighter weight bullets. I assume this is because the larger powder charges can really benefit from the longer bbl of the Mech tech. With both the 135 & 150 slugs, 1000 plus foot pounds energy is easily reached. This is about 40% increase in energy over the same ammo in the pistol.

I use my Mech Tech primarily for home defense and hunting deer. For home defense I keep the mech tec loaded with 135 jhp in 20 rd magazine, along with my model 20 and 20 rd mags. Both guns use the same ammo and same mags, an ideal set up.

#17 ·
MechTech 10mm carbine; blowback operation

NOTE:
Velocities include (G20 OEM) for comparison
Single factory load for 40 S&W included for comparison
* These loads are safe in my G20 and MechTech carbine. Work up any loads properly for your own firearms. All data is within SAAMI specifications.

165gr. PowerBond Flat Point/TC
AA 9 — 14.7gr
COAL - 1.255
1604 fps (1256 fps)

165gr. Speer GDHP
AA 9 - 15.2gr
COAL - 1.255
1605 fps (1256 fps)

180gr. Hornady XTP
AA 9 - 13.7gr
COAL - 1.257
1508 fps (1180 fps)

Factory SIG 180gr. FMJ
1402 fps

Factory Blazer 40 S&W 180gr FMJ
1182 fps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.