Glock Talk banner

10mm bullet choice for SD against humans where its usually warm

2640 Views 66 Replies 46 Participants Last post by  CDW4ME
Which bullet option would you pick for SD against human attacker.
Caveat: will be carried where its usually warm (FL) so winter clothing is unlikely.

Option one, a 150 JHP like this:
10mm Auto 150gr. Sporting Jacketed Hollow Point Hunting & Self Defense Ammo

Option two a 180 JHP like this:
10mm Auto 180gr. Sporting Jacketed Hollow Point Hunting & Self Defense Ammo
10mm Auto 180gr. eXtreme Terminal Performance (XTP®) Jacketed Hollow Point Hunting & Self Defense Ammo

Equal shot placement is a given. Oh please do not post that is is all about shot placement.
Equal accuracy, no difference in accuracy and POI is fine either way.
All bullet options have been tested for reliability and they all work.
You have boxes and boxes of all the ammo, availability is a non-issue.
No bears.

Which bullet would you carry and why?
Reactions: Hauki
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
1,491 Posts
Caveat: will be carried where its usually warm (FL) so winter clothing is unlikely.

10mm Auto 180gr. eXtreme Terminal Performance (XTP®) Jacketed Hollow Point Hunting & Self Defense Ammo

Equal shot placement is a given. Oh please do not post that is is all about shot placement.
No bears.

Did you recently acquire a 10mm?

· Registered
673 Posts
I would not feel "undergunned," with either of the 2 180 gr. options from Underwood. I carry their 200 gr. offering because the original design parameters for the "perfect" caliber, as written by Jeff Cooper, were "at least .40 caliber, at least 200 gr, and at least 1000 fps."

The 180 gr loads were produced when the Feebles adopted the 10mm, and found that too many... shall we say, "slight" agents could not handle the recoil of the original loads, which then led to the .40 cal Short and Weak.

Only problem with 10mm loads, is that some will penetrate soft body armor, and we had a neighboring agency that carried loads that would penetrate the armor they wore, not very smart, considering the risk of gun take-aways.

· Registered
1,491 Posts
I would not feel "undergunned," with either of the 2 180 gr. options from Underwood. I carry their 200 gr. offering because the original design parameters for the "perfect" caliber, as written by Jeff Cooper, were "at least .40 caliber, at least 200 gr, and at least 1000 fps."

The 180 gr loads were produced when the Feebles adopted the 10mm, and found that too many... shall we say, "slight" agents could not handle the recoil of the original loads, which then led to the .40 cal Short and Weak.

Only problem with 10mm loads, is that some will penetrate soft body armor, and we had a neighboring agency that carried loads that would penetrate the armor they wore, not very smart, considering the risk of gun take-aways.
Does that agency issue or authorize ARs?

· Registered
72 Posts
I personally like the 180xtp. It collectively shoots the best out of my three glocks and 1911 Razorback. I reload and typically the Hornady bullets are the least expensive of the higher quality hollow point bullets. From all the online research I’ve done they hold together better than most hollow points resulting in better penetration. I’ve only used them on varmints and they have been more than adequate.

24,350 Posts

No bears.

I would chose either of the 180 grain Underwood loads because with the greater mass and sectional density of the heavier projectile it is a more powerful and effective load than the lighter 150 grain load.

But why use the absolute most powerful and effective load against thin skinned predatory recidivist humanoids rather than big game? Because if the only way to stop anything or anyone from killing you, is to kill them, you can't kill them too dead or have them succumb to death too fast.

Underwood seems to like the Nosler JHP's and I assume they've tested them in ballistics gel to gauge the relative effectiveness, But I always liked the XTP for hunting and the Gold dot for defense, which they used to offer, but now I no longer see them listed in the Underwood catalog. And the reason I like teh Gold Dots is because the Gold dot tends to expand more than the XTP, while the XTP will penetrate more in tougher, thicker skinned large body animals.

· Registered
1,555 Posts
Does it ever get exhausting posting threads like this? :p

I'll give credit here though - this is not a caliber war thread but an intra-caliber war thread. Nice twist.

I would choose #2 because it's clearly the best.
But I need to know how it will work on bears too!
:ROFLMAO:

Oh, and I use the same JHP load I use for everything else-
200 grain XTP @ 1200 fps.

· Registered
1,939 Posts
I carry Sig V crown in town when I carry my G20. It's easily available locally for me, shoots very much like the Sig FMJ load, and has decent performance with relatively low recoil.

I save the hot loads for the woods. For in town I would rather have a lower recoil load for faster follow up shots.

I would be fine carrying the Speer gold dot or HST or XTP too.

· Premium Member
4,152 Posts
I carried factory Hornady 180 XTPs in my Glock 20 at work for 10 years or so. If I were to select a 10mm round for CCW today that’s what it would be. It’s a well balanced loading you can shoot rapidly without undue degradation to shot placement.

Second choice would probably be Speer 200 grain Gold Dots loaded by Speer. I would personally not choose anything from one of the boutiques for personal protection. Not because of liability, but rather because shot placement with follow up shots or on multiple or moving targets suffers to an unacceptable degree for me.

· Registered
15,939 Posts
Anything will do.
Absolutely!

Years ago, I was at a club range. A friend/mentor/national level shooting instructor appeared on the range. He was shooting white box 40 S&W.

I discussed "defensive rounds". This what he said:
1. he never missed at what he shot.
2. white box went bang consistently.
3. he did not reload
a. it was messy
b. it took up space

For years, I have read threads about:
1. it couldn't possibly be me - it's the bad Glock
2. what is the best round for defense - (I would never pay for training so that I would register hits on target with a Glock at 300 yards, while standing still, while walking, while running)

The guy is right.
1. one type of ammo
2. one consistent round that went bang every time
3. no mess, no fuss.

· Registered
39,768 Posts
I lost interest in the then-new 10mm once it was hot-rodded by Norma from the original vision Cooper had of a 200gr JHP running 1000fps. However, then the idea of a 170gr JHP running 1300fps, and the 175gr STHP (W-W) running 1200-1250fps, seemed as though it might be interesting, at least for those folks who were willing to practice enough to handle the recoil and muzzle blast.

The 10mm guns of that time weren't really that interesting to me, so I didn't adopt the cartridge. Yes, I include the G20, as I handled and fired the first G20 imported into the US, in '90, and the Glock rep provided some Norma ammo to use on the range. It was just too large, fat-gripped and too 'sproingy' in its cycling. The Delta and 1006 series had somewhat slimmer grip frames, but were too large and heavy.

If I were going to be able to have a steady supply of modern 10mm JHP ammunition designed for self defense, and a medium-length/weight compact 10mm in which to run it, I'd be happy with either the old-style W-W 175gr STHP or one of the major-maker modern 180gr JHP's that weren't designed for hunting.

The original 10mm concept, as envisioned by Cooper, is mostly covered by the .40 S&W, which can be chambered into a shorter grip frame, instead of a .45 grip frame (front/back length), so I'll continue with the .40's I already own.

· you savvy?
23,203 Posts
When I carried a 10mm off duty for a brief time I loaded it with the double tap 135gr. round. It was advertised at 1,600fps though I only got 1,475ish checked with a coworker's chronograph.

Today I'd go with a 165gr. loaded properly from Underwood if I had to do it again.

· Registered
40,451 Posts
For SD load, i like 180, slightly less penetration than full 200gr. Though if i am carrying my g20sf, its likely in the woods so probably 200gr xtp or Nosler or lwnfp handloads.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts