Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to start back working full time! Started thinking about 10mm again while weed wacking. Digging around my shelves I found my 40s&w/10mm die set and 400 180gr. FMJ's in .401 I'd forgotten about. All I need to reload 10mm would be a Dillon caliber conversion (to use the 550) and some brass. Didn't take long to find some of that online.
Would I be gaining anything (other than some FPS) going to a 6" long slide versus a standard 5" barrel in a 1911?

Reactions: DubfromGA

·
Registered
36,205 Posts
I really need to start back working full time! Started thinking about 10mm again while weed wacking. Digging around my shelves I found my 40s&w/10mm die set and 400 180gr. FMJ's in .401 I'd forgotten about. All I need to reload 10mm would be a Dillon caliber conversion (to use the 550) and some brass. Didn't take long to find some of that online.
Would I be gaining anything (other than some FPS) going to a 6" long slide versus a standard 5" barrel in a 1911?
Higher vel & a bit kess recoil. I will get a long slide for my g20sf one day as a hunting rig.

Reactions: Collo Rosso

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fred. What velocity differences do you think we're talking about? 20+ FPS or more over 5"? Most upper loads I'm finding are in the neighborhood of 1200FPS. I had no problems with good hi-tek coated bullets at this and a bit higher speed with 357mag. Same with 10mm?

·
18,929 Posts
I like the way the Glock 20 (4.6 inch barrel) balances in my hands and how much easier it comes out of the holster much better than the 6 inch barreled G40 which feels to me like a crew-served weapon.

I even tried installing a 6 inch barrel in my G20 and even with the shorter slide I still didn't like that much better so I had the six inch barrel cut back to 5 inches and now it's absolutely perfect. I could have even gone to 5 1/4 and it would still be good.

·
Registered
36,205 Posts
Thanks Fred. What velocity differences do you think we're talking about? 20+ FPS or more over 5"? Most upper loads I'm finding are in the neighborhood of 1200FPS. I had no problems with good hi-tek coated bullets at this and a bit higher speed with 357mag. Same with 10mm?
On higher pressure rds, depending on powder, 35-40fps per inch. Slower powders give you more than faster powders. Though every bbl is diff. I would think AA#9 in a 6" would be as good as it gets under 200gr bullets. I bet you could get 1300fps without bending anything.

·
Sometimes grumpy, not old
1,167 Posts
Power Pistol load out of stock Glock 20: 1,293
Same load out of my Glock 40: 1,367

·
Registered
36,205 Posts
Power Pistol load out of stock Glock 20: 1,293
Same load out of my Glock 40: 1,367
So 1.5" more bbl, 60fps, about right. Of course one must take into account the diff bbl manuf specs, all bbls are diff. You could see 35-40fps doff between same lengths in diff guns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts