GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
NRA Patron Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a new Gen 4 Glock 20 on the way from Buds Gun Shop.

This is probably a dumb question, but can you shoot .40 cal out of a 10mm? If so, can you use the 10mm magazines to do it?

I thought I read somewhere that you could, but you shouldn't. What say everyone?

Thanks. I'm a 10mm newby wanting to learn.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You can shoot .40 S&W out of your Glock 20, you do not need a conversion barrel or different magazines. I picked up a Gen 4 G20 a few weeks ago and first time out put 100 rounds of 10mm and then 50 rounds of .40 through it. Did not have any feeding or cycling issues. I haven't had any issues with my Gen 4 G29 either.

The recoil of shooting .40 in the pistol was pretty tame although I did get some brass to the face.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
It can be hard on the extractor as that is all that keeps the .40s from sliding farther into the chamber but... yes you can. Nice to know that with ammo shortages you can do just that!

·
Registered
501 Posts
With the ammo shortages 10mm is all I can consistently find which is how I ended up with a 29 and then a 20 when I could find it.

·
In The Saddle
7,116 Posts
Short answer.. You can shoot 40S&W through the stock G20. But I personally don't think it is a wise idea, and see no need in it. If ya got a 40S&W, just shoot them out of that!

CM
:horse:

·
NRA Patron Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.....I appreciate the answers.
I have gathered everything needed to reload 10mm and that's what I plan on doing when ammo is hard to come by.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Yes, I used to run 40S&W out of mine G20 all the time. The extractor holds the round and you can use the same magazine.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
I shot up some leftover boxes 40 S&W in my gen4 G20. They all cycled fine using the 10mm mags and factory barrel.
I prefer to stick with 10mm, but it is always nice to have another caliber choice when there are shortages.

Reactions: Fanner50

·
Registered
505 Posts
It boils down to one thing- Can you and Should you.

Yes you can shoot 40S&W out of a 10mm pistol.

Should you shoot 40S&W in a 10mm pistol? Probably not and the reason is that both head space off the case mouth. The only thing holding the 40S&W is the extractor and it it not properly head spacing in a 10mm barrel.

Yes I know it works but it is not recommended. Yes I would do it in a pinch if that was all I had in a bad situation but I sure wouldn't do it on a regular basis.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
^^^ No, most 10mm ammo does not head space at all, but is held by the extractor. Prove it to yourself by checking your ammo against the SAAMI OAL of 1.260" and you will see that most loads are well below that. Also plunk test it in your barrel and you will see that it sets below the breech tab of a Glock barrel. It doesn't hurt anything to run 40S&W in a 10mm, course then I'm only basing it on my own actual experience of over 8,000 rounds of 40S&W thru a G20.

·
Registered
505 Posts
^^^ No, most 10mm ammo does not head space at all, but is held by the extractor. Prove it to yourself by checking your ammo against the SAAMI OAL of 1.260" and you will see that most loads are well below that. Also plunk test it in your barrel and you will see that it sets below the breech tab of a Glock barrel. It doesn't hurt anything to run 40S&W in a 10mm, course then I'm only basing it on my own actual experience of over 8,000 rounds of 40S&W thru a G20.
I won't argue with you and your results.

I still would not do it on a regular basis. To me it is no different than shooting 38 special in a 357 or 9mm in a 9mm Largo/38 Super chamber or shooting 22L,22S, 22CB in a 22LR, in that it can lead to chamber issues/damage.

To each their own man.

·
In The Saddle
7,116 Posts
^^^^ Good word! I've been shooting Glock 10mm for a very very long time. As I said, 'I think,' in my post somewhere above here, you can, but it is not wise, and I do a good deal of crazy wildcatting stuff, and with my hand loads for over 45 years of that with different cals... But it is just not a great idea outside of "man I have to for some reason.." I can keep "popping/dumping" the clutch in the muscle car in low gear all the time, but not a good idea. ;)

But as the above poster said...."To each their own man..."

CanyonMan
:horse:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Congrats on picking up Glock’s best handgun!

I too purchased my Glock 20.4 from Bud’s. They’ve given me good service over the past few years and will get more of my business.

·
NRA Patron Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats on picking up Glock’s best handgun!

I too purchased my Glock 20.4 from Bud’s. They’ve given me good service over the past few years and will get more of my business.
I've used Bud's quite a lot. I am very happy with them. I use a small one man shop for my transfers. He charges $25.00, so it works out well.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Here is the description:
Barrel Features:

• PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA!!
  • Fits all Glock generations
  • Designed for lead, plated, or jacketed ammunition
  • Certified, stress relieved 416 stainless steel
  • Button rifled, three stage honed bore
  • Industry recognized SBN premium coating (SBN is Salt Bath Nitride, similar to Tennifer)
  • Heat treated to RC 40-42, then SBN coating increases surface hardness to RC 60
  • Exacting tolerances allow for drop in installation
  • Fluting creates path for heat and debris to escape

1 - 20 of 27 Posts