close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

10mm 1911s tell me about yours please!!!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by SkippyThe, Mar 28, 2010.

1. SkippyThe

SkippyThe

I'm comeing back to 1911s after years away. I love the 10mm and will never be without one. Please tell me about your 10mm 1911s and how you like them and how they are holding up. I will shoot the gun alot. Thanks ST

2. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

The only 10mm 1911 I have is my Wilson Tactical Elite. It is back at Wilson right now getting a new safety and some Bulletproof upgrades. It is a great shooting pistol. The 10mm is one of my favorite calibers to shoot.

[​IMG]

3. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

[​IMG]

4500-Rds Later:
    http://www.bren-ten.com/agtman/id10.html

Master Pistolsmith Vic Tibbets customized my Delta Elite several years back, and that link goes to an update piece I wrote after reaching the round-count indicated. (You can find earlier write-ups on the gun there too).

Now, of course, it's significantly over 5,000-rds - and still going.

When 10mm 1911s are set-up right, they run just fine.

If I decide to get one of Colt's stainless "limited run" Deltas, I'll probably keep it near-stock, except for some minimalist touches like Wolff XP springs, an EGW f.p. stop ... and, maybe, a different weight mainspring.

:cool:

4. MD357

MD357

:drool::drool::drool: A Tibbets Delta build? Consider me thoroughly jealous....

5. remat

remat

I have a (2009) Colt Delta Elite and a Dan Wesson CBOB. Love them both! They are on the verge of replacing my Glock 23/27 as EDC, although the warmer it gets that may not happen.

I am seriously thinking about have a CCO built for carry because it would be :perfect10:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  6. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Same here. :thumbsup:

7. bac1023

bac1023

Vic Tibbets is one hell of a 1911 smith. :)

8. CMG

CMG

While not in the same class as the Tibbets' custom (yeah, I'm jealous too), I have a Dan Wesson Sportsman (RZ10) that runs great and is very accurate!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. nolt

nolt DONT PANIC!

yeah im jealous of the tibbets DE as well!

ive got a DW RZ-10 kinda like CMG's except mine is a 'razorback' instead of a 'sportsman.' the basic differences being that it came without the FS checkering, has novak fixed sight cuts, and a FLGR.

i had mine checkered, blasted, night sights added, trigger tuned, magwell added, and beveled. i also had them smooth out the serrations/scores on the brown grip safety. dunno why but i never cared for that.

i had some reliability issues with it early on like premature slide lock mid-mag, some feed failures, etc... but they appear to have worked themselves out. im at about 1500rds through mine. it still mangles maybe 5/100 empty cartridges coming out (barrel hood) if the loads are relatively heavy. moderate loads no problems. none fail to eject.
    i seem to be reducing the brass mangling by filing down the ejector per the advice of D.Severns.

[​IMG]

10. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

At this time I would look at getting a Dan Wesson Razorback while you still can find one. Mine is great for the money. Second choice would be a Colt Delta.

11. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

That is a sweet looking pistol.

12. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

Thanks!

Truthfully, he built or customized a number of Deltas and 10mm 1911s before getting his hands on mine.

And that's what I liked about Vic: he wasn't at all hostile to the caliber and, from his experience in working on them, he knew how to set up a 10mm to run without a hitch even when using tight, match-grade components.

And that's all before considering how his stylistic touches can set your 1911 apart from everyone elses ...

Who is Vic Tibbets?
    http://www.bren-ten.com/agtman/id11.html

Link to pics of various Tibbets custom 1911s (you'll see what I mean ;) ):

http://www.pt-partners.com/custom/tibbets.htm

:cool:

13. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

[​IMG]

I don't know, ... both yours and Nolt's look great to me. :thumbsup:

If it's a 10mm 1911, it's all good. :rock:

14. CynicX

CynicX

Droooooool. Regardless those are beautiful pistols!!! I love em!

15. ranburr1

ranburr1

I have owned a number of 10mms over the yrs. They all shot great. I am down to three now: The last and final Les Baer 10mm made, DW Razorback, and a Tanfoglio/Witness Elite Stock. The Elite Stock is the best shooting of the bunch followed by the DW. Other than price, there really isn't much difference between the DW and the Baer.