10mm 180gr - what JHP bullet?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 133124, Aug 5, 2015.

1. 133124

133124 Guest

I want to set up my G20 for house defense. I want to reload 180gr JHP as the bullet. My question is: what I have seen and are generally available are XTP. Speer, Nosler, Sierra, Barnes, etc. I will load probably around 1250 fps - no less than 1150 fps, max 1300 fps.
    Which bullet generally performs well in the G20? I am considering feeding, accuracy, expansion, weight retention, and so on.
    Thanks

2. Lindenwood

Lindenwood

XTPs tend to be cheaper, more accurate, and provide better weight retention across all calibers and bullet weights than most other brands. I also like the XTP for its controlled expansion and deeper penetration--a lot more fights have been lost because of underpenetration than from too-narrow wound tracks.

3. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

Hard to beat an XTP for accuracy and feeding especially. Hard to beat, period.

Tuco 44 likes this.
  4. 133124

133124 Guest

Thank you both. Just placed an order for 200 bullets XTP 180gr to see how much fun I can have How fast are you pushing these? Maybe also asking what is the fastest you go?

5. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

I can push them 1400fps+ with 800X @ 9.6-9.8g through a 6" KKM, but I find them most accurate slower than that, and have settled on 9.1g 800X and 1300fps @1.26". That, or Blue Dot 10.5g @ 1.26 and around 1220-50 depending on temp., etc.. Both loads very accurate. Lighter XTPs just don't have that long bearing surface in the rifling the 180 and 200g have, and I really notice the groups opening up at 50 yards (distance at favorite piggy blind to feeder, yup) with the 155g or lighter compared to the man-boolit 180gs. There are plenty of You tube videes of the XTP in action and I think I recall partial jacket separation of a 180 individual bullet at around 1400fps. I could be wrong +-. That's asking a heckuva lot of a pistol bullet anyway. You will love them, and their step child the Hornady "HAP" for a cost savings. Cruise over to 10 MM Reloading under the "Gun Clubs" category here, and you'll see lots o' loads. Great cartridge, the 10, really first w/ large enough capacity to tool around with powders and, yes, get into trouble, as some threads and photos attest to.

BgDnTx likes this.
  6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Frankly, for home defense, I would choose Gold Dots and I would load them to about 1150fps. You will get plenty of penetration and lots of expansion. I think anything over 1150fps you are giving away too much from a recovery time standpoint while gaining little (maybe losing some with GD's) in terminal performance in a HD setting.

I really like XTP's if I am loading for hunting/trail, they would be one of the two bullets I would choose, along with a 200gr WFNGC, but the added penetration and velocity tolerance of the later two just isn't a priority when I am loading for SD.

Just my $.02.

fredj338, happie2shoot and BgDnTx like this.
  7. 133124

133124 Guest

Super answers from AA and WW. You guys know your stuff. I load 44 SWC but first time w/ 10mm. Thanks

8. Taterhead

Taterhead

The virtues of the XTP have been detailed above, and I agree with them. It is a versatile bullet, and my G20 shoots them well.

That being said, I would choose the GDHP loaded to modest velocities ~ 1100 to 1150 fps. Plenty of energy for positive bullet expansion, but very manageable to shoot. I would likely load it with Accurate no. 7 due to the low flash properties.

WeeWilly and BgDnTx like this.
  9. 133124

133124 Guest

Thank you Taterhead. GDHP has been my choice in factory (GDHP 135gr +p short barrel in my backup airweight right now) ammo for a good while although I run HST 165 in my 40. And I have had experience with #7 and have some of that. Flash is something I should consider more often.

10. GregP220

GregP220

John Linebaugh (custom revolver builder from Cody Wyo) did some tests with enormous hardcast bullets and found even those started to penetrate less when pushed past 1100 fps. Those bullets do not expand but they do have a broad flatnose and they plow through meat and bone.

A 180 xtp or Gold Dot at 1100 would ruin somebody's day and it wouldn't destroy your hearing like 1400 fps loads.

Tuco 44 and BgDnTx like this.
  11. 133124

133124 Guest

Interesting about Linebaugh. And given a moment of thought pushing 180 gr at 1100 fps is stout. Thanks GregP220.

This is a (sorry - long) follow-up. After reading 2 of the 4 articles by John Linebaugh, I have to agree they are very informative and interesting. If I get it, what he is saying is. whatever the configuration and caliber the gun with a reloaded bullet, (specifically the 44 Mag and 45 LC) it has a certain "window" of performance based on bullet weight and charge. I think he is concluding that lesser charges and lighter bullets restrict the guns performance and are a waste of powder, so to speak. And "pushing" the cartridge beyond the "window" including using heavier bullets, result in diminishing returns and guns that wear out faster or even malfunction: all this he related to CUP pressure.
    Simply put, we can get more power at higher loads and heavier bullets, but why if it's doing the job at the more efficient operating range? Does an extra 50 fps drop them any faster when we are already going 1100 fps? Does a 220 gr bullet offer so much better performance than a 180 gr? I like his statement, "if it goes through the animal, what more is needed?"

My conclusion is, in the G20, a 180 gr bullet ranging from 1100 to 1200 fps vs. 1300+ fps seems to be in that window of efficiency and beneficial by increasing accuracy while minimizing flash, recoil, boom, et cetera, and still getting the job done. I am also reevaluating my 44 Mag loads accordingly.

And as another poster said, that's my $.02 :>)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  12. fredj338

fredj338

I'll throw in with the 180gr XTP crowd. Easy to push them 1200fps & plenty for HD w/o excessive flash/blast & recoil. My other choice, if you an find them, is the 165gr RGS running about 1250fps. A very good load for HD/SD.

13. 133124

133124 Guest

My 180gr XTPs shipped today. Now, which powder for 1200 fps? I see AA#7 mentioned in other threads, and happen to have a lb. But have some others like H110 unique and bullseye. Hmmm

14. bobonit

bobonit McCroskey

H110/Win296 is too slow. Accurate #9, Hodgdon Longshot, 800X and Blue Dot will all get you over 1200fps. Blue Dot is always fun at the indoor range since it has a loud bark.

15. 133124

133124 Guest

Yeah, seen 800X mentioned too and left it out. I have been reloading only a couple of years and realize how much some of you know and how much I need to learn. Thanks bobonit.

16. billybob44

billybob44 LoaderHolic

One powder that I haven't seen mentioned is LongShot..

For the upper end LongShot works well...Bill.:2gun:

17. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

Look, I'm always thinking "hunt" and rarely "human"; for human targets, there're many: #7, for instance. #9 has a heavy recoil impulse loaded strong; I'd go light for sub-human perpetrators with that. Again for super velocity, there's previously mentioned 800x which is KING of V, but also Viht's N350 and 3N37 and some tout 3N38, are spectacular velocity generators (loaded NOT with Vihtavourri's data, but look to Speer's--around 9g for both 3n37 and N350 will yield your + 1200 easy). These powders are just not as accurate as 800X or Blue Dot out to 50 yards+, where I shoot as it's my favorite blind's distance to piggy target. Fred may cringe, but I'm talking longer ranges for critters, not up-close. For that I use whatever I've got and don't think about it. But it most probably isn't a G20 unless someone's attacking me in the bush, or at the range (knock or touch wood on that). Have you checked the "10MM reloading" category under "Gun Clubs" yet? Spectacular stuff I'm learning a lot from:therapy:

18. fredj338

fredj338

AA#7 will get you there. Other good powders are Longshot, BLueDot, AA#9 & PowerPistol, but most will give huge fireballs too. You might get close with a max load of Unique, 1150fps for sure.

19. 133124

133124 Guest

Well again street tells me penetration and barriers. I need 15-17 inches. But yes, for South Tx Whitetail and hog 1200 fps is fine. Actually for deer I crossbow in early season. To drop them .556 headshot or 44 Mag. 7.5" Redhawk - don't like to chase them. :>)

20. orangeride

orangeride

I recently picked up some pulled 180gr hst. I loaded them just about 1100fps which is about 25fps faster than some gel shot vids I watched of a g35 shooting factory ammo. The recoil is super soft. I've used a bunch of different powder but prefer autocomp cause it has like no flash.