10M Ham Radio

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rrog, May 11, 2007.

1. rrog

rrog

What exactly is a 10M ham radio and what are its limitations. Does it get 2M or others or does it only get signals on 10M bands? I've found a Galaxy 10 model on eBay. It comes with an Astatic mic. Other than that possibly being the brand of mic, I don't know what "astatic" is. The cost is $185 plus shipping. IYO, would this be a decent model to start with?

Thanks,
    rrog

2. FN64

FN64

10M runs slightly higher in freq than the 11M CB band.
    28.000 MHz - 29.700 MHz
    It WILL NOT work on the 2M band.
    144.000 MHz - 148.000 MHz

Currently the 10M band is extremely limited due to the sunspot cycle.. we're at the bottom and it will improve over the next 5-6 years. Openings DO occur but they're occasional and unpredictable.

IMHO I'd stay away from it.. "Galaxy" is known for making CB's not for ham gear. "Astatic" is a microphone manufacturer.
    You'll do much better and be happier in the long term buying a new ham rig from a ham radio store.. it comes with warranty, it will be "type accepted" by the FCC, it won't be "tweaked, modified, or tinkered with" and you can generally expect it to do what it's advertised to do.

FN

3. martho

martho

IMO: bad choice

You are going to want something that will work in the area where your license will allow you to transmit. A 10m only radio is a waste for someone who is trying to learn about the hobby. A galaxy 10m is nothing more than a glorified CB. Sure, it may transmit in the band plan for 10m, but it's not what you want. A huge waste of $185

The other thread said it best. You need to learn about the bands and the corresponding license privilege that license grants. You need to find some locals to assist you prior to purchasing a radio. If you don't know the difference between 10m and 2m and if a radio will operate on one or either of the bands, you are not in a good position to purchase a radio.

Trust those of us who have been down the path you are taking now. Find someone, or a local group, who can help you learn the hobby.

4. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

Not to mention illeagal to sell in the US.

If you want a dedicated 10M rig go with the Radio Shack HTX-10. I have one and it is great for 10M operation. Only setback is no CW. Worked around the world with it (25 watts) and a simple 10M dipole.

5. FN64

FN64

Rich..
    I just ran a search on the RS site & all I could find was the manual for the HTX-10. Looks like they just don't carry it anymore.

Actually they need to take the "Radio" part out of their name cause they cater to telephones , toys & other assorted cheap Indochinese junk they stamp the Tandy logo on. I can't even get coax or a PL-259 at the local store. I stopped trying.
    A few years ago they DID carry some fairly decent gear. I still have and use a 202 brick. Tough SOB!!
    I'll stand by my earlier statement.. Buy ham gear from a ham store!

& ++ on Martho's statement.. "Trust those of us who have been down the path you are taking now. Find someone, or a local group, who can help you learn the hobby."

We're trying to keep others from making the same mistakes as many of us have. Our advice is freely offered and we are humble enough to admit when we DON'T know something. We're hoping you listen and research the advice we offer. We're trying as best we can to get folks started off on the right track..

73..FN

6. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

7. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

You are correct. RS had dumped all their ham radio stuff. I got my HTX-10 for $89.00 and I think it was the last one in Indy. I thought it would be a hyped up CB but it is indeed a solid rig. Got many a 5/9 world wide.

I don't know about your part of the country but some RS stores do have parts (PL259 etc.) Here in Indy it depends on where the store is located. None of the mall stores have them.

8. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

10 meter is considered General privlidges anyway isnt it?

9. FN64

FN64

28.0 - 28.5 is open to all classes, Tech included.
    28.0 - 28.3 is data, cw etc. 28.3 - 28.5 SSB
    28.5 - 29.7 is limited to General & Extra.

FN

10. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I remember when Radio Shack was a radio and electronics parts store. Back when they had tube testing machines along the back wall. Those were the days. Now they don't carry anything I want. Now I have to drive across town to a place called Electronics Parts Outlet. They carry all the connectors, parts and even Ham stuff. Radio Shack is a joke now.

11. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

RS thinks they can compete with the consumer market stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) I worked for RS back in the late 1970s when all they had was their brand. Their thinking then was that the profit was in the small accessories and parts. Remember the battery cards? ;)

Just to play the other side though, how many hams are now just "appliance" users? $250 at HRO or AES and you are on the air, plug and play. When was the last time someone built a code pratice oscillator?

12. FN64

FN64

Electronics shops in general are becoming a thing of the past.
    Anyone know a TV repairman thats making a living?? When was the last time anyone had a VCR fixed. The cheap Indochinese imports wiped that industry off the map

Here in eastern Maine its a ~50 mile drive just to get an SO-239 or some decent coax. Those places are the contractors the keep the public safety rigs & repeaters going so they have some pretty decent stuff as well as a good test bench if ya need a cavity re tuned or the use of equipment that's beyond my means to purchase.

I've tried, on several occasions, to convince the owner of the local hardware store (a ham) to carry a few common items for tinkering on antennas etc but he's not interested..oh well.

I usually load up on connectors, insulators, coax etc at a ham fest & hope I have enough "stuff" to see me thru.

The local RS has a drawer with various caps, resistors & even a few inductors but it's more of a junk drawer parts bin...dig around & hope ya find what yer lookin for...

Sorry for the rant but RS generally sux!!

FN

13. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

You can find SO-239's and spacers for 58 at my local rat shack, but they don't know where they are ;)

Any thing else, you're at a loss. I remember when they took the drawers out and the TV's came in. That I thought would be the downfall of Radio Shack. No more neat stuff (I had one of those robotic arms and a lot of electronics kits) Just batteries and cell phones.

You have questions, we have blank stares. ;)