close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

$100 million, who would you share it with

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bilbo Bagins, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I had a weird thought. Say you played the Powerball or Lottery and you hit for $220 million dollars. After Taxes, fees to lawyers and accounts, you are left with $100 million in the bank to play with.

You have Plenty of money to take care of yourself for the rest of your life. Also legally and morally if your are married, your wife would have a say in that money, or else she can divorce you and try to take half of it. Also if you have children under the age of 18 they will reap the benefit of your new winnings.

So lets just say, you, spouse, and kids are already taken care of.

How far would you go beyond that immediate family in terms of "Taking care of for life" and what do you think should be the guideline. Like for example if two adult brothers are close. They are friendly at family functions, there is not previous family conflict, and they see each other and vaction together at least once a month. If one hit the lottery and now has $100 million in the bank, is it expected that the one brother "take care" of the other brother.

What about in laws, cousins, etc. Where would you draw the line.

For the record I don't have $100 milion in the bank (yet). If I did I would take care of my family, my parents, and my immediate relatives. Its just I wonder if this is why so many lottery winners become broke so fast.

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I don't think I would "take care of" anyone. What I would do is bump the standard of living up a couple of notches for a few select family members and very close friends.

3. devildog2067

devildog2067

I wouldn't take care of my brother, and he wouldn't take care of me. We're both adults and are responsible for our own fates.

At the same time, if either of us were in danger of starving in the streets, the other would not let that happen.

How else could it work?

4. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

I'd give it to the Democratic Party since they'd know better than me how to disburse/use it. :tbo:

5. simotek

simotek

I'd give $10m to my parents, $1.5m to my sister, $500k to a few close friends, and live off the rest.

6. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

My parents are dead, but if they were alive I would definitely take care of them and make sure they had all the good stuff they could never afford. That's the least I could do for everything they did for me.

As far as other family members, I'd throw a hell of a party for all of them, but would not otherwise foot the bill for any changes to their lifestyle. They're adults and need to care for themselves as such. Would I help them in an emergency? Of course, but I would not be their gravy train.

7. fwm

fwm

I don't understand the question. What is this 'share' you asked about.

None of my relatives (with the exception of my mother for the first 17 years) have ever helped me out, I'd return the favor.

8. Calico Jack

Calico Jack NO QUARTER

I'd give a million a piece to a select few people.

-Pirate

9. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Beyond my wife and kids and mother, I have one close friend and his wife I would share it with. Well, maybe her ex too, she would want to and I would probably agree. A lot of charities would be getting big donations though.

10. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Everyone in my family would go to ZERO as far as debt. Give 'em all a fresh start.

But first, I'd do the math and stuff along the lines who needs the most to arrive at the zero debt amount. Then I would take this amount give it to everyone. If this average amount ended up giving one or more of my family a "little something" left after being able to pay off all their bills. Goody good for them.

11. rauldduke1979

rauldduke1979

I wouldn't "take care" of anybody in my family, per se, but perhaps my sister and parents would enjoy some really interesting birthday/Christmas gifts.

My alma matter would also enjoy a significant donation, on the condition that they establish a scholarship in my name and under my terms. I don't think there's any reason that a student who carries a 4.0 GPA should have to pay tution, and if I had the means I'd make that happen (its a small school).

12. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

This.

...along the same lines though... I would probably throw a few million at starting a third political party. If you could keep the Kooks out it would probably gain a lot of momentum.

13. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

I have a brother and 4 close friends that I would take care of. I would pay off their mortgages and buy them a new truck of their choosing. And that would prob be it for the straight up handouts.

If someone has mortgage and a car payment and you make them go away. You have dramatically increased their standard of living.

Two of those guys are also Short track racers like me. We would all race on my dime.
    Maybe include my engine builder too. He likes to drive and trade his labor for a ride.

14. Brucev

Brucev

Re: OP. Easy answer. I would do with that pile of money the same things I did when some other money came into my hands... take care of my wife and children and finish paying off the note on my brother's house.

15. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

The hookers that delivered my blow.

16. Steve0853

Steve0853

I would try to help my immediate family members get into some kind of business that would enable them to be a success, but as far as large scale handouts, probably not.

I've seen what huge amounts of unearned money do to some people and its why I don't play powerball. It occured to me one day that I really didn't want to win.

Certainly, my wife and my sister could retire. They are old enough and deserve it. A nice home for my 2 kids. Try to buy one or two of the farms adjoining ours.

Might get a new car......but that dang Pilot just won't wear out.

OHH...OHHH!!!.......I know, a Python. Yeah....I'd get a Colt Python.

17. arclight610

arclight610

First off I would build my castle and mote. People could come up to my throne, kiss my ring, and plead their case on why I should give them money. If they are found unworthy, they get handed over to the dragon.

18. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Share with him [​IMG]

And probably with my wife and kids. . . .

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  19. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

I'd forget everyone I ever met. And drop a few 100k to ensure some don't come back around.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  20. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

If I've got more money than I could spend, and my immediate family is good, then I think the fun would be in the giving. I'd be like Elvis, going "BAM - Brand New Cadillac!" That would be for those I chose, not complete strangers, mind you.

I would "up the standard of living" for a few friends that have been good to me, whether I was up or down in life. A few co-workers, too.

I look at it like this...if that $100 million was just a dollar, would I give a penny to known good person that has helped me when they didn't have to? That one penny of a dollar is $1 million. Sure, no problem...maybe not a million, but a nice chunk of change.